GE Durastation jumper help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggsy

I have had my Durastation for over 4 years, no issues. I am selling/giving my Leaf to my grandson and he only has access to a 30amp circuit. I know the Durastation must be de-rated and came with a jumper wire to do that. My problem, I have long ago lost/misplaced/disposed of the jumper wire.

Can anyone tell me the wire size and pin size of the jumper. Is the wire size important or will anything 20 - 26awg be okay to use? I can order a jumper wire on-line easy enough I just don't know what size I need. Apparently GE Industrial no longer supports the residential durastation.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Randy

It's like just a 5 volt signal.
If you knew which terminals the jumper went on any 18 gauge or smalller would work.
If the pins use a plug type jumper I have seen some one lost or ran out of jumper plugs and they just bent prongs together, crude but effective.
Alagator clip might work.
If it's a jack that a pin plugs into then just jamming the largest size wire that will fit into the hole works too.

If you are in Southern California (near Disneyland). I can read the EVSE and you can try various combinations. I have both a load tester and a standalone reader. The load tester with no loads connected is the most convenient. But I will not loan it out but you can check it here.

Google is your friend. I downloaded the install manual. Jumper J21 sets 16A or 24A. You want 24A for a 30A circuit.

Thanks for the replies, I have the instructions and know how to get the voltage I need. I just needed to know the size of the wire (thanks oilpan). I know I need female to female, the pins are larger than a computer motherboard, I just don't know how to order what I need size wise. If I was keeping it myself, I would just use the alligator clip, however, since it will be my grandson using it, I don't want to leave it where it may come loose.

biggsy said:
Thanks for the replies, I have the instructions and know how to get the voltage I need. I just needed to know the size of the wire (thanks oilpan). I know I need female to female, the pins are larger than a computer motherboard, I just don't know how to order what I need size wise. If I was keeping it myself, I would just use the alligator clip, however, since it will be my grandson using it, I don't want to leave it where it may come loose.

For a 30A circuit you want #10 wire. For a 20A circuit #12 is adequate,

J21 controls either 16A for a 20A circuit or 24A for a 30A circuit,
The jumper should be on pins 1 & 2 for 24A .

Not having a Durastation I do not know the size of the jumper. Computers typically use two sizes. Late hard drives and laptop drives use tiny jumpers.

GlennD,
Thanks for the info, but my only issue is the jumper wire itself. I no longer have the jumper that came with my unit and need to get/make another one and needed specs on the pin and jumper wire only. I am aware of all the other issues, installing the jumper and 20/30/40 amp service. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

biggsy said:
GlennD,
Thanks for the info, but my only issue is the jumper wire itself. I no longer have the jumper that came with my unit and need to get/make another one and needed specs on the pin and jumper wire only. I am aware of all the other issues, installing the jumper and 20/30/40 amp service. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.
The wire is black and #18 gauge, I don't know the specs of the plug other than to say it has the ability to hold 5 wires and the pins on the board aren't particularly thin and are squarish. Truthfully I'd think an 18 gauge insulated clip lead(alligator clips on both end) would work but course the correct plug would be nice too :)

biggsy said:

You could go old-school with wire-wrapping https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvEDM-m9CE

Thanks all,
I used a 18-22awg butt splice connector and trimmed the cover back to the edge of the metal. It fit snugly over the pin, used an 18awg wire, works perfectly.

Back