Nissan No Charge to Charge Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
telero said:
At the ChargePoint link it seems like it only allows you to register a new account, but we already have an existing account we'd like linked. Anyone have/resolve this issue before? I submitted a support request, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I was in a similar situation. I fixed it after calling CharePoint customer service. You basically have to add/activate the new card number to your existing account. After logging in to the ChargePoint site, go to:
My Account > Manage Cards > Activate More Cards
Then enter the required details and click on Activate Card.

The No Charge to Charge card has a unique serial number.

henrydehoja said:
After logging in to the ChargePoint site, go to:

I did try that, using the number on the EZ-Charge NCTC card, but it said that the system couldn't find the serial number. Did you have to call and have them add the EZ-Charge number to their system before it would let you add it to your account?

telero said:
I did try that, using the number on the EZ-Charge NCTC card, but it said that the system couldn't find the serial number. Did you have to call and have them add the EZ-Charge number to their system before it would let you add it to your account?

Ah, It's coming back to me now. I did it back in Sept. 2018. I think I did have to call to have them add the EZ-Charge card to my existing account.

I have a few cards on my ChargePoint account. I ran into issues with EVGo too, so that led me to getting additional cards. It was a mess.

So, I've got this extra NCTC, I traded in my '18 for my '19 and got another one. I don't really need both so anyone want to buy it, send me a PM. It's valid till 8/13/2020 as you can see.

j7Rbo6d.png

Technically, it's against terms of service to use a NCTC card on a car other than what it's registered to.

I don't know if EVgo tracks VINs but it should be readable via CHAdeMO since it uses the CAN protocol.

https://www.ez-charge.com/faq
What if I have two electric vehicles? Can I use one card for both?
If you received your EZ-Charge card, you are prohibited from using the same EZ-Charge card to charge more than one vehicle.

Can everyone in my family use it?
The No Charge to Charge Program is intended only for charging a single vehicle, so family members can use the same EZ-Charge card for the vehicle that it is associated with. Violation of this provision may result in the deactivation of your card.

cwerdna said:
Technically, it's against terms of service to use a NCTC card on a car other than what it's registered to.
Maybe, I've never read the terms of service in detail.
The FAQ you quoted doesn't say anything about continuing to use it on the original EV.

cwerdna said:
I don't know if EVgo tracks VINs but it should be readable via CHAdeMO since it uses the CAN protocol.
Definitely works, I've swiped my card at EVGo locations for multiple times as a curiosity for other EVs; once for a Tesla, a couple times for Bolt.

umdkevin said:
Definitely works, I've swiped my card at EVGo locations for multiple times as a curiosity for other EVs; once for a Tesla, a couple times for Bolt.
I understand that it works, but if they retrieve and store VINs at the station and want to do an audit of the registered vehicle vs. sessions started for a given card/account, they have every right to cut you off.

umdkevin said:
cwerdna said:
they have every right to cut you off.
Not likely.

So you're not interested?
No, I'm not.

Don't know how likely it is, but they have the right to terminate your card if you violate their terms of service, per the passages and page I cited.

This is a risk to the buyer and to you.

So, I've got this extra NCTC, I traded in my '18 for my '19 and got another one. I don't really need both so anyone want to buy it, send me a PM. It's valid till 8/13/2020 as you can see.

j7Rbo6d.png

umdkevin said:

j7Rbo6d.png

Advertising your intent on a public forum is probably not the wisest thing you could do.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Advertising your intent on a public forum is probably not the wisest thing you could do.
Gosh, everyone reacting like I'm doing something sinister here.

I bought a 2018 Nissan Leaf and it came with features and incentives, like power seats, A/C, and a rebate from my local utility. Another one was free charging for 2 years. I paid for this, trust me it was priced into the out the door pricing one way or another.

Fast forward 8 months, I bought a 2019 Nissan Leaf. It came with similar features including another 2 year charging credits.

The dealership I traded in the 2018 didn't negotiate me trading in the NCTC and as a result I currently have TWO VALID accounts for fee charging. All I'm doing is offering someone the opportunity to utilize the remaining balance on one of those cards. It's a valid account for a single car for the next year, I don't think this violates anything.

It's not like I'm leaving the card at a charger with a sign suggesting everyone that drives up; "Here, use this card and steal electricity"

umdkevin said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Gosh, everyone reacting like I'm doing something sinister here.

I bought a 2018 Nissan Leaf and it came with features and incentives, like power seats, A/C, and a rebate from my local utility. Another one was free charging for 2 years. I paid for this, trust me it was priced into the out the door pricing one way or another.

Fast forward 8 months, I bought a 2019 Nissan Leaf. It came with similar features including another 2 year charging credits.

The dealership I traded in the 2018 didn't negotiate me trading in the NCTC and as a result I currently have TWO VALID accounts for fee charging. All I'm doing is offering someone the opportunity to utilize the remaining balance on one of those cards. It's a valid account for a single car for the next year, I don't think this violates anything.

It's not like I'm leaving the card at a charger with a sign suggesting everyone that drives up; "Here, use this card and steal electricity"

You can call it sinister if you please but lezz be real.

You ARE violating the terms of agreement for the perk.

ChargePoint support confirmed that the best way to link EZ-Charge card to the CP account is to add the two letters "OE" in front of the EZ serial number. This will make the serial to be 10 characters. Works without having to call in for them to manually add it.

telero said:
henrydehoja said:
After logging in to the ChargePoint site, go to:

jdcbomb said:
ChargePoint support confirmed that the best way to link EZ-Charge card to the CP account is to add the two letters "OE" in front of the EZ serial number. This will make the serial to be 10 characters. Works without having to call in for them to manually add it.

Awesome! That worked perfectly. Thank you for finding and sharing that information.

I'm pretty bummed that they discontinued this program, doubly so that my dealership didn't seemingly know that it ended. Bought my car yesterday and they gave me the card, told me about the free two year charging thing, which would have been a nice perk. The program expired two months ago... I'll contact the dealership to see if there's anything they can do about it but I don't expect that they will, and it's not like it was mentioned in the purchase contract. At the very least, hopefully they'll stop handing them out and getting people's hopes up.

Lemaign said:
I'm pretty bummed that they discontinued this program, doubly so that my dealership didn't seemingly know that it ended. Bought my car yesterday and they gave me the card, told me about the free two year charging thing, which would have been a nice perk. The program expired two months ago... I'll contact the dealership to see if there's anything they can do about it but I don't expect that they will, and it's not like it was mentioned in the purchase contract. At the very least, hopefully they'll stop handing them out and getting people's hopes up.

1) they shouldn't stop handing them out because you can register with several charging providers and only have to carry the one card.

2) Obviously they should have to told you the program expired in July.

3) Unless you got something in writing, you don't have much of a chance. They might offer you a free charge up and car wash.

DaveinOlyWA said:
1) they shouldn't stop handing them out because you can register with several charging providers and only have to carry the one card.

2) Obviously they should have to told you the program expired in July.

3) Unless you got something in writing, you don't have much of a chance. They might offer you a free charge up and car wash.
Good to know that the card still has some use. I guess that means it has to be registered with each network separately, since the EZ-Charge website doesn't seem to allow it to be activated at all.

And yeah, not expecting much. I dropped them a note about it, as they talked it up about having one free charge per day - just a matter of retraining their staff, I guess. Our dealership already offers free charging during their business hours and they have quite a few chargers, so I figure they'll just remind me that I can come by any time and use their chargers. Can't fault them for not doing their part to do what they can to make life easier for EV owners.

Back