NA RapidGate Fix

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveinOlyWA

I was contacted by my local LEAF Tech that there is now a software fix for RapidGate for North America. Unfortunately, he is going on vaca and earliest I can get the update will not be until August 1st. I asked him if there was a reference # but as of now, there is not but he called it "LBC Warranty Update"

FYI; he had no prior warning this was coming out other than he installed the update on a LEAF this morning.

Interesting!

I would have bet money that was not going to be offered.
We'll have to see if it is the same "fix" as that offered in Europe.

We should have a lottery: maximum battery temp from DCFC that will be reported to MNL. I pick 5F below performance hobbling.

Well I am not expecting "30 kwh" results where I get full speed charging over 80% SOC at any temperature (well up the 128º anyways...) but if I can gain half that, I will be ecstatic. Since I have put on 10,000 + miles since the last baseline I collected, I am tempted to go out and do a few QC's to make a new one before the update to see how much of a gain we get.

DaveinOlyWA said:
OrientExpress said:
This appears to be the update released last year for the 30kWh cars with phantom degradation.

And what do you have that supports your guess?

I think the bigger question is what do you have that supports your guess, other than a second hand guess from a dealer tech?

The TSB database for Nissan does not have anything for the '18 LEAF that is even vaguely similar to what your rumor. A check of the VIN on my '18 car does not show anything either.

Anything is possible, but so far there is nothing that would suggest that there is a basis. We look forward to your August 1st report.

OrientExpress said:
other than a second hand guess from a dealer tech?
This ^^ is BS
Dave posted that the tech has installed the update on a car.

As for what the update is, Dave jumped the gun and we will be more informed in a week or three.
I hope Dave asks for the update designation; and if possible any accompanying documentation.

To sum up Dave's report, he had heard from his dealer's service department that one of their Techs had discovered a SW patch for the LEAF's BMS, but the tech was on vacation until August 1st, and know one else in the shop knew about this update. Dave in the mean time made an appointment to have this update installed.

To me this simply did not pass a basic sniff test, and my research could not find any TSB for the LEAF that would fit the description of this kind SW update, but did sound very much like the update last year for the 30kWh cars and the phantom degradation bug.

So I went a bit further and reached out to Nissan this morning to get more information on this, and here is the response I received from Jeff Wandell from Nissan's Product and Technology Communications:

"I can confirm that a software update that reduced the quick charging safeguards was offered to customers in Europe. We’re currently investigating offering the software in the U.S. for 2018 – 2019 40 kWh LEAFs but have nothing to announce at this time.
As things progress forward, I’ll let you know of any changes".

So in summary, no there isn't a charge speed update at this point in time. There may be one in the future, but not today.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks for that post. There is a new recall for a battery bonding plate. Maybe it is that.

I don''t think so, when I googled the wording of Dave's description of the fix the only think that came up from multiple sources was the 30kWh phantom degradation fix.

Ok, I was contacted by the LEAF tech who asked me what "RapidGate" was. I told him and he said he just installed an update to address the issue.

Without further detail, I have to think the tech saw the term in the description of the reason the work was being done. He did say he installed it on a 40 kwh LEAF. Although I did ask him if there was a Update #, reference code, etc and he only said it was called LBC Warranty Update. I didn't push him on details because he is well known in the region as being THE LEAF tech so I had very little reason to doubt that he knew what he was talking about.

So I called his advisor and told him I wanted the RapidGate fix and he looked and only found the Battery plate issue. I then told him that the tech would know and so he talked to the tech and came back and said "Ok, I know what you are looking for and this is brand new. In fact, I don't even have an estimate of how long it will take to do"

so we set appt and I will find out on the 1st.

So there we are. As far as the lack of information from Nissan, I am now wondering if a customer simply pushed the issue and some higher up authorized the update. After all, its not like it doesn't exist.

So that is what I have.

If the best LEAF tech in the region has never heard of RAPIDGATE, that is just sad.
It probably means that it is a waste of time to contact Nissan representatives for information.

SageBrush said:
If the best LEAF tech in the region has never heard of RAPIDGATE, that is just sad.
It probably means that it is a waste of time to contact Nissan representatives for information.

Well he is a LEAF Tech so likely very familiar with Nissan terms. RapidGate was a term invented by someone in the EU last Spring. Either way;

I present this as not further evidence but only in that some people may not be as connected as they think :)

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/23/nissan-quietly-releases-rapidgate-software-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

Well he is a LEAF Tech so likely very familiar with Nissan terms. RapidGate was a term invented by someone in the EU last Spring.
I don't care who invented the term. It has been plastered over every EV related news, commentary, and discussion forum on the planet for close to two years. Can you say "out of touch ?"

Anyway, this does look to be a real thing although it does not show up yet in the Nissan database.
https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/TSB/TSB_xml/nmIndex.aspx

If I was attracted to conspiracies I would say that Nissan is trying very hard to limit exposure and car updates while being able to plead in the future plausible deniability since the update was 'offered.' For now I'll just go with general incompetence although both being true may well be closer to the mark.

I think @metricus is no longer active on MNL. Too bad; he would want this update. Anybody know how to contact him ?

SageBrush said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
SageBrush said:

Well he is a LEAF Tech so likely very familiar with Nissan terms. RapidGate was a term invented by someone in the EU last Spring.
I don't care who invented the term. It has been plastered over every EV related news, commentary, and discussion forum on the planet for close to two years.

Mebbee so and he did get the term from "official" Nissan repair order... But guessing the service writer simply wrote what the customer said. I am more interested in who this person was? I want to shake his hand!

Thanks for keeping it relatively civil to this point, folks. My "Clean Technica" news feed had an article about it this morning. Here is a link to it:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/07/2...ftware-update-for-north-american-leaf-owners/

And here is a quote for those who just want the meat of it:

In a screenshot provided to CleanTechnica by one of our sources, the bulletin is listed as classification EL19-018 and reference NTB19-056. It’s titled “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.” The bulletin tells technicians to apply the updated software if the customer complains of slow DC fast charging, or if they complain of inability to fast charge at all after several consecutive sessions. The software is offered for all 2018 and 2019 LEAFs,

So, while still not a certainty, a good push in the direction of Dave's technician.

I reached out again to Nissan about this, and this time I received this reply:

"I apologize as I know this is different information than I recently provided you. At this point yes, I can confirm that Nissan has released a software update for early 2018-2019 LEAF customers with a 40kWh battery in the U.S. and Canada to update quick charging software. This update allows for faster charging during multiple quick charging sessions. Customers can visit their local Nissan dealership to confirm if they’re vehicle requires an update and schedule one if needed."

So good, This will certainly placate those that feel that this is a big deal. Congratulations to all.

Back