2018 Leaf buy or lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a 2018 SV with tech pkg and weather pkg this afternoon. The lease offer was not good compared to purchasing if you have enough federal tax liability to take advantage of the $7500 credit.

Negotiated about a $5000 discount AND I get the $7500 tax credit.

The lease deal only reduced price by about $2400 and required an aqusision fee, end of lease disposition fee and since I will pay off the loan then no interest or money factor to be concerned with.

This works for me because I have the cash and don’t need to be concerned about how much a month.

Plus I get a Leaf with about twice the usable range compared to my 15 SL.

My other option was to purchase a Tesla 3 since my 2 year wait since I put a deposit in came up last week. Tesla only offers the $48000 version at this time with no discounts.

I went through the same thought pattern and ended up buying. Lease numbers are pretty bad here. SV with all toys I wanted is around 17k to lease, or 23k to buy. My commute is 30 miles a day, so even a degraded 150 mile battery should do fine. We are in upstate NY so hopefully the two weeks of summer we get will not have that much effect on battery life. I may miss out on shiny new toys, but they all seem to be a few years away anyways, and the base Model3 will have at best 1/2 of tax credit and definitely not 0% financing.

The lease options here in Texas are horrid. They were going with a 33% residual, and some of the dealerships stopped giving the $7500 rebate for the tax credit. Monthly lease rates are over $500 and sometime $600 depending on the dealership. I had to go to a dealership 30 miles away when there are 5 different ones within 10 miles. They were still offering the $7500 rebate on leases, but the residual was too low.

We are in upstate NY so hopefully the two weeks of summer we get will not have that much effect on battery life.

Would that be Saranac Lake? Ticonderoga? Between late June and early August, we had 44 days in a row of 80F temps in the Capital District, as recorded at Albany. That wasn't just a record - it almost doubled the old record of 27 days. This Summer is HOT overall, and it isn't that aberrant these days: in 2013, right when I leased my first Leaf, we had 11+ days of 90F+ temps. If I had kept my 2018 Leaf outdoors during this Summer's heat waves, it would have baked like a cake. I've lost almost 3% SOH since April, with the car mainly sitting in an air-conditioned garage.

Back