Upgradable / Swappable batteries finally arrive for the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bolt pattern (the position of the bolt holes on the car and battery) is the same for older LEAFs and the newest ones, so mounting the newer pack is just a matter of removing it from the newer totaled LEAF and bolting it under the older one that has a degraded 24 kWh pack. No adapter plates, welding, drilling, etc. is needed to perform the swap.

Eh...?

LeftieBiker said:
bolting it under the older one

Eh...?
After first having removed the old pack, I guess, with "one" referring to the older Leaf. Did you have visions of stacked batteries? Apart from some seriously reduced ground clearance and increased weight, it has some possibilities... ;)

I keep reading threads that promote we that replacement batteries are right around the corner. This is closer but not quite there yet.
I am very hopeful, but skeptical. The fact that they are promoting this in the press rather than trying to buy up a bunch of 2018 salvage Leafs at auction suggest they are not expecting to be doing many conversions.

For $9.000 I would do it if I was in Quebec. That means you need to get a totaled new Leaf for around $6000?

Calaveras said:
I keep reading threads that promote we that replacement batteries are right around the corner. This is closer but not quite there yet.
I am very hopeful, but skeptical. The fact that they are promoting this in the press rather than trying to buy up a bunch of 2018 salvage Leafs at auction suggest they are not expecting to be doing many conversions. ...

With 3 cars under their belt I suspect they are more keen to sell lots of kits than to become a refit factory. The key is the CAN "gateway".

Nubo said:
The key is the CAN "gateway".
But maybe they're just using EVs Enhanced HV battery translator:

https://evsenhanced.com/products/battery-translator/?fbclid=IwAR047lNsqvGzfIrwmNDjRqnLAAJ-RT3N74qXZVAWIuMGgeHadXY3AEqHAug

Unless you live in a frigid environment and need the battery warmer thing, I don't see how the Véhicules électriques Simon André kit would be much of a value-add to the EVs Enhanced kit.

[ Edit: or maybe it's the other way around; perhaps the Canadians invented it and the New Zealanders import the translator/gateway. ]

Oops. It seems that the EVs Enhanced people can only do 30 kWh packs at present. So it looks like the two products have developed independently, with the Canadians ahead of the New Zealanders.

DougWantsALeaf said:
The challenge is that there are not that many 40kW packs for salvage around.
That is one of the challenges, and it will not get much better because the 40 kWh pack run has been very short and small in the USA.

We will have to hope that Nissan throws us a bone and lets us buy packs for 3rd party installation.

SageBrush said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
That is one of the challenges, and it will not get much better because the 40 kWh pack run has been very short and small in the USA.

We will have to hope that Nissan throws us a bone and lets us buy packs for 3rd party installation.

Or someone makes an alternative, https://youtu.be/9q5v4sdx-Sc

DougWantsALeaf said:

The 1K install price seemed very reasonable.

$1,000 is not an install price.
That is the price for the kit and you DIY the install. If you need help installing it that is extra.

coulomb said:
Nubo said:
The key is the CAN "gateway".
But maybe they're just using EVs Enhanced HV battery translator:

https://evsenhanced.com/products/battery-translator/?fbclid=IwAR047lNsqvGzfIrwmNDjRqnLAAJ-RT3N74qXZVAWIuMGgeHadXY3AEqHAug

Unless you live in a frigid environment and need the battery warmer thing, I don't see how the Véhicules électriques Simon André kit would be much of a value-add to the EVs Enhanced kit.

[ Edit: or maybe it's the other way around; perhaps the Canadians invented it and the New Zealanders import the translator/gateway. ]

I was speaking in general terms. Man-in-the-middle device is not a new invention, it's just a matter of doing the work to divine the proprietary CAN messaging the car manufacturer uses.

Back