Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, guys - great info as always. And thank you for the reminder about the fact that this won't work on a 15a circuit - I'm an idiot for not remembering this from the get-go. That said, an adapter for a regular 20a, 120v would be good to have. I have a bunch of 12g wire hanging around, so this should be easy to cobble together. Thanks for the links to the 14-50 females.

bigedgar said:
Thanks, guys - great info as always. And thank you for the reminder about the fact that this won't work on a 15a circuit - I'm an idiot for not remembering this from the get-go. That said, an adapter for a regular 20a, 120v would be good to have. I have a bunch of 12g wire hanging around, so this should be easy to cobble together. Thanks for the links to the 14-50 females.
Yes I always liked using my 16a EVSE(on a 20a 120v circuit) because the charging was roughly 13% faster than my OEM EVSE. Of course the downside to carrying around just the 16a EVSE is if you only have access to a 15a circuit, you'd be SOL :(
Because of this I got an adjustable 120/240v EVSE where I could adjust the current to whatever voltage/amperage my circuit is, I also didn't like carrying around 2 EVSEs in an already cramped hatch :(

Do you guys have any links for the 14-50 to 5-20 adapter you mentioned. I know you guys are making them, but for those of us who are less handy can we just buy these adapters somewhere? I would like to be able to adapt the Zencar 32a down for 120v 15a and 20a circuits. Thanks!

There's this one, which inspired me to make my own, lol:

http://www.corddepot.com/shop/ev-products/conntek-ev520t-5-20p-to-14-50r-ev-adapter/

Nice, you can always be counted on for a helpful comment.

As I explained before:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22692&start=110#p492105

I know this just falls on deaf ears with you though. Thanks, as usual, for your condescension and ridicule.

alozzy said:
Nice, you can always be counted on for a helpful comment.

As I explained before:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22692&start=110#p492105

I know this just falls on deaf ears with you though. Thanks, as usual, for your condescension and ridicule.

I fail to see how any "comment" makes this idea less dangerous and dumb.

It's not ridicule or condescension... it's a dire warning. THIS ADAPTOR IS DANGEROUS AND DUMB. It may burn somebody's house down. It may kill somebody.

I won't be belittled into being silent about something so blatantly dumb and dangerous.

Good luck.

It's your persistently snarky tone that I take issue with. Why don't you try a little tact?

I know that your company sells a portable EVSE that automatically adjusts the current to match the supply; however, I can't afford a $900 US EVSE. The OP stated early on that he can't afford a $900 EVSE either. So, we make do with what we've got.

I have zero concerns using my adapter cable for the purpose for which it is intended - exclusively for my portable EVSE, which allows me to set the amperage rate before I plug it in.

i just got my Duosida also, charging up compared to the 120v is night and day. a very good 200$ investment to make the Leaf more flexible. Since my dryer is right next to the garage i split the Duosida off the 30a dryer circuit and installed an extension plug for it on the garage side of the wall that is easier to get to than reaching behind the dryer to swap plugs.

My dryer takes 20a (measured) and duosida takes 16a so i can't use them at the same time is the only concession i have to make.

alozzy said:
It's your persistently snarky tone that I take issue with. Why don't you try a little tact?

I know that your company sells a portable EVSE that automatically adjusts the current to match the supply; however, I can't afford a $900 US EVSE. The OP stated early on that he can't afford a $900 EVSE either. So, we make do with what we've got.

I have zero concerns using my adapter cable for the purpose for which it is intended - exclusively for my portable EVSE, which allows me to set the amperage rate before I plug it in.

How about a $900 unit for half price? We have used ones.

We also sell a direct competitor to the 16 amp Duosida, built for us by the same company that built the Duosida. Ours has several changes, but the best change is interchangeable plugs (much like our $900 unit) for:

NEMA 14-50 (RV parks)
NEMA 10-30 (old dryers)
NEMA 5-15 (household 120 volt outlet)

We can even modify the 14-50 to be used with 14-30 (new dryers) and 14-20 (stoves).

But, folks who swap around amperage plugs the other way, well I've said what I think about it. You could NEVER overload a circuit with our adaptors. We just won't build them that way. We won't suggest others do, either. The danger is too great.

I've seen the leftovers from electrical hack jobs. I've also seen some of the hack jobs before they burn the place down. The only thing different between the two is the fire.

I'm just about ready to order one of these. Been quoted $188 for one with a 10-30p plug and 10-meter cord shipped via air freight.

Question is, how would I convert the plug to 5-15 120-volt? Wouldn't use it very often but would be nice to have the flexibility.
Would I buy a different input cable? A plug adapter? Any sources y'all would recommend?

Personally I would have not gone with a 10-30p, even if your outlet is a 10-30r, unless it's all you ever plan to use. Reason being, 10-30r(female version plug) is basically impossible to find. Purchasing an outlet and box is really your only choice which is bulky, costs more and isn't probably waterproof for outdoor use. Instead I would have suggested a L6-30p or L14-30p, both of which the female variety are easily found and at places like Amazon cost <$10.
In your case, unless you want to cut off your 10-30p end and wire on something like a L6-30p, your only real choice for 120v use is to purchase a 10-30p wall outlet(you may be able to find one with a built in outlet box, usually brown in color and Bakelite plastic) and wire it with a 1' piece of 10-3 wiring to a 5-15p(standard wall plug). Running the 10-30s neutral to the 5-15's ground, and one of the 10-30s hots to the 5-15 hot and the other 10-30's hot to the remaining 5-15's neutral connection. Like I said it won't really be waterproof and the 10-30r isn't really meant for outdoor use, but it would work, albeit it bulky and maybe a bit hokey looking.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-Dryer-Outlet-Receptacle-10-30R/dp/B00004YUMW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1500469141&sr=8-3&keywords=10-30r
https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Electric-YGA017F-Electrical-Receptacle/dp/B0095GKC8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500469199&sr=8-1&keywords=L6-30r
If you won't want to make one yourself you might try VegasBrad on MNL, he may sell or could custom make such adapters, I believe for ~$30 + shipping, although the price could be higher, I'm just going off memory.

10M cord, whoa thats a long one! explains the slightly higher price for your EVSE, still IMO it can't really be too long, especially if you plan on using your EVSE in a variety of places. I got a 8M and have used every bit of it on a couple occasions, safer to extend the J1772 cable than the input cable.

I think you're right. How about an EVSE with a 6-20 plug instead, along with a 6-20R to 10-30P adapter?

Here's an example adapter:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-6-20r-to-10-30p-adapter?variant=27441145032

Then for plugging into 120-volt, an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073BVR2VP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3N514MNMOGD63&psc=1

Would this setup work better?

skbbks said:
I think you're right. How about an EVSE with a 6-20 plug instead, along with a 6-20R to 10-30P adapter?

Here's an example adapter:

https://www.evseadapters.com/products/nema-6-20r-to-10-30p-adapter?variant=27441145032

Then for plugging into 120-volt, an adapter like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073BVR2VP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3N514MNMOGD63&psc=1

Would this setup work better?
Yes I wasn't sure what Duosida you were looking at but if your only looking at a 16a it should be fine to go with a 6-20 plug. Note I'm not particularly excited about the adapter you listed from Amazon, it says it's only 14 gauge, it should really be 12 gauge for 16a continuous use, I mean why they would save only pennies and skimp on 14 gauge wire is beyond me :?
I like the L6-30 plug as I prefer it's larger lugs and plugs, plus most of my EVSEs are 30a but again if you plan on mainly using 16a EVSEs and plugs, it should be fine. You'll probably have to make your 10-30p to 6-20r adapter as thats probably not a very common conversion to make. A 10-30p plug on one end, a length of 12 gauge 3 conductor wire and finally a female 6-20r plug for the other end. I suppose for 16a use the 6-20r is even more compact and lighter not to mention cheaper than the L6 locking plugs.

I realize this is an older post but I have a new Duosida that is hard to get on and off too. When you look in the ends you see part of the ends of the silver metal receptacles inside the plastic J1772 housing. On my oem 2018 Nissan leaf evse you don't see the metal. The plastic housing guides the pins onto the car charging port pins and onto the receptacles smoothly. I opened up the J1772 as per Antron X's photos and found it wasn't the springs making it tight... they were loose on the receptacles. I took them off and spread the the four prongs on the receptacles just enough so they wouldn't show when reassembled in the housing. I did spread the spring "bracelets" a little too so they woudn't tighten the receptacles when I reinstalled them. Everything works fine now. Smoothly attaches now both on and off the car's charging port. Thanks to Antron X. I'll be keeping this now. We'll see how durable they are and how long it lasts. Of course, we shouldn't have to do this if it was assembled properly. Mine is the 16Amp 240 volt with the 6-20 plug (OEM is 27.5 amps with a NEMA 14-50 plug). This fix is not for everyone as we are dealing with electricity here and possibly expensive car repairs if you damage the evse. I bought this because the reviews were 4.2 out of 5 stars wherever I looked... very few people even mentioned the tight fit. Initially I needed two hands to put the Duosida evse on and off and took care not to wiggle, etc. When I first read AntronX's post AFTER I bought this, the possibility of scratching or damaging the pins on the charging port is what got my attention. All seems well now.

You could send your EVSE to Quick Charge Power. For around $100 Tony will replace the J1772 connector.

Thanks for that suggestion. I'm in Canada though. Do you know of anyone good here who does evse repairs?

Sorry, I am a US resident. I do know Tony and he may be used to customs forms. Give him a call and ask.

AntronX said:
For second part of my review I will talk about poor connector quality. I noticed that Duosida connectors are much harder to insert into the car compared to classic Yazaki plugs. Turns out the sockets in Duosida plug are made way too tight and are placing excessive friction on the pins. They are also shearing the little plastic tips on the pins of the car charge port. This excessive force wears the silver coating on the pins much faster and can cause faster pin failure. I discovered that removing small springs around each socket in Duosida plug made insertion much smoother. But then I discovered that one of the sockets was gripping the pin at 3 sharp corners - imprinting scratches into the pin surface. It took me few hours of working the socket inner surface with the shanks of various drill bits to finally produce smoother connector surface mating action. Now this Duosida plug is as smooth as my other 3 yazaki plugs. Based on this, I cannot recommend this portable EVSE out of concern that it will place much higher wear on car's charge port pins.

PIctures here: http://imgur.com/a/XbVF0

edit: imgur messed up order of my pictures.

I'm hoping AntronX sees this post. I'd like to mod my Duosida plug by removing the springs but I can't see how to disassemble the plug. I opened it up and removed three screws which I thought would allow the sockets to drop down but they're not moving. Would you mind posting a couple of pictures or providing and explanation of how to get to the sockets/springs? Did you have any issues with having the springs removed over time?

I also found mine to be incredibly tight to plug in.

Thank you Bill Lawson.

Back