Repair crashed Nissan Leaf 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmont

Hello guys,

I'm repairing a crashed Nissan Leaf 2011.

The front airbags (driver and passanger) has been deploy.
The passanger seat belt has been deploy but the driver seat belt not (I do not know why!!! For me it was a failure of the airbag system)

Images of the car:
sAe45MF.jpg

tkY8zUm.jpg

AGCNl0o.jpg

I had already changed some parts and fix other parts to confirm that the car works well. Unfortunately the car dont enter in Drive Mode and don't Charge.
I clean all strange DTC errors with Leaf Spy Pro, but i have a few fixes DTC Errors.

AYnMeEg.png

I dont have the Heater Water Pump connected because of a leak. But i have all high voltage cables connected and all 12v cables connected, except the headlights and exterior lights.

Some people tell me when you have a crash with the Nissan Leaf the software lock the high voltage connection and i need to unlock the system with the Nissan Consult. But some people say that it is not necessary. So I do not know who to believe.

I arrived to a point that i need to know if i need the Nissan Consult to reboot the system. And not to go after errors that do not exist.

Tnks 4 your help

If the front seatbelts did not "deploy" (do you mean show stretch/burn marks indicative of use in a big crash?), there's an easy explanation: the driver wasn't wearing it at the time. There's nothing but fear of death/injury, and fear of the law, to make a driver buckle up, unlike many US-market cars in the 1970's that required the driver's seatbelt be buckled in order to allow the vehicle to start.

RonDawg said:
If the front seatbelts did not "deploy" (do you mean show stretch/burn marks indicative of use in a big crash?), there's an easy explanation: the driver wasn't wearing it at the time. There's nothing but fear of death/injury, and fear of the law, to make a driver buckle up, unlike many US-market cars in the 1970's that required the driver's seatbelt be buckled in order to allow the vehicle to start.

I was alone in the car and wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.

It is curious because the passenger's seatbelt airbag has deployed and the driver's dont.

baustin said:
I can't imagine this being a very cost-effective endeavor. Why are you trying to repair one in such a terrible condition?

Its a challenge for me. And I'am learning how this car works ;)

bmont said:
RonDawg said:

I was alone in the car and wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.

It is curious because the passenger's seatbelt airbag has deployed and the driver's dont.

Seatbelt airbag? This must be unique to the European market, since our cars here in North America don’t have that. Our Leafs have the usual 3 point seatbelts, plus the driver’s airbag in the steering wheel (which looks deployed), the passenger airbag in the dash above the glovebox, curtain airbags above the windows on both sides, and the thorax “side impact” airbag in the outboard part of the seat roughly about the same level as your main body cavity. But no “seatbelt airbag” for us.

bmont said:
baustin said:
I can't imagine this being a very cost-effective endeavor. Why are you trying to repair one in such a terrible condition?

Everyone's free to spend their hobby/free time however they wish, but I second this opinion. Pull the battery pack, sell or part it out for the cells, and use the money towards another cheap leaf fixer upper. You can probably pay for a salvage with minor damage for the cost of the phone with parted out...

Just my 2c...

Lothsahn said:
bmont said:
baustin said:

Everyone's free to spend their hobby/free time however they wish, but I second this opinion. Pull the battery pack, sell or part it out for the cells, and use the money towards another cheap leaf fixer upper. You can probably pay for a salvage with minor damage for the cost of the phone with parted out...

Just my 2c...

Unfortunately in my country the Nissan Leaf are not very cheap as in the United States. The cheapest Nissan Leaf in Portugal costs € 10,000 with 80km of autonomy.

Dala said:
How is the repair going? More pictures?

Maybe airbag detection sensors are crushed in the front, which prevents car from starting?

What codes do you have left?

The major problem its P31E1 00C0 EV/HEV HV System Interlock Error EVC-305.

I allready clean the crash from the SRS Unit. And the DTC B1209 Frontal Colision Detection its clear.

bmont said:
Unfortunately in my country the Nissan Leaf are not very cheap as in the United States. The cheapest Nissan Leaf in Portugal costs € 10,000 with 80km of autonomy.
A good reason to post your location in the information which appears at the left of your posts.

Dooglas said:
bmont said:
A good reason to post your location in the information which appears at the left of your posts.

I agree. I already added the location. Tnks ;)

Hi, I have a question. How did you clear the frontal collision detection.
I am on the same challenge repairing a 40 kwh leaf i got a B1421 frontal collision present, I replaced everything including the module but this message &service ev system are present.
Any help would be appreciated

I've a 30kWh late 2016 model and just bought a front crashed 2018 40kWh and I'm starting to face the same issues.
At the moment I've to solve:

1) (SOLVED) a current leak during type2 charging (no idea in this moment if it's the on board charger issue, connector issue or portable charger issue)
---> solved! I was charging in a place without a correct ground connection. Tested in a line with a near and correct connected ground do not present the leak. Without ground the variable leak was from 12v to 80v AC.

2) unlock some seatbelts
3) change the two frontal airbags
4) solve all actual DTCs

The idea was to sell the car as pare parts and reuse the 40kWh battery in my 2016 leaf... but the condition of the crashed car is so good that I'm plannig to repair and sell the 2016 model.

So I' interested in any documentation, help and suggestions.

cheers
Ginetto from Galicia (Spain)

my newbie investigation abut repair a modern car faced that:

1) unlock seatbelt is not possible other than hardware hacking them loosing a security feature (tensioning during a crash if the airbag is activated). All documented in br.pdf of the previous year leaf models.

The question is... are there other leaf of nissan models where I can reuse not locked seat belts? e.g. Using the part code of my right passenger seat belt (638265001D) I can find a similar (638265001G) code in a leaf e+ model... is it compatible? can I use from another car of the nissan group?

2) Airbag obviously have to be replaced BUT, AFAIU, need to replace the airbag electronic too that is paired (no idea for what reason) with the airbag... I suppose (in my ignorance) a bridge can solve compatibility but I wouldn't introduce custom electronic in a so important safety feature.
Not clear to me if the airbag activator sensor have to be substituted or paired. p.s I don't know where is it, but I suppose is the same place as in previous models.

3) removing frontal crash DTC. No idea what is the procedure to remove it

here my DTCs
Screen%20Shot%202021-02-21%20at%2019.26.26.png

(p.s. how to add images in this post?)

cheers

ginetto said:
I've a 30kWh late 2016 model and just bought a front crashed 2018 40kWh and I'm starting to face the same issues.
At the moment I've to solve:

1) (SOLVED) a current leak during type2 charging (no idea in this moment if it's the on board charger issue, connector issue or portable charger issue)
---> solved! I was charging in a place without a correct ground connection. Tested in a line with a near and correct connected ground do not present the leak. Without ground the variable leak was from 12v to 80v AC.

2) unlock some seatbelts
3) change the two frontal airbags
4) solve all actual DTCs

The idea was to sell the car as pare parts and reuse the 40kWh battery in my 2016 leaf... but the condition of the crashed car is so good that I'm plannig to repair and sell the 2016 model.

So I' interested in any documentation, help and suggestions.

cheers
Ginetto from Galicia (Spain)

bmont said:

At that price it might pay to import a “lightly” crashed or flood damaged US Spec leaf for parts.

Generally copart is very keen to export junk cars overseas, just need to be very careful with buyers fees and shipping.

Unlike runs and drives used cars there should not be any us government imposed restrictions on export, no idea how your country handles import however

Good Luck

I can talk about spain! I suppose inportugal there is a similar situation.
Adding transport fees, duty and import taxes plus costs for registration locally make the cost comparable to buy it used locally. Only in Norway (that does not belongs to EU economic community) is cheaper due to lack of import duty free and almost 0 taxes for EVs. For the rest of EU is almost the same situation.

rmay635703 said:
bmont said:

At that price it might pay to import a “lightly” crashed or flood damaged US Spec leaf for parts.

Generally copart is very keen to export junk cars overseas, just need to be very careful with buyers fees and shipping.

Unlike runs and drives used cars there should not be any us government imposed restrictions on export, no idea how your country handles import however

Good Luck

FYI this is the advance:
All airbags ignition resistance has a stabe 2.5ohms. Its possible to safetly measure with any ohmeter, to fire up you need some Amps not the mmilivolts generated by the ohmeter.
1) driver airbag is compatible with a duoble stage airbage of a nissan quashqay
2) passenger airbag use any passenger leaf airbag of the previous years
3) driver and passenger seatbelt can be of the previous years. The only possible change is the higher mount plate where can vary for heach model. Just get an old seatbelt, drill the rivets of the plate and put that you have of the fired satbelt. It's necessary to unroll and unmount the seatbelt to allow changing the plate.
4) Some nissan seatbelt (Quashqay, x-trail, notes) have the same lower part mount, you just have to use your fired seatbelt upper plate in the new one. For example it's possible to use frontal passenger seatbelt of Nissan Notes (you can find for 20€) and adapt it as rear seatbelt just changing the higher mount plate
5) I'm still in the phase to clear crash data from th eairbag module eeprom. Here my eeprom dump and procedure to do for 2€ only after desoldered the eeprom. https://mhhauto.com/Thread-Nissan-Leaf-2018-Airbag-ECU-0285014170-Repair-EEPROM-ST95128RT

Hi folks,

I have just come across this thread as I too have started repairing a crashed 2011 Leaf.

Luckily I had easy access to parts so it wasn't so hard.

- I replaced the driver's steering wheel-mounted airbag without too many issues. The connector was melted so I carefully disassembled the plastic part and harvested that from another car.
- I replaced the driver's seat belt assembly. This was a straight swap without issue.
- I removed the dash and repaired the hole left by the passenger side airbag deployment. I did this by removing the blown airbag and then holding the plastic parts in place while I used a hot-knife attachment on my soldering iron to effectively plastic-weld it back together. I then used some epoxy to fill the holes, sanded and painted it with vinyl spray. It isn't perfect, but definitely good enough. I installed a replacement passenger airbag in the dash before reassembly. The airbag connector was melted here too, so I did the same trick.
- I used Leafspy to clear all the DTCs. What remained was the following. I expected the seat belt pre-tensioner as I haven't replaced that yet, but B1209 needed to be cleared.
- B1209 0009 AIR BAG Frontal Collision Detection SRC-156
- B1086 0009 AIR BAG Pre-Ten Front LH (Open) SRC-87
- I removed the SRS Diagnostic Unit 98820 3NC1A and de-soldered the EEPROM from it. I used a TL866II programmer to read the contents of the EEPROM and then used the website https://www.carprogonline.com/airbag/Nissan/Leaf/988203NA1A/ to modify the file before re-programming, re-soldering, and re-assembly. I used Leafspy to clear all the DTCs again and the only one left was B1806
- I used body panels off my parts car to fix the frontal collision and re-painted them to match the colour of the car.

Back