Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
macnut said:
For installing the switch in the dash you need a 3/4" or 18mm. hole which is probably standard for automotive switches of the round kind.
Thanks for posting this, that was one of my remaining questions. I haven't gotten around to installing mine yet.

macnut said:
I used a 3/4" spade wood bit as a guide - handheld.
Is there a reason it would be a bad idea to use the 3/4" spade bit to drill the hole in one shot?

Cheers, Wayne

I used a larger UNI-bit and it worked great. Of course if I didn't have a UNI-bit that large I'd have probably used a spade or even metal bit, after all were only talking about relatively thin plastic, basically any drill would work. If using a metal bit I'd use a pilot hole unless your bit had a built in pilot.

wwhitney said:
Is there a reason it would be a bad idea to use the 3/4" spade bit to drill the hole in one shot?

From what I understand, a brad point (a.k.a. spur) bit is preferred for drilling in plastic.

Similar appearance to a spade bit for wood but with a screw type starter.

I was wary of using such a long bit with limited access and not be able to approach it vertically in the location I chose.
Other locations would not be a concern - except you would still have to be vigilant when the bit gets through to not tear into anything behind.

Wasn't familiar with Uni bits but that looks like a good choice if you practice on some scrap with one beforehand.

macnut said:
except you would still have to be vigilant when the bit gets through to not tear into anything behind.

Wasn't familiar with Uni bits but that looks like a good choice if you practice on some scrap with one beforehand.
Yes the nice thing about a unibit is it's point is relatively dull and it's quite short, neither of which can be said about a spade bid, I was also paranoid of cutting or nicking other wires behind the hole. Of course unibits aren't exactly cheap but they come in very handy for other things like sheet metal and such. Lastly what I like about unibits is the one bit has lots of different sizes, just drill deeper for a larger size. I did this for my heater switch, drilled until I came to the correct size and then stopped, oh they also leave a nice clean edge.

Greetings!
I have now recieved the last prototype before production of a new switch harness. A few minor changes needs to be done but it really looks great with the "OEM-looking" switch (with lights! :D ) . And with this mod. you do not have to remember to turn the switch to "0" before leaving the car if you want to preheat with Carwings. When you turn the car OFF the switch automaticly returns to normal operation, and when you turn the car ON it will resume to the latest setting.

This will be an "add on" to the "old" harness.

Here is a sneak preveiw:

The "retail" price will be about 150 NOK ($ 15-20) + shipping. I have raised the price on the "old" kit a bit to able to reduce the cost of the new kit. By doing this buyers that already have the the climate control harness will get a lower price on the new kit.

If everything goes according to plan US buyers will benefit from low shipping cost on this kit as well since it will be sent to US-adresses by a US-user here on the forum.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB0TJN9cWQo[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB0TJN9cWQo

i used this switch from RS; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/2596604/?sra=pstk

R2596604-01.jpg

TorC said:
Greetings!

Hi Tor,

Great product you have! I just put through an order on your website, then read about this update. Is it possible to hold off shipping the harness until you have the additional "OEM-looking switch"? I would love to purchase this as well and would prefer not to pay shipping twice.

Order number is 204.

Thanks!

Aussie said:
TorC said:
Greetings!

Hi Tor,

Great product you have! I just put through an order on your website, then read about this update. Is it possible to hold off shipping the harness until you have the additional "OEM-looking switch"? I would love to purchase this as well and would prefer not to pay shipping twice.

Order number is 204.

Thanks!

Hi,
I can hold off shipping the harness until the switch is available. However, the savings in shipping is not that much since it will be shipped from the US, and the added weight will give a higher shipping cost. The difference in shipping cost is about $ 2. And be aware that I do not have a delivery date for the switch harness yet. And it will be delayed even more since I am trying to make the connectors "fool proof" so that it is to possible to stick the + terminal in the - terminal.

If you want me to ship the climate harness now please send me an e-mail (you will find my address on your order confirmation e-mail and on bottom of my website.) Or else I will wait until the switch harness is in stock.

Best regards,

Tor J. C.

bitmanEV said:
i used this switch from RS; http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/rocker-switches/2596604/?sra=pstk

That is just the square version of the switch that comes with the climate control harness. It is a lot smaller than the "slots"/blanks.
It will of course work, but is not any easier to fit than the round one.

It is possible to get switches that do fit the empty slots. However they do not look very OEM/factory delivered, and the terminals are 6,3 mm instead of 4,8mm. And it does not solve the problem with having to remember to turn the switch OFF if you want to preheat.

The new switch harness will include an ON/OFF switch that looks just like the other switches in the car and it fits in the empty slots without drilling. It will have lights just like the OEM switch, and it does not require you to remember to turn it of to preheat.

The latest update:

After some testing with "real live customers" I have to make some minor changes, again. This means that the launch is postponed a few weeks again. The main change is adding terminal "holders" so that is not possible to install the cables reversed. This is not really important to the function of the switch or any potential for damage, but for anything connected to the 12v outlet to actually work. The second change is to change the lights from my favorite color blue, to yellowish/orange to match the other switches in the car.

Im installing your original harness with an switch from Aliexpress and a relay, as described earlier, but is it possible to get 12v and GND from the harness, so I don't have to wire it elsewhere..?

actibus said:
Im installing your original harness with an switch from Aliexpress and a relay, as described earlier, but is it possible to get 12v and GND from the harness, so I don't have to wire it elsewhere..?

It is possible, but I would not recommend it unless your really know what you are doing. And you absolutely must seperate the circiut connected to power from the climate control harness cables. I have never seen a automobile switch with lights that seperates 12+ from output. So you either need a relay or optocupler.

Another issue is that some of the +ve cables to the harness is live even if the car is OFF so that tapping into these may cause drain.

The easiest access to 12v is from the 12v outlet. It is really easy and simple. Or you could just wait until I am launching my switch kit... :)

Thank you very much for creating this kit. I ordered one on your site.

We are one week further, still no response... Is the site still active? Is Tor still active?

Update June 4th: Tor is still Active, and he has send me the heater kit. I will hopefully recieve it next week.

Update June 10th: received the heater controller kit yesterday. Really nice package, easy to install. Hopefully this winter it will increase my range enough to make my 84 km commute easier. Thanks Tor.

turbored said:
Assuming tor is no longer doing this - is there anyone else?

We had a poster who claimed to be working for a small manufacturer who was looking into what specialty/less expensive Leaf parts were in demand. That switch was suggested to him. I'll try to think of the topic name...

No, all of the 2013+ Leafs have both a heater On/Off switch and the newer, much better, direct to air heater. No hot coolant tank. The S (all years) lacks the heat pump.

Tor's kit for PTC heater disable is no longer available:

Better EV is currently unavailable
Please contact [email protected] for information

Is there an equivalent easy plug heater disable switch for the 2011 and 2012 leaf? Is there a way to retrofit a heat pump to older models?

Back