2018 Leaf buy or lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I posted all of that in the appropriate thread. 'New Order Details' I think. The tax credit skim isn't regional, though: Nissan's website shows it. You leased an S, IIRC, so you got the credit.

Well thanks to a math error on Nissan's part, I got the credit plus $1775 and that all happened before the negotiation started! :lol:

LeftieBiker said:
I posted all of that in the appropriate thread. 'New Order Details' I think. The tax credit skim isn't regional, though: Nissan's website shows it. You leased an S, IIRC, so you got the credit.

When I leased mine, all trims were getting the full credit. I checked the Nissan site and it plainly states that the $7500 fed credit still applies. Interesting that this may not actually apply at the dealership.

So they stopped passing the Federal tax credit on just long enough to screw me??? How delightful. I also didn't get my "prize," even though Nissan just sent me an email reminding me to pick it up within 5 days - at another dealership.

EDIT: Are you sure that you aren't looking at the details for purchasing an SL, as opposed to leasing one? They can't pocket the credit if you buy one. I'm a bit too tired to wade through that site again. Would anyone like to help me out and check Dave's conclusion?

LeftieBiker said:
So they stopped passing the Federal tax credit on just long enough to screw me??? How delightful. I also didn't get my "prize," even though Nissan just sent me an email reminding me to pick it up within 5 days - at another dealership.

Well now that you mention it, I have not received mine either.... They say allow 4-6 weeks for delivery and it took forever for me to get past the registration screens because I did not take the car I signed up for. Circumstances pretty much forced me to take the first one available that had QC

Lease Offer
$355 Per Month Lease

For 36 Months
Nissan LEAF

SL
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $3,979 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,624 consumer down payment, $355 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $2,725 manufacturer's rebate applied to $355/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2018 LEAF SL Lease model 17218 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $37,085 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $29,416 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $12,780 At lease end, purchase for $16,688, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 05/31/2018.

I see no sign of the $7500 tax credit here.

LeftieBiker said:
Lease Offer
$355 Per Month Lease

For 36 Months
Nissan LEAF

SL
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $3,979 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,624 consumer down payment, $355 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $2,725 manufacturer's rebate applied to $355/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2018 LEAF SL Lease model 17218 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $37,085 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $29,416 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $12,780 At lease end, purchase for $16,688, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 05/31/2018.

I see no sign of the $7500 tax credit here.

Neither do I. There seems to be a small discrepancy but without knowing other figures like taxes, title fees, etc. hard to say but it nowhere near the remaining $7500 balance minus the $2725 incentive.

I have to say Nissan has just removed one of their greatest advantages.

LeftieBiker said:
So you were mistaken when you said the credit was back on the site? I don't want to waste time there if it isn't necessary.

Nope, its there. I would post pix but I am no longer allowed. As far as credit, you got the standard deal. For May its $5575 for S, $3175 for SV and $2775 for SL and that is straight from the dealer's mouth. (a VERY trusted one)

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
So you were mistaken when you said the credit was back on the site? I don't want to waste time there if it isn't necessary.

Nope, its there. I would post pix but I am no longer allowed. As far as credit, you got the standard deal. For May its $5575 for S, $3175 for SV and $2775 for SL and that is straight from the dealer's mouth. (a VERY trusted one)

Dave, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Anyone BUYING a Leaf can get the credit if they qualify, and anyone leasing a Leaf S can get the credit for the lease, but there is no more tax credit passed on for those leasing an SV or SL. Instead you get much less in CCR from Nissan. If you think otherwise, please post a link or screenshot to prove it.

A little of topic, but why would anyone buy or lease a 2018 LEAF right now (other than potentially missing out on the fed tax rebate, of course)? Why not wait until early 2019, after the 2019 MY has been out for a bit, to see what sort of fire sales Nissan dealerships have on 2018 inventory.

If I were contemplating a new LEAF (I'm not) and my current lease was terminating now and I needed an EV, I would take-over someone else's lease - one that has less than a year of payments remaining. Just one example (WA LEAF):

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2017-Nissan-LEAF.aspx?salid=1248086

That way, you could either pickup a cheap(ish) 2018 in Q1/Q2 2019, or just get the 2019 MY instead.

alozzy said:
A little of topic, but why would anyone buy or lease a 2018 LEAF right now (other than potentially missing out on the fed tax rebate, of course)? Why not wait until early 2019, after the 2019 MY has been out for a bit, to see what sort of fire sales Nissan dealerships have on 2018 inventory.

If I were contemplating a new LEAF (I'm not) and my current lease was terminating now and I needed an EV, I would take-over someone else's lease - one that has less than a year of payments remaining. Just one example (WA LEAF):

That way, you could either pickup a cheap(ish) 2018 in Q1/Q2 2019, or just get the 2019 MY instead.

+1

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

Dave, I don't think you know what you're talking about. Anyone BUYING a Leaf can get the credit if they qualify, and anyone leasing a Leaf S can get the credit for the lease, but there is no more tax credit passed on for those leasing an SV or SL. Instead you get much less in CCR from Nissan. If you think otherwise, please post a link or screenshot to prove it.

I can't believe you would spend this much energy calling me out when it would take you 2 mins to verify this on your own

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fFCHfS0UDIDwTbmNaY71IrzsZ-1JwaBg/view?usp=sharing

alozzy said:

Yes, brilliant idea. Except that there are no leases with one year left around here, and I needed a car this Spring, not next Winter.

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

I can't believe you would spend this much energy calling me out when it would take you 2 mins to verify this on your own

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fFCHfS0UDIDwTbmNaY71IrzsZ-1JwaBg/view?usp=sharing

And yet you can't seem to post a link to Nissan's site, just what appears to be a cached image from Google. I posted the actual terms for an SL, from the actual Nissan site, taken this week. I'll do it again:

Lease Offer
$355 Per Month Lease

For 36 Months

Nissan LEAF SL

No Federal tax credit applied. Since you are the one who claims that the credit is still being passed on with all models, you are the one who should document that. I did look, and see no such thing.

@LeftieBiker No need to be snarky...

Perhaps you're unwilling to go in on a short-term ICE lease takeover, in which case finding a short-term EV lease takeover is harder but not impossible. Otherwise, here's a good example of an ICE takeover option in your area: http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2018-Honda-Fit.aspx?salid=1241462

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

It's hard not to be "snarky" when you don't seem to have noticed that I've been posting about my 2018 SL for over about two weeks, all over the site. I've decided. I could actually have driven my housemate's 2013 Prius PHEV when needed, but I dislike that car and since I don't know that I'll even be alive and able to drive next year, it would have been foolish to not get another EV now. Tempus fugit.

My mood isn't helped by the fact that the latest windows "update" corrupted my Windows startup files, and I'm running in Safe Mode, with barely readable text, while I try to figure out how to fix the damage that this unrequested "update" has done to my system. I'm a little too busy to go and do Dave's research for him.

LeftieBiker said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

And yet you can't seem to post a link to Nissan's site, just what appears to be a cached image from Google. I posted the actual terms for an SL, from the actual Nissan site, taken this week. I'll do it again:

Lease Offer
$355 Per Month Lease

For 36 Months

Nissan LEAF SL

No Federal tax credit applied. Since you are the one who claims that the credit is still being passed on with all models, you are the one who should document that. I did look, and see no such thing.

WTF are you talking about? We already established what each trim is getting, remember?

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=527266#p527266

The screenshot I posted was taken from Nissan website THIS morning. If you want a link, fine

https://www.nissanusa.com/pe-nissan/lease-finance-payment-calculator/LEF/XGC80NIC161B0?totalPrice=36220&vendor=helios&referrerURL=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.nissanusa.com%252Fvehicles%252Felectric-cars%252Fleaf%252Fbuild-price.html%2523summary%252FAnLN4Lw&destinationURL=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.nissanusa.com%252Fshopping-tools%252Fsearch-inventory%252Finventory-results.html%2523%252Fsearch%21location%25255B%25255D%253D%25255B47.5513%25252C-122.3741%25255D%2526model.name%25255B%25255D%253DNissan%252520LEAF%2526bodyStyle%25255B%25255D%253DHatchback%2526engine.driveTrain%25255B%25255D%253DFWD%2526fullColour%25255B%25255D%253DTwo-tone%252520Pearl%252520White%25252FSuper%252520Black%252520%25255B%25255B2018_LEAF_408%25255D%25255D%25255B%25255B2018_LEAF_433%25255D%25255D%25255B%25255B2018_LEAF_1230%25255D%25255D%2526grade.name%25255B%25255D%253DSV%2526options.label%25255B%25255D%253DSV%252520Technology%252520Package%2526bodyStyle%25255B%25255D%253DBlack%2526upholstery%25255B%25255D%253DBlack%252520Cloth&vehicleTrimConstructed=false&trimName=

I don't know why I waste my time here, responding to...bloggers. As I have written, including in the topic specifically about this, NMAC no longer passes on the full $7500 tax credit to lessees. Instead, they keep the $7500 and give a much lower CCR. This is exactly what GM does with the Bolt, and both companies seem to be happy with the arrangement, in part because bloggers like you don't seem to even grasp the facts of the situation. I'll post the text of the popup with the details for the Leaf SV lease you linked, but I don't think you will see the problem. You see the deceptive wording on the site about leases including the $7500 credit, and you just swallow it without looking at the actual numbers. Which is odd, because a few posts up you seem to acknowledge its disappearance.

LEASE OFFER
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $3,979 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,670 consumer down payment, $309 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $3,150 manufacturer's rebate applied to $309/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2018 LEAF SV Lease model 17118 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $33,375 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $25,436 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $11,124 At lease end, purchase for $14,351, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 05/31/2018.

CLOSE

Highlight added.

Back