Carvana - What to Expect

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timeline says in-house test fleet to rollout end of this year with packs for lease to projected to start installation early next year. The merger with a charge station network gives me a bit of faith.

BakoFlow661 said:
Timeline says in-house test fleet to rollout end of this year with packs for lease to projected to start installation early next year. The merger with a charge station network gives me a bit of faith.

I hope that, if only for the sake of people in your situation, they keep that schedule and are successful. If you have to keep the car, you will want to get and install or have installed the heater On/Off switch that Nissan omitted. Does the car have heated seats and steering wheel?

Car has both features. I tend to neglect climate control altogether (even in the current triple digit weather). What benefit would the switch have if i rarely if ever need to run the heater?

BakoFlow661 said:
Car has both features. I tend to neglect climate control altogether (even in the current triple digit weather). What benefit would the switch have if i rarely if ever need to run the heater?

It's very good that it has the heated seats and steering wheel. Unless you add the heater switch, the car will preheat the fluid used for heat every time the ambient temp is in the middle sixties or lower, just to provide heat faster if needed. The only way to stop that without the On/Off switch is to leave the climate control off, which also loses you the use of the fan to defrost.

34 miles on the GOM on eco as i pulled away from the driveway. 4 miles of range left as i pulled into work today after 31 miles at aprox. 55mph average. Slight uphill.

Defrosting is a non-issue. Where i live, it gets that cold maybe a month out of the year. At that point i'd just run the defroster for the last 10-15 of my charging at work so that when i leave at 6am everything is good to good.

If your tires are inflated to the 36psi suggested by the label on the door sill, inflate them to 40 - 42psi. 36 is too low, and 42 might give you another mile or two of range. If you are ok with turning off the climate control completely, that will work to keep the heater off. (You can also preheat the car while plugged in to the charging cable, but if it's 120 volt charging there will be a net loss of charge. I used to preheat for 2-3 minutes, but your car's heater would need more like 10 minutes.) You can always get a crappy little 12 volt windshield defroster to place on the dash. Just make sure it doesn't draw more than 10 amps or it will blow the accessory fuse. I'll add a link to the Tips & Tricks guide.

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23297&p=482154

Good News Everyone! (Futurama anybody?)

Just got off the phone with Carvana and they had approved my return citing that the repair cost was indeed exceeding the value of the car. I believe that after explaining that they had sold me a car designed to fail with proper care and maitainence with the 5 yr span of my loan, they finally got a bit of the picture.

Carvana tests batteries to 50% and then says "Good to Go"

Nissan states that starting at 50% the battery has a chance and is every increasing that a module will fail in the battery causing a bricked car.

How fun.

I almost got one from carmax. "IF" you still want a leaf, carmax is perhaps a better way to do it. They usually have photos that include a picture of the dash with the battery SOH bars on the older models. Plus you can transfer a car you like to your nearest one for free or a small fee. I saw some 2015's on there recently for about 10-13k. The guy at Palmdale even let me check the car with leafspy. Just get yourself the OBII dongle and the free version of leafspy.

The only reason I didn't go through and get a used 2015 was that I scored a great deal on a new leftover 2018.

Just got off the phone with Carvana and they had approved my return citing that the repair cost was indeed exceeding the value of the car. I believe that after explaining that they had sold me a car designed to fail with proper care and maitainence with the 5 yr span of my loan, they finally got a bit of the picture.

Great news. I only hope they don't dump the car on someone else.

The Leaf was amazing. A fun experiment if anything else but overall a bad experience in car buying. Now that i know what to look for, I don't think i'd be going with anything less that 30Kwh. Really would love to get another one to be quite honest.

Read the section in the buying guide, that I linked earlier, about the 30kwh cars. Some of them have poor batteries and you don't want a repeat of your recent experience!

The person at https://www.facebook.com/groups/437741293059829/permalink/1288259064674710/?comment_id=1288279818005968&reply_comment_id=1288281838005766 sold a '13 SV (he said no backup camera) w/61K miles and he later said 11 capacity bars to Carvana for only $4K.

Sigh... Hope it stays at 11 bars for awhile.

Glad to hear things worked out for BakoFlow661.

Back