Everything you might want to know about the '18 LEAF engineering

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
kmartyn said:
Just got a new 2018 SV in Canada. The dealer tells me, they no longer us 3G or any cellular data. Instead they use satellite radio data to save costs and data charges. Can anybody else confirm this? It might explain the slow performance of the app.

Canada could be different but they are using 4G here

Does that mean your Nissan Leaf has a SIM card?

[bI don't think that Nissan could just put a cooling plate on the bottom of the existing batteries. Some batteries are stacked on top of each other and wouldn't be touching the cooling plate. A different battery layout may be needed for proper battery temp maintance. This Nissan wasn't ready to do that. They pumped out more of the basicly the same type of battery layout and made a business desision to take a chance. [/b]

Marty said:
[bI don't think that Nissan could just put a cooling plate on the bottom of the existing batteries. Some batteries are stacked on top of each other and wouldn't be touching the cooling plate. A different battery layout may be needed for proper battery temp maintance. This Nissan wasn't ready to do that. They pumped out more of the basicly the same type of battery layout and made a business desision to take a chance. [/b]

Do you have a drawing showing double stacked modules? When did this start?

I didn't want to start a whole topic on this. Under accessories Nissan lists 'Nissan WiFi and Apps' for $450. Is this a WiFi hotspot option? Hopefully you don't have to get this to have full remote access to the car, right...?

kmartyn said:
Just got a new 2018 SV in Canada. The dealer tells me, they no longer us 3G or any cellular data. Instead they use satellite radio data to save costs and data charges. Can anybody else confirm this? It might explain the slow performance of the app.

Yes, SirusXM is not the data provider for US and Canada

Does the Gen 2 Leaf have a way to actively cool the batteries? I think I read a common complaint about the Gen 1 Leaf was that there was no cooling. I was perusing the owner's manual for my 2019 Leaf and read something that made me think that the Gen 2 had a way to actively cool the batteries. I would post the section from the manual but I can't find it now. :(

HRTKD said:
Does the Gen 2 Leaf have a way to actively cool the batteries? I think I read a common complaint about the Gen 1 Leaf was that there was no cooling. I was perusing the owner's manual for my 2019 Leaf and read something that made me think that the Gen 2 had a way to actively cool the batteries. I would post the section from the manual but I can't find it now. :(

No active cooling (aka TMS).

You can activity cool the battery with the optional, sold separately air conditioned garage.

Oilpan4 said:
You can activity cool the battery with the optional, sold separately air conditioned garage.

I'll stick with driving in the dark and parking in the parking garage. It does stay cooler in the garage. My commute prior to charging is only about 20 miles. I rarely hit the speed limiter. :)

LeftieBiker said:
I have that optional cooled garage and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Yep. changing ambient temps hardly qualifies as active cooling. You will get a little benefit but it will be small.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I have that optional cooled garage and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Yep. changing ambient temps hardly qualifies as active cooling. You will get a little benefit but it will be small.

With my minimal driving it actually did make a difference to pack temp: no 8 bar temps at all during heat waves, and I'm not even sure it ever saw 7 bars. The benefit would indeed be less for someone for someone doing a lot of driving in the heat.

Back