Star Trek: Discovery (possible spoilers)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Orville is definitely much more like the ST TV series (plural) than like anything made by J.J. Abrams - and for me that's a good thing. Little did I know, as I enjoyed the last couple of seasons of Fringe, that the same people would soon be ruining both the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises. ;)

ST:D is supposedly not JJ-verse. It claims to be Prime universe and not Kelvin universe (aka JJ-verse).

But, the inside of the ships look too much like JJ-verse. Weird.

cwerdna said:
ST:D is supposedly not JJ-verse. It claims to be Prime universe and not Kelvin universe (aka JJ-verse).

The insides of the ships, the Klingons, the general feel, that's all Abrams. It's why I can wait to see the series.

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:

The insides of the ships, the Klingons, the general feel, that's all Abrams. It's why I can wait to see the series.
Haha.

Well, they have yet another look for the Klingons in ST:D. And, they differ depending on the house.

The show runners/designers could've made the ships inside and out look more modern (not retro like TOS) but they didn't need make them feel like JJ-verse.

Just watch the show. You know you want to. ;)

ST:D just leaves me feeling cheated. More crappy retreading/recreating of past history, much like the Abrams retreads. Blech. I guess a lifetime of my liking Star Trek has finally been exhausted. (FWIW: I saw the first movie in the theatre the day it opened).

I've watched The Orville but the underlying sophomoric humor just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Neither seems worth the time investment.

But who really cares about either when The Expanse is currently airing.

It is arguably the best science fiction TV series ever, and about to go into it's 4th season on Amazon Prime (having been canceled by SyFy -- because they don't do science fiction over there). It's based upon an incredible book series where the 8th of 9 planned novels is coming out next month. It tells a single ongoing story. The solar-system wide human space-traveling civilization is based on realistic principles. It just gets it right in every way possible.

I highly recommend it - both reading the books and watching the show (although they diverge slightly - both are work the time investment).

This is an awesome background to the world of the TV series (almost completely spoiler free) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjrI0YvZYA

(where-as I tell people to get through the first season of Babylon 5 in order to get to the part that pulls you in, for The Expanse I suggest getting through the first 3 episodes, which are slightly slower).

I don't think I've ever heard of The Expanse. Thanks. I won't keep Amazon Prime just to watch it, unless they offer a month free, sometime...

Cwerdna, I did watch the first (cut off) ep of STD, and was talking about that show above. Having several varieties of Klingon doesn't make it more appealing to me.

The Expanse was pretty decent overall. I watched all 3 seasons when it aired originally on SyFy.

And yes, it got cancelled for SyFy and Amazon saved it. Season 4 had started filming awhile ago. Many fans petitioned to get Amazon, Netflix and Hulu to save it. It worked. FWIW, I will be turning on my Amazon Prime subscription once season 4 “airs”, just like I did for the most recent season of Man in the High Castle.

If you liked the re-imagining of BSG, you might like The Expanse. Some folks have compared to to “GOT” in space. I don’t watch GOT, so I can’t compare.

It is gritty and the first ep or two is kinda confusing at first. It makes a lot more sense as the show goes on. I had some favorite eps like CQB and one much later involving Fleet Admiral Nguyen (don’t want to spoil but it was Triple Point). The Martians (to me), are pretty cool. They're folks or decedents of humans who emigrate to Mars and their society seems very militaristic.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm still groggy from limited sleep..."BSG"?
Battlestar Galactica, the RDM (Ronald D. Moore) version as opposed to BSG TOS

The latter only lasted as season and has Lorne Greene as Commander Adama. Starbuck was a man whereas Starbuck was a woman in the RDM version.

RDM BSG had Edward James Olmos (EJO) as Commander Bill Adama. Ugh about the first names...

Right, right. I watched the reboot, but it was a tough slog - good in places, excruciating in many, many others. And I have never, ever, grown to hate a musical score so much! When I watched the original again, I was surprised to find that the reboot had actually gotten almost all plot lines from it - "hybrids" included.

The original, BTW, lasted two seasons or a bit more. Look for "Galactica 1980." Buried in the cast, wearing a robot mask, you will also find Jonathan Harris, aka Dr Smith, from Lost In Space. Gods, I hated that character...

I didn't much care for the BSG reboot, so I wouldn't tie liking that to liking The Expanse.

One of the similarities between The Expanse and GOT is both are based upon a series of books. At least one of these series of books is definitely going to be finished. :D

LeftieBiker said:
I just got what is supposed to be a one month free trial of Prime video, and will be checking out The Expanse later tonight.
Hope you can make it thru the first few eps of The Expanse, esp. since it can be hard to follow at first. The scene of the woman in the locker makes perfect sense much further into the show and is explained, eventually.

Ep 4 (CQB) was really good.

One thing the bothered me about the show was the Belter creole.

Will comment on RDM BSG later.

Also, if you like the idea of a show about an alternate reality where Japan and Germany won WWII and thus now control the West and East Coast states, Hitler's still alive, etc. then you'd like Man in the High Castle, an Amazon show. It takes place in the 50s or 60s, IIRC. So, think about the technology and vehicles then. In the show, Germany is more technologically advanced than Japan. Rufus Sewell does a pretty job of playing an evil Nazi: Obergruppenführer John Smith. That show's admittedly a bit slow though.

We're pretty familiar with the alternate history genre. I'll have a look at it with my housemate. And I won't be afraid to skim a bit at first with the Expanse.

The Expanse has a story arc. I do NOT recommend that you skip around. Stuff will not make sense.

The episodes are mostly not self-contained like Star Trek TOS eps and most TNG eps.

Ditto for MitHC.

I wrote "skim" rather than "skip around." Don't worry. I'm talking about scanning forward passed dull scenes, that's all. Heh - at least my OCD only encompasses me. ;)

I now have a free 1 month trial of Prime Video. I can add to that a free 1 week trial of CBS All-Access video, streamed through the Prime app on our TiVo. So I can watch a few eps of STD for free, or all of them for $5.99. I'm going to watch The Expanse, ep 1, later, and decide after that. My idea of "binge watching" is no more than 2 eps a day, and usually just one.

LeftieBiker said:
Right, right. I watched the reboot, but it was a tough slog - good in places, excruciating in many, many others. And I have never, ever, grown to hate a musical score so much! When I watched the original again, I was surprised to find that the reboot had actually gotten almost all plot lines from it - "hybrids" included.

The original, BTW, lasted two seasons or a bit more. Look for "Galactica 1980." Buried in the cast, wearing a robot mask, you will also find Jonathan Harris, aka Dr Smith, from Lost In Space. Gods, I hated that character...
Hmmm... re: BSG RDM version, overall the series was good, some parts excellent but some parts weren't so good like part when Baltar was on trial. I also didn't care about the politics in the show. There was also (IMHO) too much sex in the 1st season (or so) for a sci-fi show.

No, BSG TOS only lasted one season: https://galactica.fandom.com/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica_(1978_series) and https://web.archive.org/web/2016120...ki.org/wiki/Portal:Battlestar_Galactica_(TOS) . Galactica 1980 which was AWFUL was a spinoff: https://web.archive.org/web/20161202085131/http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Portal:Galactica_1980. And, yes, I've seen all of both.

There was a lot of good stuff at the old Battlestar Wiki (https://web.archive.org/web/20161226235519/http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page) and then that all got dismantled (IIRC) and a new incomplete version "replaced", I think.

Well, yeah... the RDM version was a re-imagined version. Ron Moore and the writers/producers decided to change a lot of stuff like Boomer's, Starbuck's and Cain's genders, Col Tigh's race, getting rid of the funky jargon (felgercarb, yahren, micron, centon, etc. that I liked), and adding these goofy names (e.g. Kara Thrace, Lee Adama, etc.) Baltar's role changed and so on. Some purists of TOS hated how different the RDM version was that they called it GINO (Galactica In Name Only). Ron Moore ended up naming one of the Sixes Gina, because of that and he'd refer to Gina in the podcasts until later her name came up (Gina Invierer).

On BSG TOS, the Cylons were just robots... well, there was some reptilian race that created them but that race died off, leaving only the robots. In the RDM version, the humans created them.

Prior to the RDM version, apparently, the (now late) Richard Hatch (played Apollo in TOS and Tom Zerek in RDM version not the naked guy on Survivor) had his own ideas for a resurrection but it never beyond a trailer, AFAIK (my info on this is limited and is from memory). I found a copy of the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s8heJPX8xk. I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlestar_Galactica:_The_Second_Coming, but can't speak to its accuracy.

People who didn't like the Ron Moore idea and wanted Hatch's version called Ron Moore, the MooreRon or something like that.

MIHC is based upon a Philip K. Dick book (like Minority Report). However, those who have read the book said the show goes way beyond the timeline covered by the book, besides a lot of stuff being different.

We watched MIHC last night, and I then watched the first and second eps of STD this morning. I liked both ok, my HM (housemate) thought the acting and scripting in the MIHC was poor, but the premise made it worth watching a bit more. I still find the taint of JJA and the other "Fringe Dwellers" a bit off-putting, but since I'm almost done rewatching SG: Atlantis, I'm both more tolerant of schlock now, and also looking for a new show to mine for entertainment. So I'll watch MIHC with my HM, and STD on my own. For up to two months. ;)

Not all of the Cylons were robots. Watch Galactica '80 again, if you don't believe me. I actually liked about half the eps of that, and have one left that I never saw.

Back