Bought a 2013 Leaf With Low Capacity

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First off, many thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I now know a lot about the Leaf and if anyone in the SF area needs to run a test or similar, message me.

Shift would not take the car unless title was in my name. I had to register it, pay tax, and wait for the title. Title came yesterday, and this morning I sold the car to Shift. I end up with a slight profit and lots of valuable knowledge. :)

danix said:
First off, many thanks to everyone who replied on this thread. I now know a lot about the Leaf and if anyone in the SF area needs to run a test or similar, message me.

Shift would not take the car unless title was in my name. I had to register it, pay tax, and wait for the title. Title came yesterday, and this morning I sold the car to Shift. I end up with a slight profit and lots of valuable knowledge. :)

Congrats!

LeftieBiker said:
That's the car you bought with a degraded battery? They are advertising a completely incorrect range, obviously.
Yeah ... they say 75 miles when it should be 74 :lol:

That is the Monroney label data, right ?

LeftieBiker said:
Dealers should never post the original range number for a 5+ year old EV without explicitly noting it as such.
Because you said so ? This moderator gig is going to your head.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
Dealers should never post the original range number for a 5+ year old EV without explicitly noting it as such.

Because unless it is listed as the original range, the figure is a lie - in print. There is little enough to protect Leaf buyers as it is.

Now stop criticizing me or I'll turn you into a newt.

LeftieBiker said:
SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:

Because unless it is listed as the original range, the figure is a lie - in print. There is little enough to protect Leaf buyers as it is.
No used car is expected to meet that bar of new car specs. They are used. It's true that the LEAF is 3 SD from the mean but any line you draw is arbitrary and capricious. You will have to find a different way to protect or inform consumers.

Now stop criticizing me or I'll turn you into a newt.
That does not sound so bad.

This particular Leaf is down four bars, IIRC. It has a range of about 40 miles, not 75. It is common enough to advertise the original EPA range, but to give that number - or a figure close to it - as the current range is no different from advertising, say, a Civic hybrid with a bad battery as getting 45MPG when it is completely incapable of doing so. I'm a bit surprised that you think dealers should be able to lie about something as basic and vital as range when selling used EVs. We'll just have to disagree on this.

LeftieBiker said:
This particular Leaf is down four bars, IIRC. It has a range of about 40 miles, not 75. It is common enough to advertise the original EPA range, but to give that number - or a figure close to it - as the current range is no different from advertising, say, a Civic hybrid with a bad battery as getting 45MPG when it is completely incapable of doing so. I'm a bit surprised that you think dealers should be able to lie about something as basic and vital as range when selling used EVs. We'll just have to disagree on this.
You misunderstand my point. The dealer is simply reporting new car specs. You can BET that they do not represent the car as new or that it meets new car specs. You are misreading the advert.

Does the dealer want you to think that the car will have a 75 mile range ? Of course. But that is besides the point.
And incidentally, the dealer is just as clueless as it is misleading. It paid over $6k for that car. Would you like to legislate minimum competency ? It is not a bad idea -- revoke voting rights from trumpers, for a start.

LeftieBiker said:
I have already stated that listing the EPA range is acceptable, if misleading. Reporting "75.0 mi battery range" with no context is lying.
I am saying that every used car advertised displays the specs of the car when new. This is not a LEAF specific stunt.

Back