Replacement brake pad kits

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I removed rear caliper to measure. And oh damn they are small :lol:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFlqFwgeZr51704K3

Still don't get it. There are two types, one for older vehicles, one for newer. And difference is less than 1mm in both directions.
So it doesn't make any sense :evil:

arnis said:
So I removed rear caliper to measure. And oh damn they are small :lol:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sFlqFwgeZr51704K3

Still don't get it. There are two types, one for older vehicles, one for newer. And difference is less than 1mm in both directions.
So it doesn't make any sense :evil:

Iirc, one of the LEAF changes along the way had to do with the brakes; something to reduce the pressure of the pads as they rest against the rotor when not in use, to eek out some efficiency. 2013 model year I think. The calipers were changed so perhaps the pads had to change somewhat also to accomodate that.

EVDRIVER said:
I can't believe people are needing pads on an EV, the brake contact on he LEAF must be more extreme than I thought, an EV of this weight should go to about 175-250K miles before needing pads. Certainly at least 100K. Even with the lower regen on a LEAF I find it surprising for lower milage replacements, certainly no one should need rotors, that should be a lifetime part on a LEAF.

My 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid did not need new Pads at 100k .. The Regen Does indeed help your Pads last a very long time.

I am doing my Fronts on my 2011 LEAF this week, the pads are fine and would likely go another 30K but my Front Right Rotor seems to be warped. So for about 150 bucks ill just replace the Front Rotors and Pads.

130 bucks for Coated Rotors to help with the Rust and Pads are included. At RockAuto
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWER STOP CRK6492 Nissan LEAF

"Z17 Evolution Geomet® Coated Kit
Power Stop’s Evolution Geomet® Coated brake kits feature rotors that are manufactured with Power Stop’s Tru-Cast technology and coated with an innovative EVO rust preventative coating. Designed to withstand harsh environmental elements such as rain, snow, and corrosive road spray, these kits are perfect for drivers seeking additional protection against rust related brake performance issues.

Features & Benefits:

Rotors have EVO Coat Rust Preventative Coating
Rotors are cast and machined to industry leading specifications
Z17 Evolution Plus Ceramic Pads provide noise free and dust free stopping power
Rotors are direct bolt-on replacements for factory equipment
Hardware included with pads
High Temperature Brake Lubricant included with every kit"

I'll throw this out there: Some Leaf's have different brake calipers. I found this out when I bought a second set of nissan wheels for my leaf for winter. They wouldn't clear the brakes on my 2013 without a 5mm spacer on the front. They work fine on my 2014 because the caliper isn't as wide.

Correct. Pre June 2014 Leafs take brake pads that are 163mm long and later ones take pads that are 141mm long.
That's a huge difference.
296mm and 283mm diameter for brake discs respectively.

arnis said:
Correct. Pre June 2014 Leafs take brake pads that are 163mm long and later ones take pads that are 141mm long.
That's a huge difference.
296mm and 283mm diameter for brake discs respectively.

That's worth remembering. Thanks to you both.

That definitely applies to EU, not confirmed with US models (as Sunderland factory likely doesn't export to US).
There is also differences at the rear axle as Leaf was originally with electronic parking brake and
in 2013 they switched to footbrake. Later on again with electronic. There are multiple versions for pads sale :lol:

Changed pads myself this time. Got them from Delphi. They look like almost OEM, maybe better backplate/shim.
First pads from factory lasted 87000km, though they were excessively worn. Second set replaced by dealer lasted
until yesterday, up to 148000km - few mm still left though shims were destroyed and corroded - just in time.. therefore ~75 000km per set.
Rear pads have been replaced once but will last more so will update later.
So next round likely in 2021 :lol:

PS: rotors are down to 24,90mm from 28,0mm. Even though max wear is 2mm, they look perfect. I will not change them for no reason.

4/2021

Amazon

Brake pad Centric 301.09050 and AutoShack SCD1094 Ceramic <$40 delivered with taxes

2011 Leaf is at 72k +/- Rear were 20% and Front 50% -- original brake pads

Aloha

Just adding a post with my experience, Leaf's entire life in the rust belt USA.

2011 Leaf, 70% SoH @ 100,000km (100Mm?? I feel like this is how we should all be talking...)

Not much regen except summer/warm temps & below 40% SoC.

Bought used @ 88Mm, the original front pads were down to wear indicators. Lots of pitting/scoring on inside of front rotors (was able to get rotors turned at local auto store for all 4 @ $30. I have the larger Japan-built Leaf / dual piston calipers.

When I went to replace the pads, I found that one of the pistons was seized on each side, so I had a combo of stuck calipers and seized pistons. Ended up replacing front & rear calipers with reman zinc-coated ones for ~$300, along with Bosch quietcast pads.

1Mm later, breaks are good and rotors look impeccable.

My lesson is to re-lube calipers guides every year if you live in a salt region...I'm sure they would have lasted far longer had they been maintained.

I recently changed front pads and rotors for the first time.

2011 leaf, original owner. 11 years, 144k miles, 230k km. Second battery (2016 change), down 2 bars on the current one.

My new ones are organic and I don’t like the dust.

bytre said:
I recently changed front pads and rotors for the first time.

2011 leaf, original owner. 11 years, 144k miles, 230k km. Second battery (2016 change), down 2 bars on the current one.

My new ones are organic and I don’t like the dust.

You should have went with Ceramic pads as they are "dustless", ie not that bright color covering your wheels. Note that Ceramic cost more than organic and have a slightly better bite, no where near as harsh as the semi-metallic/metallic pads.

Back