Leaf S - replacing the radio?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dlupien said:
Where can I buy the 6v regulator? Any recommendations?

Amazon has a bunch of them. This one seems to be a decent option: https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Waterproof-Efficiency-Converter-Voltage/dp/B017EBZPKC/

Thanks! I have everything coming in on Friday so I can take care of the project this weekend. Wish me luck!

On a side note, how hard do you think it will be to reinstall the stock head unit for resale etc?

dlupien said:
Thanks! I have everything coming in on Friday so I can take care of the project this weekend. Wish me luck!

On a side note, how hard do you think it will be to reinstall the stock head unit for resale etc?

I don't think I would go through the hassle of trying to remove it and use it in another car, unless it was a very expensive unit. I would save the box, manuals, extra parts, and stock unit, to provide to the next owner of the car. The resale value will likely be better with the upgraded unit installed.

I was thinking more along the lines of doing an install on a leased vehicle. Obviously not having the stock radio installed at lease turn in might be an issue, right?

dlupien said:
I was thinking more along the lines of doing an install on a leased vehicle. Obviously not having the stock radio installed at lease turn in might be an issue, right?

It could be an issue, but it depends on the dealer it is returned to, especially if the installed unit is better than the stock unit. Technically, lease improvements become the property of the vehicle owner, and you have to get their permission to remove them. It depends on the lease agreement, and the state it is written in. You might even be required to get permission before doing the install. Personally, I would not do an upgrade on a leased vehicle, unless I planned to purchase it at the end of the lease. Just my opinion, but If the vehicle, as equipped when leased, is not satisfactory for the term of the lease, then the wrong vehicle was leased.

dlupien said:
Any update on the Sony install aarond12? I am actually looking to install that exact same unit into my leaf using the crutchfield kit. Where you able to get the rear view camera to work? How does the unit compare in battery drain to the stock radio?
I haven't had the chance to install the voltage regulator and get the backup camera working, but it's still on the to-do list. I have the regulator and I know the pinouts from other threads... I just have to find the time.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the performance of the radio. The screen washes out in direct sunlight, just like the stock one does, so no improvement there. The screen does dim with the headlights, in contrast to what one person reviewed on Crutchfield's site.

All available steering wheel controls work, though the adapter box has settings for Preset +/- and Track +/-. I only programmed the box for Preset +/- since we don't have Track +/- buttons. Apple CarPlay doesn't skip ahead/back tracks when using Preset +/-, though, even though the regular UI does (e.g., on USB thumb drive content/BlueTooth audio)! :?

Other than that, Apple CarPlay works brilliantly. When using Maps, the main map displays on the big display while next turn directions appear on the phone. Nice! Other non-Apple apps work pretty well, with some of them failing to launch when the phone is locked. (Just unlock the phone and they start right up.)

I may be installing another one of these soon. My wife is JEALOUS of the radio in my car and wants one for hers. She doesn't have a backup camera in her Jeep Compass, so I will have to add one of those, too, for her. An inexpensive license plate backup camera will likely be my choice for that.

aarond12 said:
I just (mostly) finished the Sony XAV-AX100 radio in my 2015 LEAF "S". For the most part, it was simple. I got a kit from Crutchfield which included the bracket, wiring harness, antenna adapter, and hands-free adapter (same one that others talked about above).

51unNVn.jpg

Do you have he link for the hands free adapter from Crutchfield? When I ordered the Sony XAV-AX100 I couldn't find any hands free/wheel control adapters that were compatible with the Leaf.

Thanks.

I think this thread will help solve how to keep the original microphone working: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=23887&p=494120#p494120

Having the same issue with crutchfield and hands free connection kit for steering wheel controls.

Did anyone figure out what part this is?

Really want to make this swap, but am a relative novice when it comes to these installs and would love to avoid a multi-step install to get it right!

Seems like hands free kit, radio amp and step down adapters are key. Anything else?

Has anyone done this with a full set of pictures yet on the step by step?

dlupien said:

You are totally wrong with considering messing with the car radio on a leased car.... Especially for the simple reason of you having a few more highs and lows on your radio...

You do not own that car, you are renting it... Anything you do to it would possible damage the original condition of the car. Legally, you would be liable at the end of the lease for damage... If you try to hide any damage that you did at lease end, then you are morally wrong for messing up a car that someone else would end up "owning".... Don't mess with a lease...

Hi jeffster06, I had a quick question for you regarding your setup for the bluetooth bypass. I have gotten everything else wired and setup, removed the bluetooth module and done the bypasses on the correct pins, but the one part that is holding me up is what you are getting the power from to put on pin 29. With having studied the wiring diagrams, I am thinking I can just use the 5v that is being used to power the antenna. Is this where you were getting the power from? If not, where were you getting your power from? Thanks so much.

jeffster06 said:
Glad you got your install nearly done, now the fun part, as I found out, was getting through phone buttons to work...

... If you look at the vehicle specific instructions available from PAC (the other steering wheel control brand available), they give you detailed instructions on wires that have to spliced or jumpered on connector "Nissan32BT" (in the trunk: right rear trim panel). It's real convenient to get to the as the connector is buried behind a plastic trim panel that you have to remove about 4 other trim pieces to get to it. The reason you have to do this is because the Bluetooth module is located in the back of the car and the steering wheel buttons are connected directly to it, then the module sends a modified signal to the radio, but you have to bypass the BT module to make it work with the interface that connects to the pioneer. This modification is needed to make either the m
axxiss or the PAC interface to work. (you also have to connect a second remote wire to the interface if you haven't already)

Refer to the instructions here for working with that one connector: http://www.pac-audio.com/SWI/SWIAppGuide.aspx?appguideid=651&swiModel=Leaf&swiYear=2013&swiMake=Nissan&swiProduct=SWI-PS&swiRadioManu=Pioneer&swiOptions=Radio%20+%20BT

The wiring is the same on my 2015 as the 2013 in the link.

Let me know if you have any questions... It's been about a year since I did mine... Might have to look back at my notes from it.

Hi all. I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I just have a simple question regarding swapping radios. I’m not looking for a different radio or aftermarket radio. I simply want to take the factory radio from my 2015 S model and replace it with the SV factory radio. I know the climate controls are also involved in the trim so I’d probably have to replace that as well. Any thoughts?

Gregoryestes said:
Hi all. I apologize if this has been addressed in another thread. I just have a simple question regarding swapping radios. I’m not looking for a different radio or aftermarket radio. I simply want to take the factory radio from my 2015 S model and replace it with the SV factory radio. I know the climate controls are also involved in the trim so I’d probably have to replace that as well. Any thoughts?

This was addressed in another thread that you started. The S model radio can be replaced with an aftermarket radio. Even if you could transplant a SV/SL radio into a S model, the CarWings (EVConnect) and some other features would not function because the modules required to drive them are not installed in the S model, and Nissan has provided no upgrade path to add them.

Well, it's been a while since I did this swap and finally got around to the final phase of the process: removing the bluetooth controller. I used this thread as a guide but I discovered a big improvement along the way I wanted to share. Here are my notes:

• Yes you really do have to remove the rear seats (well, move them forward a bit) to get the side panel off. It’s not worth bending the panel and my controller was a real pain to unbolt.
  • If you just bridge the connections on the cable according to the thread above, you don’t need to worry about 5v power if you use the mic that came with the Pioneer head unit (since it’s unpowered).
  • I initially tried to use the existing mic by drawing power from the roof light assembly but the 5v regulator I used was too noisy. If you sound like you’re in a helicopter when you call people, this is your problem.
  • I opened up the existing mic, removed its innards, and replaced them with the innards of the Pioneer mic. I wrapped the new mic in a bit of heat shrink tubing to give it a snug fit. Then I just wired it into the existing harness (shield to pin 2).
  • On the head unit end of things, I wired pin 24 and 25 (tel voice -/+) back to the plug that came with the mic. For bonus points I imagine you can wire pin 26 to ground to give the cable some shielding (I didn’t have enough pins to do this).
  • I ran out of pins but I noticed pins 31 and 32 on M84 were no longer wired to anything on the car side. I confirmed they were useless by testing all the steering wheel buttons with them pulled. Then I used these pins for the mic line in the point above.

Results: I now have excellent mic placement and all of the steering wheel buttons work, yay!

Hi. I've just started to replace the factory radio with a pioneer AVIC F950DAB. However I have a 2014 leaf (low spec) with nav upgrade, which in fact is a connect 2 Head unit (Nissan part number 259 153VU0A).

The schematic earlier in this post of a 2013 leaf has three audio set-ups, but unfortunately they are all different to my vehicle. Does anyone have a pin out schematic of the connect 2 head unit- I particularly am looking for the speed pulse wire. Thanks

Here is an image of the HU that might help...uploaded to

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/nissanJazz/leafHU%202_zpscyqjzmn8.jpg

and

http://s44.photobucket.com/user/nissanJazz/media/leafHU%201_zpszpazmybq.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Back