nissan connect monthly fee?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilly

OK, my car dealer saleswoman said, "I don't know anything about electric cars. I have to read you this script. Here's your keys, ha, ha." Fast forward 10 months and I only just found out on youtube that there's a phone app that I can use to control a few basic functions in my car such as check the state of charge and recharge it. This is perfect as I will be on vacation for a month so I want to be sure that my car doesn't vampire drain until the battery is dead. (I know, you guys said that there's no vampire drain on the leaf like the tesla, but better safe than sorry). So, I read on this forum and after googling, I find out that there's a fee to use nissan connect? However, I call NIssan connect and they tell me that there's no fee. I ask, "well, how does the car connect to the web as it will need an internet connection to connect to my phone." The guy then reads from a script, "Your phone is compatible with the car via nissan connect." He doesn't know the answer.

So, is there a monthly fee to use nissan connect? if so, how much? thanks.

If you have a 2018 or later LEAF all of the telematics features are available for a 3 month trial, after that most the features are still free free as well as the connectivity services. There is an FAQ on the EV connect App that describes this a bit further.

The following car telematics are subscription based after the trial:
Flashing headlights
Horn and Light on
Valet Alert
Speed Alert
Curfew Alert
Boundary Alert

These telematic services continue to be complimentary:
Lock and Unlock
Remote charging initiation
Remote climate control initiation
Car finder
Plan your Route
Reports and Activity

The cellular connect services are complimentary as well.

An unpublished feature is that Nissan is currently using the SiriusXM telematic OTA SW updates to the Radio as a test. I don't know the full extent of the OTA updates, but I have seen that Apple CarPlay has been updated on my car. Toyota GM Honda and FCA use SiriusXM as well, and do OTA updates for their head units OTA with SiriusXM. The service does have the ability to do System updates, and FCA and GM are testing System updates. I do not believe that vehicle system SW updates are being pushed for Nissan yet.

Here is an interesting story on telematic vehicle technology

The EV app is showing the Door Lock / Unlock functions will expire in 3 months after initial trial subscription. Or did they change what services would be complimentary versus cost based so that the Door functions are now free?

Just wanted to post that CarPlay is based off the version of iOS on your iPhone.

Has anyone else had a 2018 LEAF longer than 3 months and have had the Lock / Unlock functions in the app or website continue to work without a paid subscription?

Manual seems to say 3 months for some features, while 3 years for others. The website here says "3 year trial for most but not all features" :

https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/features-app/system-requirements/nissan-connect-ev

I certainly hope that I don't have to pay $11.99+tax after 3 years just to turn on the climate control?

jdcbomb said:
Manual seems to say 3 months for some features, while 3 years for others. The website here says "3 year trial for most but not all features" :

https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/features-app/system-requirements/nissan-connect-ev

I certainly hope that I don't have to pay $11.99+tax after 3 years just to turn on the climate control?

jdcomb
Thanks for the post.
When I look at the EV Connect app from Nissan on my iPhone, some of the features such as horn and lights on, car controls, boundary alerts, door lock and unlock, show and expiration of 7/5/19 (I had them extended 3 months because EV Connect did not work for 2 months).
But the question raised above it looks like these function are included for 3 years not expiring in 3/6 months as my phone indicates.
Can someone shed light on which is correct?

In short, it seems to be up in the air. I talked to the dealer, and he said the 1st Gen LEAFs still have access due to the various issues they had in the past. It's sort of been a courtesy thing that Nissan has been kept running since then. As they now state in the website for all model years, it's for "3 years." This would be the "basic" features like climate / charge controls. It may OR may not mean they will continue the 100 pct free access for these basic features in 2021. We'll have to wait and see unless someone here has more inside knowledge. Whatever the fee for basic remote control, it better not be $11.99...incredibly too expensive for this service.

If you have a 2018 or later LEAF all of the telematics features are available for a 3 month trial, after that most the features are still free free as well as the connectivity services. There is an FAQ on the EV connect App that describes this a bit further.

Flashing headlights
Horn and Light on
Valet Alert
Speed Alert
Curfew Alert
Boundary Alert

Lock and Unlock
Car finder
Plan your Route
Reports and Activity

OrientExpress said:

Flashing headlights
Horn and Light on
Valet Alert
Speed Alert
Curfew Alert
Boundary Alert

Lock and Unlock
Car finder
Plan your Route
Reports and Activity

Thanks for the summary there. It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/features-app/system-requirements/nissan-connect-ev

Example:
Features are only available on the 2018 & 2019 Nissan LEAF.
$11.99 PER MONTH AFTER 3 YEAR TRIAL [*]
Remote Door Lock/Unlock...

And then both conflict EACH OTHER with the screen shot from my EV app view here (Lock / Unlock expires after 6 months):

https://imgur.com/a/KUcCPqM

Hilarious?

jdcbomb said:
Thanks It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/features-app/system-requirements/nissan-connect-ev

Yes, that could well be, but the EV Connect business is just a couple of folks in Franklin, and since the business is a work in progress, chances are that they have not updated the page that describes the subscription offering. This is similar to the original CarWings that also had a 3 year complimentary term and ended up being open-ended without a paid subscription.

But regardless, What I listed below is what the EVConnect is offering today for vehicles that have been in operation for more than three months. My 18 LEAF is almost 11 months old and that is what it has that is still complimentary.

OrientExpress said:
jdcbomb said:
Thanks It seems that your list directly conflicts with what is published here at Nissan's site: https://www.nissanusa.com/connect/features-app/system-requirements/nissan-connect-ev

Yes, that could well be, but the EV Connect business is just a couple of folks in Franklin, and since the business is a work in progress, chances are that they have not updated the page that describes the subscription offering. This is similar to the original CarWings that also had a 3 year complimentary term and ended up being open-ended without a paid subscription.

But regardless, What I listed below is what the EVConnect is offering today for vehicles that have been in operation for more than three months. My 18 LEAF is almost 11 months old and that is what it has that is still complimentary.

Thanks for confirming that it still works. When you go into your EV app widget manager, does it actually still show an expiration date next to the Lock / Unlock widgets?

Yes it shows that the lock/unlock widgets expire on April 8, 2021 which is when my lease is up. So essentially they are gratis for the length of my lease.

Now the question is are they complimentary for just those that leased and for their term (which is three years) or does everyone get 3 years complimentary?

Funny and confusing how yours shows an expiration 3 years after your lease start date. In comparison, mine shows the lock / unlock widgets shutting down exactly 6 months from the day I purchased mine at the dealer. One would think a purchase would have at least 3 years access...

Has Carwings stopped providing data feeds via car’s modem on battery usage, eco trees and relative rank? The last update I can get is as of 12/31 (get feed but same 12/31) yet my Nissan Connect app shows that Nissan has my January data.
I have a 2013 and have not signed up for service other than my account log in. I only have the capacity status and charge/climate control start and stop. Those items look to be in complimentary group cited in the thread.

Thanks for the info, I really only use the app for climate control and that seems to be free. Only thing that has an expiration is door unlock in 2021, and my premium has already expired.

jdcbomb said:
In short, it seems to be up in the air. I talked to the dealer, and he said the 1st Gen LEAFs still have access due to the various issues they had in the past. It's sort of been a courtesy thing that Nissan has been kept running since then. As they now state in the website for all model years, it's for "3 years." This would be the "basic" features like climate / charge controls. It may OR may not mean they will continue the 100 pct free access for these basic features in 2021. We'll have to wait and see unless someone here has more inside knowledge. Whatever the fee for basic remote control, it better not be $11.99...incredibly too expensive for this service.
A subscription fee for EVConnect (née CARWINGS) has been a topic here since the 2011’s came out; early expectations were $5/month or $50/year and considered ridiculously expensive for the nascent and unreliable service. Nissan has threatened charging for telematics since then as something always 3 years away. Then we received a letter saying the service would remain free. Now paying for the service has reared its ugly head again with some reality to it this time around. As a 2012 owner, my EVConnect, when it works, has no expiration dates for any of the offered services showing up on the app (v6.2.7) for iOS. It also doesn’t have some of the services newer models enjoy such as remote lock/unlock.

So I agree with @jdcbomb in that his dealer could be actually right (I know, a rarity) about 1st Gen LEAFs having free access. Could be because none of the services to be charged for are available on our cars, but hey, same thing, right?

Back