Tesla Semi Truck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As recently as one year ago I probably considered this possibility to be far in the future, but here it is today: Battery-powered Truck Carries Batteries as Freight:
InsideEVs said:
The Tesla Semi program appears to be in high gear. Today, CEO Elon Musk released a photo (above) on Instagram heralding the rig’s first real task: take a load of freshly produced battery packs from the Gigafactory on the outskirts of Sparks, Nevada, and deliver them to the Tesla Fremont factory (A.K.A. the Mothership) in California.
I think that's pretty impressive!

Daimler, "who invented the internal combustion engine" (in the 19th century, but hey! That still means they are innovators!) has equipped 300,000 commercial trucks with sensors to gather data on traffic and weather. This puts them solidly at the end of the 20th century, in my mind. The 300,000 is impressive, anyway...

RegGuheert said:
As recently as one year ago I probably considered this possibility to be far in the future, but here it is today: Battery-powered Truck Carries Batteries as Freight:
InsideEVs said:
The Tesla Semi program appears to be in high gear. Today, CEO Elon Musk released a photo (above) on Instagram heralding the rig’s first real task: take a load of freshly produced battery packs from the Gigafactory on the outskirts of Sparks, Nevada, and deliver them to the Tesla Fremont factory (A.K.A. the Mothership) in California.
The question is, how much do those battery packs weigh, i.e. what's the payload, and is this the 300 or 500 mile pack in the tractor? Coming downhill from the Gigafactory the range was not going to be the problem, except possibly for the 300 mile tractor in snow with delays; it's the loaded uphill run (I'm assuming they won't deadhead uphill, as that would be idiotic when the Gigafactory will need supplies from the Bay Area).

So, a useful start and will allow them to gather some performance data that can be fed back into the design, but unless they start doing this routinely, it's merely a test.

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
InsideEVs said:
The question is, how much do those battery packs weigh, i.e. what's the payload, and is this the 300 or 500 mile pack in the tractor? Coming downhill from the Gigafactory the range was not going to be the problem, except possibly for the 300 mile tractor in snow with delays; it's the loaded uphill run (I'm assuming they won't deadhead uphill, as that would be idiotic when the Gigafactory will need supplies from the Bay Area).

So, a useful start and will allow them to gather some performance data that can be fed back into the design, but unless they start doing this routinely, it's merely a test.

Thanks. You brought the thread back to reality!

GRA said:
The question is, how much do those battery packs weigh, i.e. what's the payload, and is this the 300 or 500 mile pack in the tractor?
That's a good question, but even fully unloaded, this trip likely required the consumption of at least 300 kWh and traveled over 250 miles. As such, this is an important demonstration of the truck's capabilities. This route also demonstrates operation capabilities such as the operation of Megachargers at both ends of a route.
GRA said:
Coming downhill from the Gigafactory the range was not going to be the problem, except possibly for the 300 mile tractor in snow with delays;...
"Coming downhill" makes it sound like these trucks just coasted 258 miles from the Gigafactory down to the main factory. In fact, while there was a NET elevation change of about -4500 feet from about 4500 feet down to about 50 feet, the trucks have to CLIMB about 2700 feet as they leave the Gigafactory to about 7200 feet in order to cross the Rocky Mountains at Donner Pass.
GRA said:
...it's the loaded uphill run (I'm assuming they won't deadhead uphill, as that would be idiotic when the Gigafactory will need supplies from the Bay Area).
That's true only as long as the trailers used for the batteries are compatible with the other loads. It is my understanding that many of the raw materials headed for the Gigafactory are containerized when they arrive in the Port of Oakland. Tesla may find that they need to load their batteries into containers in order to keep all of those containers from stacking up in Nevada. Since a fully-loaded Tesla Semi is simulated to consume about 630 kWh when traveling from the main factory up to the Gigafactory, the aero impact of a container trailer should not greatly impact the ability to accomplish this mission.

Fortunately the Tesla Semis will be soaking in a warmer climate prior to the more difficult climb.
GRA said:
In typical GRA fashion, you try to minimize accomplishments achieved by BEVs. In this case, you are doing it by completely ignoring the stated goal of Tesla to transport their batteries from the Gigafactory to Fremont using the Tesla Semis:
Jerome Guillen said:
We will use our own truck to carry cargo in the US between our different facilities. We have an assembly facility in California, the Gigafactory in Nevada, so we will use our trucks to carry things in-between.
I have long been a big proponent of companies consuming their own products when possible. There are many benefits which result from companies doing this. In the case of Tesla using the Semis to support their manufacturing efforts, this is an excellent way for them to live in their customers' shoes and share their experiences with the product. This approach ensures that the proper focus stays on the issues which exist in the Tesla Semi and encourages constant product improvement. They should also save money by doing this, assuming rail transport is not cheaper.

Self-consumption of products also allows a company to provide experiential data to their customers in order for them to better evaluate how the product might meet their needs.

The reality we are seeing with this demonstration is that battery-electric trucks can and will start carrying a significant amount of freight all around the world in the near future. Everything is now in place for this market to start to take off. There are significant applications for the two versions of the truck which are proposed. As time goes on, the capabilities of these trucks will grow into further applications.

RegGuheert said:
"Coming downhill" makes it sound like these trucks just coasted 258 miles from the Gigafactory down to the main factory. In fact, while there was a NET elevation change of about -4500 feet from about 4500 feet down to about 50 feet, the trucks have to CLIMB about 2700 feet as they leave the Gigafactory to about 7200 feet in order to cross the Rocky Mountains at Donner Pass.
Should read "Sierra Nevada" (no Rocky Mountains in California).

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
The question is, how much do those battery packs weigh, i.e. what's the payload, and is this the 300 or 500 mile pack in the tractor?
That's a good question, but even fully unloaded, this trip likely required the consumption of at least 300 kWh and traveled over 250 miles.

Where are the data to conclude this, i.e. an energy consumption of at least 300 kWh (over 250 miles) - less than a mile/kWh?
But given the way it was stated, though, it wasn't that profound.

RegGuheert said:
The reality we are seeing with this demonstration is that battery-electric trucks can and will start carrying a significant amount of freight all around the world in the near future. Everything is now in place for this market to start to take off. There are significant applications for the two versions of the truck which are proposed. As time goes on, the capabilities of these trucks will grow into further applications.

"Near future"? Can you be more explicit?

lorenfb said:
Where are the data to conclude this, i.e. an energy consumption of at least 300 kWh (over 250 miles) - less than a mile/kWh?
It's from the link to the article which is same link that I provided for the estimate of 630 kWh the other way fully loaded. I should have linked it in that comment, as well. In a comment by "georgeS" we find:
georgeS at InsideEVs said:
Keith and I modeled this route for our article:
https://insideevs.com/tesla-semi-custom-trailer-regeneration-full-aero-treatment/

If you run loaded up to gf from fremont the kwh burn is 629 kwh so should be a piece of cake.

Loaded back burns 378 kwh.

So they will want to pick up some charge @ GF. I bet they have Mega chargers set up at both fremont and GF.
I couldn't find an unloaded number, so I guesstimated from the loaded one, figuring that wind resistance should be dominant given the net elevation change.
lorenfb said:
"Near future"? Can you be more explicit?
I believe the economics say that these will be put on the road as fast as they can be made by Tesla and others. I think the other manufactures will lag for a while as Tesla ramps up production. They aren't likely to do a lot until Tesla starts eating their lunch.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
That's a good question, but even fully unloaded, this trip likely required the consumption of at least 300 kWh and traveled over 250 miles. As such, this is an important demonstration of the truck's capabilities. This route also demonstrates operation capabilities such as the operation of Megachargers at both ends of a route.
I didn't see any mention of Megachargers in the article, but I just skimmed it. Was that mentioned?

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Coming downhill from the Gigafactory the range was not going to be the problem, except possibly for the 300 mile tractor in snow with delays;...
Reg, like most northern CA skiers I've made the drive (both ways) many times, so I'm well aware of the elevation changes. Coming from the Gigafactory through Reno, and then winding through Truckee Canyon and often all the way up to Donner, the speeds are often restricted. More importantly, if a 300 mile tractor leaves the GF fully charged, the 60 miles/+2,800 ft. to Donner Summit opens up room for regen, which will be gained at a very high rate (this stretch westbound is where the truck runaway ramps are located) until you get down to just past Penryn:

Plug this into a gpsvisualizer profile: https://goo.gl/maps/AYFaLVqU5az

Once in the Sacramento metro area the freeways back up unless it's well outside of commute hours, and along I-80 the Sac. Metro area merges directly into the Bay Area where you turn south along I-880, where the same applies. The option is to go south on I-5 and then west on I-205/580/680 to Fremont, but that way you have to go through the built-up area around Stockton and then hit traffic from the east side of Altamont Pass westwards (again barring night/early morning trips). They'll need to make numerous runs at a variety of times on both routes for test purposes.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
...it's the loaded uphill run (I'm assuming they won't deadhead uphill, as that would be idiotic when the Gigafactory will need supplies from the Bay Area).
That's true only as long as the trailers used for the batteries are compatible with the other loads. It is my understanding that many of the raw materials headed for the Gigafactory are containerized when they arrive in the Port of Oakland. Tesla may find that they need to load their batteries into containers in order to keep all of those containers from stacking up in Nevada. Since a fully-loaded Tesla Semi is simulated to consume about 630 kWh when traveling from the main factory up to the Gigafactory, the aero impact of a container trailer should not greatly impact the ability to accomplish this mission.

Fortunately the Tesla Semis will be soaking in a warmer climate prior to the more difficult climb.
The packs should fit in a container no problem (internal width about 7'8" IIRR, although whether or not the packs can be loaded lengthwise side-by-side may be a problem), the issue will be do they have to transport special racks up the hill to stack them, if so do they fold, and what do the racks weigh? I've used (non-folding) racks similar to the one on the right end of the upper gallery row here: https://tier-rack.com/application/shipping-racks.html (the picture just left of that shows the same rack folded), but there's no way they could handle the weight of a battery pack, even if putting that much weight that high up were acceptable. A battery pack could use a much lower, stronger rack. As battery packs are dense commodities maybe stacking won't be required, and using regular dunnage (plywood, foam, pallets, inflatable bags) and shipping them in a single layer will be okay.

The other option, and one that may make sense is to haul the containers to the Livermore warehouse or else a trans-shipment warehouse at the Port (in my Teamster casual days I sometimes worked at one), and consolidate 40' container loads into 48' or 53' trailers before hauling them up the hill. It will probably depend on whether or not trailers fully loaded with packs are weight critical and can't be fully loaded in any case.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
In typical GRA fashion, you try to minimize accomplishments achieved by BEVs. In this case, you are doing it by completely ignoring the stated goal of Tesla to transport their batteries from the Gigafactory to Fremont using the Tesla Semis:
Jerome Guillen said:
We will use our own truck to carry cargo in the US between our different facilities. We have an assembly facility in California, the Gigafactory in Nevada, so we will use our trucks to carry things in-between.
I have long been a big proponent of companies consuming their own products when possible. There are many benefits which result from companies doing this. In the case of Tesla using the Semis to support their manufacturing efforts, this is an excellent way for them to live in their customers' shoes and share their experiences with the product. This approach ensures that the proper focus stays on the issues which exist in the Tesla Semi and encourages constant product improvement. They should also save money by doing this, assuming rail transport is not cheaper.

Self-consumption of products also allows a company to provide experiential data to their customers in order for them to better evaluate how the product might meet their needs.

Reg, I'm not ignoring that they plan to do this, I've said upthread several times that this is an excellent use for these tractors, and a good way to demonstrate the product. But a single run in good conditions is a long way from a fully operational vehicle. If they'd made the run last week, when it was snowing heavily and blowing hard along I-80 in the Sierra they would have gotten some data in worst case cold conditions, but given how new the tractors are and the inevitable problems that will arise even in good conditions, that wouldn't have been wise for a first run.

It's a pity they weren't able to do this kind of baseline run earlier so that they could get a bad winter weather test in, because there's a good chance that they'll now have to wait until next winter for similar conditions. This year is already looking like we're heading into another drought:
Even after storm, California’s Sierra snowpack at 37 percent of average
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Even-after-storm-California-officials-find-12729418.php The likelihood of major winter storms (which have been notably absent this year) this late in the season is increasingly unlikely.

At least they will have plentiful opportunities to test the tractor in hot conditions this summer, so that can give them lots of info on heating of components on the climb(and regen heating onthe descent) and show where improvements are needed. BTW, the photos here show two different roof airdams, which appear to be used on regular and high-cube trailers: https://insideevs.com/new-tesla-semi-images-connected-to-trailer-surface/ Notice the Hyundai logo on one of them.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
It's from the link to the article which is same link that I provided for the estimate of 630 kWh the other way fully loaded. I should have linked it in that comment, as well.

Thanks for the info and link.

Since you have most likely gathered the data relating to an economic analysis of operating costs for an EV semi versus a diesel ICE semi,
exclusive of factors such as maintenance, insurance, energy costs (electricity vs diesel fuel), etc., here are a few questions:

1. What is the generally accepted typical energy usage per mile (miles/gal) for a diesel rig (tractor & typical fully loaded trailer)
traveling at 60mph on a level highway?
2. What is the assumed miles per kWh for the semi in #1, given these components;
a. Rolling Resistance Losses - RR = k * V
b. Drag Losses - DL = k * V^3
c. Energy Conversion Efficiency of the diesel ICE, - assumed to be a little better than a gasoline ICEV (@ about 60%), assume 75% for diesel?
3. What is the assumed miles per kWh for an EV semi assuming RR & DL are the same for a diesel ICE semi traveling under the same
conditions and assuming about +95% energy conversion efficiency for the EV semi?

A simple solution to #3;
1. Assume 38 kWh per gallon of diesel fuel.
2. Assume RR + DL = energy output of diesel = .75 of diesel fuel energy input
3. Then miles/kWh for the EV semi = miles/gal (diesel mileage) X (EV conversion efficiency) / (kWh/gal X diesel conversion efficiency),
or simply MPG (#1) X .95 / (38 X .75)
4. Assuming a diesel ICE under conditions of #1 with an MPG = 5 miles/gal (bad assumption?) then;
EV semi miles/kWh = .167 miles/kWh
5. If one assumes that the diesel is only 50% efficient versus 75%, then the EV semi miles/kWh becomes .5 miles/kWh

Your range number from the quotation is 250/300 or .833 miles/kWh for an unloaded tractor & trailer not necessarily on level
terrain and not necessarily at 60 mph. So what data have you found that realistically compares the two vehicles based on
just efficiencies, exclusive of the key factors; the energy cost differential, maintenance, etc.? I may have missed a post of yours,
so what calculation data, e.g. present cost per kWh for a EV semi, have you been assuming in this thread?

Notes:
1. Diesel fuel is presently at about $4/gal which amounts to about $.10 / kWh.
2. Unknown weight delta between power train of diesel semi (ICE, gearbox & diff) versus EV semi (battery for same range &
motor/motors/controllers).
3. Potential loss of cargo capacity delta, i.e. EV battery size delta over ICE power-train.
4. Charging infrastructure and delivery costs per trip.

lorenfb said:
Diesel trucks achieve a Carnot efficiency of 75%? Hardly.

I have already calculated the relative per-mile costs for fuel for the Tesla Semi when compared to a standard diesel truck, with references:
RegGuheert said:
The DOE requires new trucks to achieve at least 7.2 MPG on level ground while some companies have demonstrated economy as high as 9.9 MPG with a 65,000-lb. load. If we go with the 7.2 MPG number and put diesel fuel at $3.00/gallon, we get a per-mile fuel cost of about $0.42/mile. Tesla has promised truck fuel for $0.07/kWh and efficiency better than 2 kWh/mile. That comes to about $0.12/mile, or a savings of $0.30/mile! (I will note here that Elon Musk said "wholesale price" in his presentation, so I'm not exactly sure what that means.)
SageBrush has an excellent post which includes all Class 8 semi per-mile costs and you can see that the fuel costs match my estimates very closely (image from this reference source):

uc

Even if my estimate for the per-mile fuel cost for the Tesla Semi is low by 100% (which I highly doubt), there are still huge savings for the trucking companies in there. In fact, many trucking companies will be able to further reduce their fuel costs with the Tesla Semi by manufacturing their own fuel on-site using photovoltaics. I expect that as trucking companies begin to electrify their fleets, we will see them investing in photovoltaics to cover their facilities and possibly their parking lots in order to lock in lower fuel costs for the long term.

GRA said:
I didn't see any mention of Megachargers in the article, but I just skimmed it. Was that mentioned?
I surmised that from the fact that they drove the trucks both ways. I had thought that is the only charger available for these trucks. But it seems that at least *some* of the prototypes can be charged using Superchargers, including one of the trucks used in this demonstration:
InsideEVs said:
At least one of the Tesla Semis en route to Fremont stopped at a Supercharger for some extra charge along the way. We now wonder, was its battery depleted?
and
InsideEVs said:
This particular Supercharger is in Rocklin, less than 150 miles from the Gigafactory. One Semi was spotted hooked up to a Supercharger. That image has since vanished from the Internet.
So that raises a whole host of questions:

- Does the black truck contain batteries (and other electronics) from the Model 3 rather than truck batteries? That would explain it having lower range and being able to charge from a Supercharger.
- If the black truck does not contain truck electronics, does the silver truck? I'm guessing that it does.
- Did the Silver truck make the round trip without charging? It's certainly possible, but I think that charging at the Gigafactory is much more likely.
- Why was the black Semi along for this trip if it doesn't have the range? Was it because the silver Semi needed to be in a convoy in order to make the round trip?
- Will production trucks be able to charge from Superchargers? I seriously hope not, since you really don't want cars and trucks stopping at the same refueling stations.
- Will production trucks have the ability to charge from AC? If so, will they only offer three-phase charging, or also single-phase charging?

OTOH, I have to imagine that Tesla is developing their Megachargers in parallel with their trucks and that Fremont already has prototype Megachargers in place. If Tesla doesn't have a Megacharger at the Gigafactory, yet, it certainly will need one soon.
GRA said:
Reg, like most northern CA skiers I've made the drive (both ways) many times, so I'm well aware of the elevation changes.
Yeah, that's why I called you out on characterizing this trip as "downhill".
GRA said:
The packs should fit in a container no problem (internal width about 7'8" IIRR, although whether or not the packs can be loaded lengthwise side-by-side may be a problem), the issue will be do they have to transport special racks up the hill to stack them, if so do they fold, and what do the racks weigh? I've used (non-folding) racks similar to the one on the right end of the upper gallery row here: https://tier-rack.com/application/shipping-racks.html (the picture just left of that shows the same rack folded), but there's no way they could handle the weight of a battery pack, even if putting that much weight that high up were acceptable. A battery pack could use a much lower, stronger rack. As battery packs are dense commodities maybe stacking won't be required, and using regular dunnage (plywood, foam, pallets, inflatable bags) and shipping them in a single layer will be okay.

The other option, and one that may make sense is to haul the containers to the Livermore warehouse or else a trans-shipment warehouse at the Port (in my Teamster casual days I sometimes worked at one), and consolidate 40' container loads into 48' or 53' trailers before hauling them up the hill. It will probably depend on whether or not trailers fully loaded with packs are weight critical and can't be fully loaded in any case.
Thanks, I considered that the batteries will need racking (I'm willing to bet that they do), but I hadn't thought about getting them back up the hill. Perhaps those can be transported back up with many of them in a single load.
GRA said:
It's a pity they weren't able to do this kind of baseline run earlier so that they could get a bad winter weather test in, because there's a good chance that they'll now have to wait until next winter for similar conditions.
You're kidding, right? I think it would be extremely foolish to make early test runs in poor weather for a large number of reasons.

InsideEVs has linked to a video which highlights the noise a Tesla Semi makes when it accelerates:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5E6JOPleuk[/youtube]

That's pretty loud! Methinks they need to work on the gears to make them quieter.

They also have the following video which indicates that even the silver Tesla Semi was charging at that location, so I guess that means that either there is not yet a Megacharger at the Gigafactor or that truck does not have a 500-mile battery or both (or possibly something else).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmLOCUrcW8[/youtube]

It looks like you were right, GRA: It now appears that really was just a PR stunt, not unlike the video of the Model S self-driving in the bay-area a while back.

RegGuheert said:
lorenfb said:
Diesel trucks achieve a Carnot efficiency of 75%? Hardly.

DOE requires new trucks to achieve at least 7.2 MPG on level ground[/url]

So my analysis was close using 5 miles/gal (S/B 7.2) & 50% efficiency (actual 45%):

A simple solution to #3;
1. Assume 38 kWh per gallon of diesel fuel.
3. Then miles/kWh for the EV semi = miles/gal (diesel mileage) X (EV conversion efficiency) / (kWh/gal X diesel conversion efficiency),
or simply MPG (#1) X .95 / (38 X .75)
4. Assuming a diesel ICE under conditions of #1 with an MPG = 5 miles/gal (bad assumption?) then;
EV semi miles/kWh = .167 miles/kWh
5. If one assumes that the diesel is only 50% efficient versus 75%, then the EV semi miles/kWh becomes .5 miles/kWh

Tweaking the numbers (7.2 X .95) / (38 X .45) results in a EV semi having a potential typical range about .4 miles/kWh.

You didn't answer my question:

Your range number from the quotation is 250/300 or .833 miles/kWh for an unloaded tractor & trailer not necessarily on level
terrain and not necessarily at 60 mph. So what data have you found that realistically compares the two vehicles based on
just efficiencies, exclusive of the key factors; the energy cost differential, maintenance, etc.?

So is there an implication, based on your numbers versus mine, that a fully loaded EV semi's range is reduced by 50%?
That's too simplistic. Surely, one of the analyses is inaccurate, right? One always needs an accurate initial base analysis.

lorenfb said:
So is there an implication, based on your numbers versus mine, that a fully loaded EV semi's range is reduced by 50%?
:?: :?: I have no idea where you came up with that idea. I have estimated that an unloaded BEV semi's consumption is reduced from 378 kWh when fully loaded to about 300 kWh when unloaded. That is roughly 80% of the energy consumption needed by the fully-loaded truck.

Edit: range -> consumption

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
That's a good question, but even fully unloaded, this trip likely required the consumption of at least 300 kWh and traveled over 250 miles.

Range = 250 / 300 as you imply? Or did you NOT clearly state what you meant.

Back