Tesla to J1772 Adapter

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkleaf

I'm looking at purchasing this tesla to j1772 adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TP9VSQM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2FH00NID6HFSB&psc=1

It's 50amps ... they also make an 80amp version... My question is what is the maximum Ampage the Nissan Leaf 2019 can take? Should I get the 50amp or 80amp version? They also make a 40amp version...

DougWantsALeaf said:
Does this work? Can you use the Tesla non-supercharge stations?

Yep. Depending on wether it is a first or second generation Tesla wall charger the connection can take up to 30 seconds as the handshake is done with the adapter. We have used ours maybe 8 to 10 times now. Never not had success.

We keep ours on that little compartment in the back where the inflator is.

Check out the competing product at Quick Charge Power, the JDapter Stub. A few bucks cheaper...

https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-40-Amp-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm

webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:
webeleafowners said:
We have one. Works well. 50 amp is the biggest a leaf needs. (Technically a Leaf can pull max 27 ish amps).

40 amp, actually, but 50 is a more common breaker size.

How does one do the math. I was just going with 27.5 amps x 240volts = 6.6KW

You are just doing the wrong math. 120% of the circuit rating is required for continuous loads like an EVSE. 27.5 amps x 1.2 = 33 amps. The next size breaker up is 40 amps.

LeftieBiker said:
webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:

You are just doing the wrong math. 120% of the circuit rating is required for continuous loads like an EVSE. 27.5 amps x 1.2 = 33 amps. The next size breaker up is 40 amps.

Ah yes. I think I knew that. We have a 50 amp breaker feeding a 14-50 Nema which we plug our Juice box into. The other EVSE is a 240 12 amp on a 15 amp double breaker. We are maxed on our panel though. 100 amp town house blah blah blah. Meh. The two make a good combo. One fairly robust and one for of a slower overnight wake up mostly charged car kinda thing. Should be handy with the Eplus next year.

LeftieBiker said:
webeleafowners said:
LeftieBiker said:

Almost correct. Continuous calculated load is 80% of breaker or 1.25x load. 35 amp breakers while not as readily used are readily available. https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=35+amp+breaker

But breakers are sized used to protect wiring. If I had 10 AWG THWN handy I would have no issue wiring a EVSE that draws 27.5 amps protected with a 35 amp breaker. A 35 amp breaker can handle 28 amps continuous and 10 AWG THHN can handle 35 amps.

So what I did at my barn with a 60 amp sub panel. I used what I had handy. I had 8 AWG THHN, a 40 amp breaker and a 14-50R to Power my Nissan OEM EVSE. With 8AWG THHN I could have even used a 50 amp breaker if I had one handy. But I didn’t need the extra capacity for the EVSE.

RvAZTHCl.jpg

fZu6skWl.jpg

webeleafowners said:
We have one. Works well. 50 amp is the biggest a leaf needs. (Technically a Leaf can pull max 27 ish amps).

Do you have the 50amp or 40amp model?

So everyone recommends I get the 40AMP model because the LEAF can't handle anything more than that anyway?

bkleaf said:
webeleafowners said:

Do you have the 50amp or 40amp model?

I have the 40 amp...I guess. I don’t know if there were two models when I bought mine. Works as advertised. Pricey but handy little thing. We have lots of wineries around here who installed the Tesla wall chargers. They had no idea there was more than one standard and were quite often surprised when we asked them why they only wanted Tesla clientele. At least two have since bought an adapter that they lend out. Funny.

bkleaf said:
So everyone recommends I get the 40AMP model because the LEAF can't handle anything more than that anyway?

The only reason for getting more than a 40 amp circuit would be to provide more capacity for a future EV with a faster onboard charger.

Back