Apparently the Leaf is not a big seller in the US these days

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Model 3 and Leaf neck and neck in Spain for sales. 1100 and change a piece.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cincodias.elpais.com/cincodias/2019/08/06/companias/1565117441_770872.amp.html

WetEV said:
At least it doesn't catch fire like a Tesla
My cars were part of a photoshoot today and they were definitely on fire.
ZiktzyJ.jpg

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf reported as best seller at dealerships in Ireland:

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/home/436364/kildare-buyers-flock-to-buy-nissan-leaf.html

Irish people have good taste. :lol: :lol:

Evoforce said:
cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
The battery grounding plate recall mentions no actual fires, just the hypothetical possibility for one.
I received my notice for this today. It makes no mention of fire.

It says
Due to a manufacturing issue, which has since been corrected, certain LEAF vehicle's lithium-ion battery bonding plates may not meet Nissan internal standards for corrosion resistance. The plates may corrode and in some areas where road salt is extensively used, could break. In rare cases, during vehicle servicing, if both plates break, the battery cover plate is removed and the vehicle is left in READY mode, a technician could be exposed to electric shock if all EV servicing instructions are not followed. Although no such incidents have been reported to Nissan, this voluntary service campaign is being conducted as a preventative measure out of an abundance of caution.
A hypothetical possibility of fire seems to have been invented by Evoforce in one of his earlier replies.

You are hilarious also and trying to mislead. I was told by service that a possible short because of this could lead to fire as well as what you listed. Just because it did not say that in the notice does not mean that it is not possible. After all, Nissan has a bad enough battery reputation. They are not going to put it in writing that a short could lead to fire in their battery... but service was verbally able to tell me this. More power to Nissan for making this service campaign to correct something that could be very bad for BEV's and their adoption. Newer Leafs are apparently not a part of this service campaign.
Then I blame your service advisor for inferring or making something up. If Nissan corporate issued a communication to them about a fire danger, it sure as heck would be in written form to them somewhere.

I posted a story at about the service advisor I spoke with at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=562230#p562230 who ended up buying an 8 bar Leaf that dropped to 7. He's been there for at least several years as I recognize him and his name from visits years ago.

Just accept that Nissan doesn't want to scare customers or bring on legal woes. It is not that hard to figure it out. Do you really want to escalate this and further scare the general public. I am glad Nissan seems to be getting ahead of any potential problem of their battery shorting.

Evoforce said:
Just accept that Nissan doesn't want to scare customers or bring on legal woes. It is not that hard to figure it out. Do you really want to escalate this and further scare the general public. I am glad Nissan seems to be getting ahead of any potential problem of their battery shorting.
My mostly uniformed impression is that this recall is protection for the dumb mechanic and is not a safety issue for an owner. I had the recall done and was able to see the parts and installation. They are metal tabs that act as extra grounding spots between the battery and chassis. It would take a remarkable set of circumstances (read: a REALLY dumb mechanic) to see a dangerous event:

1. Two broken or completely corroded tabs
2. High static electricity build-up in the battery enclosure
3. Disconnect of all the battery bolts holding the enclosure to the chassis, which also act as grounds
4. Complete failure of the cables that ground the battery
5. Disregard for all disassembly instructions

In summary, a potential danger to a person removing the battery from the car who does not have a clue.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf continuing to crush the market in Ireland!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs.com/news/366636/nissan-leaf-ireland-july-2019/amp/

Seems they have more than $10K Euro in incentives.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The USB on our new Leaf is much more powerful then the Gen 1 Leaf USB. Yes, 2 USB's would have been nice, but for 99% of the time, its not an issue.

Outside of the US, it looked like Canada Leaf sales were down (in spite of some long waiting times), Norway is up, Europe is steady. Too soon for the new LATAM, Australia, and South East Asia markets to get much data. Anyone see data from the UK?

Overall car sales were weak last month. Also overall EV sales seem to have flattened. I wonder if we have hit a wall in terms of market penetration as Early adopters have moved over now.

Ontario (which has a large percentage of the Canadian urban population) had a change of provincial government last year which immediately cut the rebate program for new cars (Hybrid - $7000, Full EV - $14,000). That put a damper on the national sales numbers.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Leaf is still crushing it in Ireland
Crushing? Based upon this and the earlier report from July, the Kona EV is selling slightly better than the LEAF there and may end the year with more total sales; it certainly sold more in the last month in the article that you linked to.

And the elephant-in-the-room isn't for sale in Ireland yet, and it smashed records in the nearby UK when it became available.

The USA just isn't pro EV like Europe and Asia. In a town of 20K I have seen 2 Leafs and 2 Teslas.

98% do not even know Nissan sells an EV.

The top three selling vehicles in the US are trucks.
A big chunk of the population in the US wants trucks and big SUVs, followed by crossovers.

Until there are EV trucks that can realistically replace ICE trucks at cost and range, ICE will still rule here.

Back