LeafSpy and OBDII device

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyShackleford

I hope it isn't too obnoxious to start a new thread, but there are so many old ones and so much conflicting and confusing info that I am lost ... I would like to try LeafSpy and I'm not sure what OBD2 device to purchase; I will be using an Android device (and perhaps my Mac laptop).

One basic confusion: some of the OBD2 devices seem to support wifi. Is LeafSpy able to work in that mode ? Seems like it'd be nice to be able to monitor one's charging status at a greater distance than the 10 meters I believe BLE supports (i.e. in my living room).

Really, just a link to purchase a device that will properly - with that I'd be thrilled. Thanks.

I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755N61PW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have a Pixel 2 and it connects over BLE. I don't have Leaf Spy Pro but I can connect to the OBD with the Leaf Spy Lite. There might be a cheaper option that works but I'm a newbie and this is what I bought.

So I just got the recommended (thanks) LELink device and excited to start playing with it, but I just ran across this disclaimer in the owner's manual:

"Installing an aftermarket On-Board Di- agnostic (OBD) plug-in device that uses the port during normal driving, for example remote insurance com- pany monitoring, remote vehicle diag- nostics, telematics or engine repro- gramming, may cause interference or damage to vehicle systems. We do not recommend or endorse the use of any aftermarket OBD plug-in devices, un- less specifically approved by NISSAN. The vehicle warranty may not cover damage caused by any aftermarket plug-in device."

I assume this isn't a real problem, at least if one uses the rec'd OBD2 devices ?

It is a legal disclaimer that Nissan hopes will limit their liability if something happens. It is up to you to decide how you will use LEAF Spy and your OBDII adapter. I keep the adapter plugged in unless I am parking for extended time at my office or the airport and have had no issues with my 2011 and 2015, but the newer cars may have more traffic on the CAN Bus networks.

As long as the device is one of the "safe" ones, and you remove it before taking the car to a dealership, you should be fine. I only use mine in the car for a few minutes a year.

RustyShackleford said:
LeftieBiker said:
I only use mine in the car for a few minutes a year.

I'm confused. I thought one of the main uses of LeafSpy was to monitor battery charge level; seems like you'd always want it active.

Most Leafs have a state of charge (SOC) display. LeafSpy is mainly useful for two things: monitoring battery capacity, and reading and clearing error codes. It is also handy for changing some settings that usually require a dealer to change. Unless you need to use 99.9% of the car's range for a trip, it isn't needed all the time.

Back