HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scouring parts catalogs I found the VSP OFF switch for 2013-2017 LEAFs; figured I would post the part numbers to help others...

There are two matching ones that work (I tried both).

25172-3NF0A can be found at some US dealers, I think it's used in Mexican market cars. I bought mine here for $22 shipped

There's another part number that can be found from Japan for about $45, 25172-4NC0A. Not sure why it has a different part number... it looks the same and is compatible.

So nice to replace my crappy universal toggle switch with an OEM lighted button!

I just purchased a 2018 Leaf and went looking for how to do this. It wasn't clear at all if this thread pertained to the 2018 version. Could the OP please amend the initial post to clearly state whether or not the discussion here relates to the 2018 Leaf. Ideally, if there is another thread specifically for doing this on the 2018 model then a provided link would also be appreciated. Thanks.

MickM said:
I just purchased a 2018 Leaf and went looking for how to do this. It wasn't clear at all if this thread pertained to the 2018 version. Could the OP please amend the initial post to clearly state whether or not the discussion here relates to the 2018 Leaf. Ideally, if there is another thread specifically for doing this on the 2018 model then a provided link would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe someone with an ‘18 can confirm whether turning off VSP via Leaf Spy Pro still works.

It’s in the service menu of the pro version only.

Yes - I can also confirm Leafspy turns it off on the 2018. It's kind of flakey (it took about 10 times before the change actually stuck) but it did work.

I turned off VSP (and the backup Beeper) on my 2016SV . Now I turned both back on, for pedestrian safety. I know some pedestrian ignore the sound. It's their choice. I personally feel more safe when cars not sneaking up behind me quietly. :lol:

First post.

Been following this forum since June, picked up my 2018 SV Leaf in mid-August.

The first time I backed up with my Leaf and heard that "VSP noise" I went WTF was that?

I get it for big trucks that can't see behind them, but this is a small car, and I see fine through the back window, the mirrors and the backup camera helps too. Add in the motion detection sensors and you'd have to want to hit something on purpose behind you. If you're backing up, and someone is standing behind the car and not moving, honk the (high quality sounding) horn.

Other PHEV cars (like the Prius) do not have this beeper, why should this car?

So I installed the Leaf Spy Pro app on my mobile, and picked up a ELM327 OBDII BT adapter on Amazon.ca. Total expense was $35.81, or about half of a dinner out. Best money I ever spent.

I also "fixed" my door locks to engage when I get out of Park, and disengage when I go back into Park. My old 2013 Rav4 was able to configure the locks, why can't Nissan allow the same thing?

As previously mentioned in this forum, it did take a few attempts to make the changes, but it did work eventually. Can the UI be improved? Possibly, but for a techie like me, I was able to navigate the app to get what I needed. Even If the app and OBDII adapter is never used again, it was still money well spent. My $0.02 (CND)

CanuckEVDriver said:
...Other PHEV cars (like the Prius) do not have this beeper, why should this car?...

...Can the UI be improved? Possibly, but for a techie like me, I was able to navigate the app to get what I needed...

I believe the prius actually does have a backup beep but it's easily disabled.

Well...the UI for LSP has come a long way and the service screen is really just that - intended to be used to do those config changes that are done few and far between. LSP will continue to evolve and improve as it's done over the years and as more feature requests have critical mass.

Welcome to LEAF ownership!

CanuckEVDriver said:
Other PHEV cars (like the Prius) do not have this beeper, why should this car?

Because the danger of "silent cars" was one of the arguments of the Anti-EV crowd, and also a concern of organizations for the blind. Avoiding this type of issue was considered important for what was aiming to be the first mainstream EV since the 1910's.

Back