Kona Electric Lifetime battery warranty vs leaf warranty.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
@SanCarlosJeff https://bit.ly/2rjHGGj

Thanks for that link. It's nice to see an official brochure that confirms the 8yr warranty and also has all the other info for this model. This looks like a great option for my parents next car.

Great option if you live in California or the Northeast but for me? By the time it gets here, it will have a lot of competition. But for anyone with minimal passenger needs, its a great option. The base trim is loaded making the Bolt at nearly any price a lesser deal.

My IonQi brochure says the battery is lifetime but the actulal warranty has limits. I think they are confusing the Hybrid with the EV. In California at least the Hybrid cars have a much longer warranty on the battery.

Not sure about Kona, but All Ionics hybrids and EV have lifetime HV battery warranty to the original owner (non transferable) and degradation limit is 70% (clarified by Hyundai rep, according to ionic forum).

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/kona-electric/index.aspx currently says
A battery warranty that lasts a lifetime.

Hyundai Assurance is renowned as America’s Best Warranty, so it should be no surprise that Kona Electric's lithium-ion polymer battery is covered by a Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty*- an industry exclusive.

The footnote says
Kona EV Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty
The Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty applies to all U.S. 2019 model-year Kona Electrics. The Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner. The Lifetime Electric Battery Warranty excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).

Leaf15 said:
Not sure about Kona, but All Ionics hybrids and EV have lifetime HV battery warranty to the original owner (non transferable) and degradation limit is 70% (clarified by Hyundai rep, according to ionic forum).

I thought that program ended?

**edit**

Ok it was the unlimited "mileage" leases that ended. I knew there was an "unlimited" in there somewhere... :roll:

aluminumwelder said:
Even though the 2019 Kona is more expensive than the leaf, when you figure in the lifetime battery warranty for the original buyer, it seems like a better deal in the long run?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsVDdgLXho

You are confusing degradation with defect ?

SageBrush said:
You are confusing degradation with defect ?
It would not be confused in the court of law. Lost capacity is a defect. The degradation baseline is well established by the industry already. Hyundai would replace the battery to avoid getting another scandal by any cost, besides they might just pass some portion of the cost to LG as they most likely have an agreement to back those warranty claims.
Ionic is pretty much bulletproof as it has way bigger battery than Hyundai is advertising. The 64kWh battery on Kona & Niro does not have much of extra buffers in capacity, so I have no idea what those warranty claims are based on. Maybe they just hope an average buyer would replace vehicles every 3-6 years (not me for sure).

SageBrush said:
Leaf15 said:
Lost capacity is a defect
No

Absolutely correct. Battery capacity degradation is normal wear and tear, and unless specifically warranted as in the LEAF's traction battery, any warranty on a battery is for workmanship defects. This well-settled in case law.

Have to agree. Unless there is a specifically stated degradation level that triggers the warranty claim, I have to say the Kona has no degradation warranty at all. If anyone has stumbled across such a statement from Hyundai, please post it here because I have found nothing but a warranty covering pack failure.

Also, does Hyundai specify if a new or used pack would be used to replace a defective battery? Like Nissan, do they only guarantee a minimum percent capacity remaining on the replacement pack?

I would try one more time for the most advanced members:
1. Battery capacity degradation caused by normal wear and tear - is not a defect and there is nothing to worry about as warranties for all EV cover those entirely and they simply would never have any warranty claim to deal with and none of us should worry about as it is small/slow and it is the best case scenario for any EV owner and EV manufacturer.
2. Battery capacity degradation caused by not normal wear and tear is a defect. This condition usually due to one or more battery cells, the battery comprised of, premature failure ergo it was caused by a defect in manufacturing of those few bad cells. Most of EV batteries cells are perfectly fine, just one or two can abruptly make battery only half or third capacity, specifically in batteries designed with prismatic cells. It is pretty easy to prove this fact as battery test would reveal those bad cells.
3. Some batteries are serviceable, like in Ionic. Good engineering means those cells or modules of cells with bad cells could be replaced very economically. For example Ionic has most of the HV battery components serviceable and anybody can buy any battery component: https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/parts-list/2018-hyundai-ioniq-electric/battery-cable.html?Diagram=37371A13
It seems only few companies replace a whole battery, but better off, they need to replace engineers who designed those dumb, expensive liability monolith traps.
So no, Hyundai/Kia would never need to replace the whole battery. Hyundai/Kia would just repair your battery very economically.
4. Degradation is only one of the aspects to worry about, there is plenty of other bad things that could happen to the battery, burned heaters, relays, sensors, BMS controller and etc. Just tiny temp sensor failure would make BMS to disable the whole battery, without any regards to the remaining capacity. Would you rather change the sensor or replace a whole battery? Lifetime EV battery warranty to the original owner who keeps car(s) for long time is a great thing to have. The secondary owners would also benefit as they could repair the battery economically as well.

I guess most of the concerns on Leaf forum are originating from the past Leaf battery issues, but it does not mean it is universal to all EV batteries, their design and manufacturers.

Back