Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:02 pm

calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.
An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 pm

The current test version with the SOH conversion change is going to be replaced with a new test version that goes back to the original SOH conversion factor.

calverajarda
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am
Delivery Date: 27 Jan 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:12 am

Turbo3 wrote:
calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.
An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.
Ok, thanks for answer.
Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?

User avatar
lpickup
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:14 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 16138
Location: Raleigh, NC
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 am

calverajarda wrote: Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?
How granular do you want the data? Do you need a separate readout for each trip/day, or is a month long summary (possibly without many digits of precision) acceptable?

I think in general LeafSpy will give you more accurate (and precise) readings, especially if you are trying to track at the trip or daily level. But you would need to remember to run it each and every time if you are looking to gather data on a larger scale (like a month). For that, I think relying on the car's display is probably adequate. My routine is as follows:

On the first day of the month I note the various parameters in the driver's display (averge mi/kWh, distance, average mph, driving time) and reset all those. Taken across a whole year you can see variations due to seasons, and even the effect of battery degradation and things like different tires, etc.

Each time I charge the car I reset the center console meter. This was actually more useful in my old 2012 LEAF in that it was basically a daily activity, and the center console displayed the daily efficiency as a number--in my 2016 it only shows as a bar graph, plus I don't need to charge my 2016 daily, so the information it conveys is not as useful anyway. The idea behind this is that I could check daily efficiency and compare to the monthly running total and surrounding days, correlating with weather conditions and driving patterns (highway vs. surface streets).

The resultant data is not precise. You only get down to the 0.1 mi/kWh level, but big picture wise, this is probably sufficient accuracy for what I was using the data for.

If for some reason I needed highly accurate data for a particular trip, I would have no qualms using LeafSpy for that.

If you need highly accurate data for some other reason (you are trying to calculate exact costs of electricity), then you probably want to take a different approach altogether and put a meter on your EVSE so you can take into account charger losses as well.
...Lance

Deep Blue Metallic 2018 Tesla Model 3 (31849) (delivered: 7/13/18)
Coulis Red 2016 SV (312310) (bought: 12/23/16 sold: 7/5/18)
Glacier Pearl 2012 SL (016138) (delivered: 12/9/11; traded in 12/23/16)
NOGA$4ME Blog

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14456
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm

calverajarda wrote:
Turbo3 wrote:
calverajarda wrote:Hi,
i have problem about consumption. I dont know what is right.
Yesterday driven 26km - car shows 12,4kwh/100km its 3224Wh
With leaf spy at start capacity 16,1kwh, at end 12,2kwh its 3900Wh
Consumption wit Leaf Spy135,1Wh/km - its 3512Wh
Whats right?
I searching true conusmtipon kwh/100km with clima, heating etc.
Thanks.
An exact Wh is not going to be possible. They are all estimates. A battery is not like a gas tank.

LeafSpy uses two different ways to calculate Wh used. One is based on a change in Gids and the other is based on battery energy level changes.

Wh per Gid is not a precise number. The default is 77.5 Wh per Gid but you can change that in Settings/Battery. Also Gids when SOC is high seem to have less energy than Gids when SOC is low. After a full change the first bar goes away pretty quickly compared to later in the drive.

The Battery energy level has <1Wh resolution which looks great but a battery can change its available energy just by having the battery temperature increase or decrease. Battery energy level changes also includes all accessory energy use.

LeafSpy's efficiency number (energy/distance) has the problem of energy listed above plus the fact that the odometer only changes in 1 km steps. It is not something I would have put in but was requested even with the short comings.
Ok, thanks for answer.
Which meter is more accurate for energy/distance? on board meter or LeafSpy kw/km meter? I mean LeafSpy. But both showing consmuption with all accesory, yes?
I think another way to understand the situation;

This is how I know when its time to change the remote access keypad battery for my garage. When the keypad fails and its Winter time ( Have yet to have it fail during Summer and I am an OLLLLD guy!)

I pull the battery out and rub it between my palms for about a minute. This heats up the battery enough to where it is able to power up and initiate the garage door opener. When I get tired of doing this, I change the battery! ;)
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 3500.3 mi, 96.95% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

0x00
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:51 pm

hi,

i am currently extensively testing my new leaf which i received yesterday! i am writing a german blog but here is a short high speed highway video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8RuaKMkmGw

leaf spy pro worked well with my european leaf, it seems it never lost connection with my lelink (v1) dongle but i didnt' evaluate the stored logs yet.

@Turbo3: there seems to be a little bug, the "outside temp" is shown in fahrenheit although i have everything set to Celsius. i am using the latest android beta version.

edit: another question, on the tablet display i saw regen values of more than 50kW but i can't see them in the log files? how is that? it only goes to -20596 as max value?

Turbo3
Gold Member
Posts: 2011
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:34 pm
Delivery Date: 12 May 2011
Leaf Number: 002191
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:13 pm

0x00 wrote:@Turbo3: there seems to be a little bug, the "outside temp" is shown in fahrenheit although i have everything set to Celsius. i am using the latest android beta version.
Go into Settings/Units and select the option to Convert Outside Temperature.

There is no way for LeafSpy to tell the units used as that is not on the CAN bus only the temperature value.

I will need to look into you other question.

0x00
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Turbo3 wrote:
0x00 wrote:@Turbo3: there seems to be a little bug, the "outside temp" is shown in fahrenheit although i have everything set to Celsius. i am using the latest android beta version.
Go into Settings/Units and select the option to Convert Outside Temperature.

There is no way for LeafSpy to tell the units used as that is not on the CAN bus only the temperature value.

I will need to look into you other question.
ah, thank you! i seem to have missed this setting :)


is there a cool way to visualize the CSV files? what do other people usually use or which columns do you use for excel charts? i did some extensive tests and have 2x 2.5MB log files for 2 days and want to visualize my road trip. i am also thinking about a map showing my GPS coordinates with the associated infos but i am unsure how to do that.

0x00
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:23 pm
Delivery Date: 24 Feb 2018

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 am

another question, is it possible to somehow control the PTC heater and disable it via CAN bus (or leaf spy in the future)? in my tests i had no problems reaching 200km (124 miles) on the highway where the outside temperature was above zero. the next day i drove 165km (102 miles) and i barely made it with the 40kwh nissan leaf, the temp was a bit below zero and the heater element often kicked in. i also suspect the PTC heater besides strong wind and other topology.

brycenesbitt
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:48 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Feb 2016

Re: Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:21 am

The android store listing still recommends a different model!
Turbo3 wrote:The LELink is the recommended adapter for both iOS and Android.

Return to “LEAF CANBus”