Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brooklynboy said:
I ordered the 16A 240V duosida from amy at zencar. It works well and I would recommend it. 8 day lead time for custom 35ft cable and 5 days shipping time from China. I'm tempted to get the shake shake 32A adjustable version, but I have what I need for now.
Sweet :cool: how much was it with the 35' cable? I ordered a longer 8m(about 25') cord for my 32a "shaker" :lol: and it's come in handy on more than one occasion. The display is also very nice as opposed to the idiot light? on the 16a version.
It's amazing how fast they can ship from China, sometimes it takes longer for Amazon to ship my order from across the US :x

$181 by paypal. Is 6 Kwh charging more efficient than 3Kwh? I've read that there is a big difference in overhead for 120V vs 240V, but not much difference in efficiency between 240V 16A vs 240V 32A ( besides time).

brooklynboy said:
$181 by paypal. Is 6 Kwh charging more efficient than 3Kwh? I've read that there is a big difference in overhead for 120V vs 240V, but not much difference in efficiency between 240V 16A vs 240V 32A ( besides time).
Apparently the losses in the cars charger are somewhat fixed so the faster you charge, the more efficient it is. Since 27.5a is almost twice as fast as 16a, you should be able to charge almost twice as fast, thus reducing the approx 300 watts of loss in half. I believe the loss is ~300w but would be open to correction :)
For sure the worst is 12a @ 120v where you have the loss for tens of hours compared to as low as 3.5hrs with 27.5a on a 24kwh Leaf.

@Alozzy - yes, includes shipping & paypal charge. The 35ft is from black brick to J1772 (fits well, not tight).

@ jjeff - I did a search " charger efficiency site:mynissanleaf.com " and 300W to 333W loss seems about right. It's weird because now that I know the exact number, it's going to bug me. I assume a stray cat will sleep under the car and make use of the wasted energy. Another option is to sous vide some chicken under the hood or maybe duck confit.

lol, thanks for the price breakdown. The 16A EVSE is roughly half the cost of the 32A version - which makes sense :) At that price, it's pretty hard to beat.

Just a quick note - I ordered a 16 amp Duosida from Zencar after a bunch of emails with Ms. Dream at Zencar to make sure I understood what I was ordering. I paid ten days ago, was told after I paid that they didn't have the unit in stock and it would be 7 days until they could ship. I was in no hurry and the delay was fine with me. It's now been ten days since I paid and haven't heard a thing despite sending two emails asking for status. This is my first time ordering directly from China with no company like Amazon or eBay to offer any assurances, so I was a little hesitant but went into the transaction understanding the risk. Hopefully it all works out, but I wanted to let people in this thread know my experience. I'll post an update when the transaction is resolved one way or another.

My order was delayed too, due to what "Ms Dream" said was a shortage of 14-50 plugs. I too was a little nervous, but after I was given a tracking #, the EVSE arrived at my door only a few days later.

Thanks, the 14-50 plug was the holdup with my order as well. I got a reply back last night stating that the company had been closed for the last 3 days due to the May Day holiday and my order would be out tomorrow.

bigedgar said:
Just a quick note - I ordered a 16 amp Duosida from Zencar after a bunch of emails with Ms. Dream at Zencar to make sure I understood what I was ordering. I paid ten days ago, was told after I paid that they didn't have the unit in stock and it would be 7 days until they could ship. I was in no hurry and the delay was fine with me. It's now been ten days since I paid and haven't heard a thing despite sending two emails asking for status. This is my first time ordering directly from China with no company like Amazon or eBay to offer any assurances, so I was a little hesitant but went into the transaction understanding the risk. Hopefully it all works out, but I wanted to let people in this thread know my experience. I'll post an update when the transaction is resolved one way or another.
I ordered mine right near the end of the year/Christmas time and my order was also somewhat delayed. They were closed for a week?? during that time and unfortunately my order didn't get out until after their break :( (and I thought Chinese factory workers were all slaves working for pennies and worked 7 12hr days.......j/k) anyway as soon as they opened back up I received an email from Dream apologizing for the delay and literately 2 days later I had my EVSE :shock:

This was also my first experience ordering direct from China(I don't even like to use ebay but rather Amazon) so I was also worried, but again I got my EVSE and saved a ton and it works like a champ, I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. It's nice ordering from Amazon and to have local support and it's the reason that ordering that way costs more money, but IMO it's even more nice saving a big chunk of change.....if it's legit which these guys are, they just seem to have lots of time off during the most inopportune times :lol:

Note, and this was/is a concern of mine, I/we are the importer of these EVSEs and as such assume responsibility for any warranty issues. The mfg. will repair or replace the EVSE during the warranty period but it's the responsibility of the buyer(us) to get the EVSE back to the mfg., which shipping to China could get rather costly :( In my thought something like a EVSE is probably pretty reliable and little chance of something going wrong but just so you(or who ever orders like this) aren't OK with this, I suggest paying more($100-$200 and not the option to have it custom built the way you'd want it) and fine a N. American based re-seller, preferably from say Amazon where they have a very good return policy and probably wouldn't charge for return shipping in case of problems with the EVSE :)

Again you save money, and can be a good percentage of money, but as the buyer we assume risks we might not ordering from more conventional channels.

jjeff said:
maini said:
maini said:
I am interested in the
http://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

6A-32A adjustable EVSE

EVSE adjustable: 6A 8A 10A 13A 16A 20A 32A
Protection class: IP54(in mated conditions)
Constant Updates Added With New Features
Work voltage: 110V~240v
Accept sample,delivery time 3-5 days.
Accept product customization

Need to see if they will put a L14-30 on as the plug.. also how long the wires are.. I have emailed them this morning..

6A-32A adjustable EVSE: Can select only 3 charging rates by shaking the EVSE!!!

1. 14-50 plug one end other end J1772
2. 16A 20A 32A only
3. 8M of total cable length. The unit price is $295/pc
4. Shipping cost UPS $66 usd.
5. Paypal payment

Total Price = $361
Well I took the plunge, ordered one of those adjustable 30a EVSEs direct from the Chinese seller, Zencar. My salesperson was "Dream" who was pretty decent to work with and here are the specs I specifically wanted and got, in quotes are from seller:

"The evse box has display ,it measures voltage, current and accumulated charging power kWh.

J1772 ev plug + 13A/20A/32A evse + 8m cables + 6 - 30 plug FOB price is 300usd/pc. It has CE, TUV certification, 12 months warranty."

Express shipping from China was $64 and they said I should have it no later than 8 days. I was nicked a $16.40 "PayPal fee" but I just wasn't sure if giving my CC # directly to a Chinese merchant(even though they seemed legitimate in every respect) was a good idea....
So a total of $380.40 shipped to my door for a 30a EVSE with a 8m(~25') cable and ability to limit current to 13a(for a 15 circuit) 20a(slightly overloading a 20a circuit but OK for shorter duration(an hour or so) 20a use) and finally 30a(they said max output with the L6-30 that I wanted could only be 30a) which should give me 27.5a on my '13 Leaf, plugged into a proper circuit.
I'll fill you in on how it works once I've gotten it and played with it for a while, no other portable 30a EVSE in this price range, the closest would probably be the $399 wall mount GE(only 18' cord) which IMO is way too bulky to carry around or maybe the $500 Juicebox basic that you cannot limit the charging current or $600 Juicebox you can limit charging current but your need to use your cell phone or lastly for ~$600 you could get a ClipperCreek that you couldn't limit charge current and only works on L2(240v). No for <$400 this seems a real versatile nicely priced EVSE, hope it works well :)

Base unit I ordered, note you don't get all the charging currents listed, I picked the (3) I most wanted and I believe I got a longer cord than is normal, I think 5m(~15') is standard unless you specify.
http://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

Finally I took the plunge too as two of my friends wanted this so we did a group buy.
1. 14-50 plug one end other end J1772
2. 12A 16A 24A 32A settings
3. 8M of total cable length.
She sold us for $280 each
Shipping was $94 and PayPal fees $32

It worked out to $966 for 3 items delivered to my doorstep.
So $322 per piece delivered to my door.
My sales person was
Amy Sales Director
[email protected]

@alozzy - yes, it arrived yesterday. Tested it out last night and it's charging at 3.x kw as promised (and they apparently DID wire my 14-50 plug correctly - I was on the lookout for this as someone else on this thread had their 14-50 plug wired incorrectly). The quality looks good. I'm happy.

I know this unit can operate at 120 or 240v. In my setup, it'll mostly be operating at 240v, but it'd be nice to ditch my standard Kia Level 1 EVSE and just carry the Duosida around. To do this, I'd need to be able to build an adapter cord to convert the the 14-50 plug to a standard 15 amp wall plug. Does anyone know if the Duosida will auto-detect 120v and step down the current appropriately?

(And yes, I know that building a franken-plug would be at my own risk, I could blow up the EVSE, my car, my house, my neighborhood, etc. - just exploring this in the interest of science at the moment...)

@bigedgar, I think you bought this EVSE:

http://www.e-zencar.net/charging-mode-2-16a/

If so, I don't think you can set the current draw so you're stuck with 16A.

If so, you can't use it on a regular 5-15 receptacle.

If you happen to have a 110V @ 20A circuit, then you could make your own adapter using this 14-50 receptacle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00192QB9M/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X7MY9YH8E58D9AFN9FSS&dpPl=1&dpID=41gaedKQ%2BbL

Then find a heavy duty computer power cord at a local used computer store (printer cables are usually 14AWG) and cut the end off and wire it to the receptacle.

Obviously, if you ever plugged that adapter into a standard 110V outlet and ran the EVSE off of it, then you would at best trip the breaker - or worse...

bigedgar said:
I know this unit can operate at 120 or 240v. In my setup, it'll mostly be operating at 240v, but it'd be nice to ditch my standard Kia Level 1 EVSE and just carry the Duosida around. To do this, I'd need to be able to build an adapter cord to convert the the 14-50 plug to a standard 15 amp wall plug. Does anyone know if the Duosida will auto-detect 120v and step down the current appropriately?
Yes it will work no problem but just so you know, if your car is capable of higher 120v charging(as Leafs with the 6.6kwh build in charger are) the car/EVSE will draw the same 16a @ 120v as it does on 240v. What this means is your wiring/breaker and outlet need to be able to rated for 20a, you'll blow a 15a breaker in short time.
The EVSE doesn't really step anything down, at 240v you have two legs that have 120v on each one or 240v between the two of them, at 120v one side is a neutral and the other is 120v so 120v between the two legs. To build your converter plug you need a 14-50 female plug and 5-15 male plug on the other, with a section of at least 12 gauge 3 wire between the two plugs. Wire the neutral from the 5-15 plug to one of the hots of the 14-50 plug, wire the hot from the 5-15 plug to the other hot of the 14-50 plug and finally the ground of the 5-15 plug to the ground of the 14-50 plug. The neutral or center horizontal pin of the 14-50 will not be used.
My favorite 14-50 female is:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55353-Female-Replacement-Receptacle/dp/B00192QB9M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494359209&sr=8-5&keywords=14-50r
And for a 5-15 plug you could use any heavy duty one you wanted, every hardware store or big box retailer will have them. You could also use a short 12 gauge extension cord like this, which would save you purchasing a separate 12-3 wire.
https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-2882-Heavy-Duty-Contractor/dp/B000BQU576/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1494359399&sr=8-10&keywords=12-3+extension+cord
Note I just purchased a couple of the above at my local big box hardware store for $4.99 on sale, the above link is more for reference, I think the price is kind of high.
Do NOT purchase something like this, it will NOT work with EVs.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55168-PowerGrip-Dogbone-Electrical/dp/B00HRHWHNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494359618&sr=8-1&keywords=14-50+to+5-15+adapter
This would work but IMO is WAY overpriced:
https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-125-Volt-Locking-Electric-Vehicle/dp/B00STD8CYG/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1494359890&sr=8-48&keywords=tesla+power+cord+adapter
Lastly, a couple people on MNL sell such adapter plugs for cheaper than the Tesla one I linked, try VegasBrad or Tony Williams. They will still be more than you could DIY but if your not the DIY kind of person or unsure, that might be your best bet :)

alozzy said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00192QB9M/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X7MY9YH8E58D9AFN9FSS&dpPl=1&dpID=41gaedKQ%2BbL

Then find a heavy duty computer power cord at a local used computer store (printer cables are usually 14AWG) and cut the end off and wire it to the receptacle.
I would NOT suggest using a computer cord for his 16a EVSE. 14 gauge wire is only capable of 15a max and technically should max out for continuous use at 12a or 80% of 15a. 12 gauge wire is rated for 16a continuous and is a better fit for his EVSE :) You can always go thicker gauge for wiring but you should never go thinner than rated capacity.

This is the type of computer power cord I was refering to:

413V4t1sXxL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/NEMA-5-20P-Power-Cord-Adapter/dp/B00H7I0XNC/ref=sr_1_7?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1494363226&sr=1-7&keywords=5-20+20A+power+cord

Back