EV, PHEV specs/dimensions compared

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JRP3 said:
A used Tesla Model S has large carrying capacity, long range, and access to the Supercharger network.
I've considered it, and haven't ruled it out, but I have a few concerns: it's probably too large/long for my garage and for the crowded parking around here; the supercharger network around here is also very crowded (I've seen a line of about 8 cars waiting at the one behind the Computer History Museum = hours of waiting); and I don't have confidence that Tesla will even be around in another five years. They've already started laying off support staff. They've never been profitable and that can't last forever. I don't believe Musk's representations to the contrary or much of anything he says. Still, I'm not ready to buy just yet and things may smooth out there soon. The Model 3 looks like a better bet for me if I were to do Tesla, but I guess you have to order in advance and wait. I see them all over around here.

Rat said:
They've never been profitable and that can't last forever.
They were profitable the previous 2 quarters and they should be profitable after this quarter. 90% of what you read in the press is either completely wrong or skewed to be negative. I've been hearing "Tesla will be bankrupt" for over 12 years now and they are currently in better shape than ever. I thought you were looking for larger carrying capacity but if not the Model 3 is certainly the best EV deal on the planet.

As I said, I haven't ruled out Tesla, but I think I'm really interested in a PHEV. I'm looking at sedans, coupes and hatchbacks, too, not just SUVs. I don't need carrying capacity. An SUV would be valuable only for its height and for the fact most have AWD and I sometimes go onto dirt roads, shoulders, unpaved parking areas, etc. in the mountains, but both of those are minor considerations.

I assume you know the Model 3 comes in an AWD version as well as RWD. Though most reports say that with the weight distribution and traction control the RWD does quite well in all but extreme situations.

Rat said:
This thread hasn't been updated in a while and the link on the first post is now dead. Does anyone have a good link for a source that compares all the PHEVs? My 2011 Leaf is beginning to seem inadequate. I had assumed when I bought that the infrastructure would be there long before now to be able to pop in almost anywhere and charge up fully in a matter of minutes. It hasn't happened, so I'm limited to about 40 miles for practical purposes (freeway speed, 2-4 people in car, A/C full blast). There are other shortcomings, too (e.g. heater, sound system). So I'm consider a PHEV, possibly a small SUV if there's a good one. I've read a few articles, but things seem to change so fast and there is always a "killer" model on the horizon. I'd consider another BEV if it had a true range of at least 150 miles and the other limitations I mentioned have been solved. I can afford to go high-end, but I'm not looking for status/style/luxury, just the stuff I mentioned. At the moment, the most attractive candidate on paper is the Volvo XC60 with the Outlander close behind. Recommendations or links welcome.
You could start here:
Plug-In Hybrid Car Range, Price & More Compared For U.S.
https://insideevs.com/phev-range-price-compared-u-s/

Rat said:
This thread hasn't been updated in a while and the link on the first post is now dead. Does anyone have a good link for a source that compares all the PHEVs? My 2011 Leaf is beginning to seem inadequate. I had assumed when I bought that the infrastructure would be there long before now to be able to pop in almost anywhere and charge up fully in a matter of minutes. It hasn't happened, so I'm limited to about 40 miles for practical purposes (freeway speed, 2-4 people in car, A/C full blast). There are other shortcomings, too (e.g. heater, sound system). So I'm consider a PHEV, possibly a small SUV if there's a good one. I've read a few articles, but things seem to change so fast and there is always a "killer" model on the horizon. I'd consider another BEV if it had a true range of at least 150 miles and the other limitations I mentioned have been solved. I can afford to go high-end, but I'm not looking for status/style/luxury, just the stuff I mentioned. At the moment, the most attractive candidate on paper is the Volvo XC60 with the Outlander close behind. Recommendations or links welcome.
I started a thread comparing the Outlander PHEV to Suburu Crosstrek PHEV a few days ago, it hasn't went a long way but you might find it interesting. Originally I was thinking the Outlander but upon further investigating other than slightly less EV range, the Crosstrek seems like a better option, well if ICE MPG is important to you :)
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28211
IMO the thing about a used Telsa S would be the cost of parts, repair. I've read in more than one place they can be prohibitively expensive to keep going if they start developing problems. Nice new vehicles but used could be a can of worms......

I looked at 10 different models over the weekend, including BEVs (Tesla Model 3, Chevy Bolt) and several PHEVs. In terms of size, form factor and fit and finish, the Crosstrek was in the sweet spot for me. I thought the seats and dashboard layout were excellent based on sitting in it. However, the big drawback right now is that the dealer doesn't have any PHEVs and doesn't know when he's going to get any. He's hoping for July. I didn't test drive the ICE model, but I test drove three other cars: Bolt, Volvo XC60, and Outlander PHEV. I didn't like the Bolt much, mainly because of its small size and mediocre fit and finish. I liked both the Volvo and Outlander, but both are verging on too large. I liked the Outlander better just in driving feel, but the Volvo had more bells and whistles. At this point I'm not ready to pick a winner. I'd like to test drive the Crosstrek but will have to wait until the dealers have them. The limited EV range is disappointing, but since I'm retired and don't have a commute, 90% of my trips are under 15 miles, so that's not a big problem. I don't go to the snow, but I do go into the local hills for geocaching, so I drive on dirt roads, unpaved parking areas, rough rutty shoulders, etc. and the AWD and higher ground clearance of the SUVs are pluses for me. There's a Volvo XC40 supposedly on the way, too, so I'm inclined to wait at least a bit for news on that and the Crosstrek.

The Fusion Energi and Honda Clarity are too big for my garage. The Hyundai Ioniq was surprisingly good sitting in the interior, and they have 3 different versions: PHEV, EV, and Hybrid. It appeared comparable to the Leaf in most respects. The Audi A3 Sportback e-tron is way too small. The rear seat is virtually useless unless you're a family of midgets. The BMW i3 looks good on specs and has good quality, but it's ugly and overpriced in my opinion. I liked the Tesla better than I thought I would, although I didn't test drive it. I was surprised to learn that the dealer can deliver one next day; at least that's what the salesman said. I thought there was a long waiting list.

I was surprised to learn that the dealer can deliver one next day; at least that's what the salesman said. I thought there was a long waiting list.

That depends on your specific configuration and location. They may have your desired combination on hand or nearby.

Any 2022 Chevy Bolt owners know the actual dimensions of the rear cargo area without the seats folded down? I'm trying to figure out if I can get my daughter's wheelchair in one. It's small. We can get it in the trunk of our Volvo if we take its wheels off. I'm still shopping and want to be sure. It would be real nice to just be able to pick it up and put it in, leaving the wheels on.

Thank you,
Angela

If it isn't a folding wheelchair, I would say no. The Bolt EUV supposedly has more space there that didn't get measured because of the rules for measuring cargo spaces (?). I'd definitely look at that version instead.

LeftieBiker said:
The Bolt EUV supposedly has more space there that didn't get measured because of the rules for measuring cargo spaces (?). I'd definitely look at that version instead.
If true, it is a pretty minor difference.

GM wanted a redesign that had a more 'modern' (read: prominent) hood shape so they increased the dimension of that part of the car. It is completely wasted space that is easy to see when the hood is open and causes the overall car dimensions to be larger. I don't know if that is the dumbest space design I have ever read about in a car but it is a leading candidate.

Definitely take the wheelchair for a practical test.

Back