I Want my (fast) DC!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is right about the caltrans proposal below:

About half of the DC sites are along fairly remote roads, effectively infilling existing or expected DC infrastructure, justifying direct governmental action, IMO.

What is wrong?

Almost everything else...

Incredibly expensive installations of single DC-chargers, often at poor sites w/o desirable amenities, "no user cost"... and already many years too late.

...In accordance with the Governor 's 2016 ZEV Action Plan, the 2017-18 State Budget, and
Senate Bill 1, the Department has identified 10 projects that will enable the Department to
upgrade Department-owned, publicly accessible facilities with Electric vehicle (EV)
infrastructure. These projects will upgrade 37 existing facilities, including 29 Safety Roadside
Rest Areas, four Maintenance stations, two District offices and one Park and Ride lot.
Improvements will upgrade electrical systems, construct charging station pads, purchase and
install EV chargers, complete environmental analysis, provide traffic control, complete
earthwork and trenching, provide asphalt and concrete work, ensure accessibility under the
Americans with Disabilities Act, and install signage and charging station striping. The project
locations are on priority highway corridors consistent with California Energy Commission
guidance, such as Interstates 5, 15 and 80, State Route 99, and U.S. Highways 101 and 395...

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/transprog/ctcliaison/2017/1217/superbook/49_4.20_Combined4Linking.pdf

edatoakrun said:
What is right about the caltrans proposal below:

About half of the DC sites are along fairly remote roads, effectively infilling existing or expected DC infrastructure, justifying direct governmental action, IMO.

What is wrong?

Almost everything else...

Incredibly expensive installations of single DC-chargers, often at poor sites w/o desirable amenities, "no user cost"... and already many years too late. <snip>
Did you contact them and mention this?

Great headline, more-of-the-usual BS in the details.

California To Spend $768M On Electric Vehicle Infrastructure

(AP) — California utilities will invest nearly $768 million to expand a network of charging stations and build other infrastructure for electric vehicles as the state moves toward a goal of 5 million zero-emission cars on the roads by 2030.

The California Public Utilities Commission voted 5-0 Thursday to pay for programs statewide over the next five years...

Pacific Gas & Electric will build 230 direct current fast-charging stations, for a total of nearly $22.5 million...
http://www.capradio.org/articles/2018/05/31/california-to-spend-768m-on-electric-vehicle-infrastructure/

But as reported only that $22.5 million, less than 3% of the total expenditure, will be used for the highest priority investment to actually convince CA residents to buy BEVs...public DC infrastructure.

Back