Is there any way to add a cruise control kit to the S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FalconFour said:
Oh well... I tried. :(

Doing everything by the spec sheet, I ended up wiring it up and not getting the "Cruise" indicator on the dash after all. I suspected this might be the case since the shifter behaves differently in the "S" as well - that is, there's no "B" mode, and shifting "D" twice toggles Eco mode just like 2011-2012s. That had to take a little different programming.

But I didn't think they'd go so far as to hard-code it in there. I figure they'd use 5V level on the pin as the detection for the cruise switch, and choose to operate in "S mode" if it doesn't have the switch present.

Nope. It just doesn't work at all, even when it's connected. So, here's where the story ends for now... hoping someone else picks it up from here!

Gallery on imgur - filled with hateful comments already :x http://imgur.com/gallery/IuA2N

Did you try all this with the car moving, >30 mph?

No. In the Leaf, the center dash display will say "Cruise ON" and split the screen in half when cruise is working (turned on, but not engaged, which can only be done at 25+MPH). Since that never happened - it never even turned "on", it's reasonable to assume the cruise isn't working at all.

Also, the shifter behaves differently on the old S trim (2013-2014) as it has no B mode, and Eco is nested into the D function just as it is in 2011-2012. So, with these changes, they filed it under a different part number, and it's pretty safe to say they just disabled the cruise function entirely on this model of the VCM. Maybe even the dash display, but that's less likely... I'm hoping it's all in the VCM, and someone with access to another (expensive!) VCM might shed some light on the available options going forward...

The gent who is testing a plug in module that goes on the throttle pedal to increase the efficiancy of the Leaf may be in the best position to create an aftermarket cruise control version of that system since he already has worked out throttle control from that interface.

Check this out:

http://www.canm8.com/cruise-control-systems/mitsubishi-cruise-control/precision-cruise-mitsubishi-i-miev.html

electronic-cruise-control-diagram.jpg

I know this forum is long since abandoned. I did want to make a point however in case anyone else is looking into adding cruise control.

The difference between the two VCMs (at least as far as cruise control is concerned) may be only a jumper between pin 111, and pin 125 on the VCM circuit board. I would like to see the ohms measurement for these two pins. If it's 0 then there's likely a jumper installed. This would be done as a precaution against unwanted cruise control activation due to pin 111 floating. (Honestly it could be a 5.5k resistor too...) No software change would be needed.

It could simply have been written like this:
If D Mode is twice activated then check pin 111.
If Pin 111 is 0v switch to ECO Mode (S Trim with jumper)
else If Pin 111 is > 4v then switch to B Mode (SL/SV w/o jumper)

I wonder if B-Mode can be enabled while the ASCD main switch is held down on a SL/SV...

Normally I would assume pin 111 is pulled up anyway on both VCM versions so a jumper/resistor would not be needed but it's possible it's not so when I have a minute I'll take a look at the VCM circuit board to see what I find. One side effect to finding and removing a jumper would be the possibility of gaining B-Mode on a Leaf S.

If I find anything I'll post about it here...

Narcea said:
I know this forum is long since abandoned. I did want to make a point however in case anyone else is looking into adding cruise control.

The difference between the two VCMs (at least as far as cruise control is concerned) may be only a jumper between pin 111, and pin 125 on the VCM circuit board. I would like to see the ohms measurement for these two pins. If it's 0 then there's likely a jumper installed. This would be done as a precaution against unwanted cruise control activation due to pin 111 floating. (Honestly it could be a 5.5k resistor too...) No software change would be needed.

It could simply have been written like this:
If D Mode is twice activated then check pin 111.
If Pin 111 is 0v switch to ECO Mode (S Trim with jumper)
else If Pin 111 is > 4v then switch to B Mode (SL/SV w/o jumper)

I wonder if B-Mode can be enabled while the ASCD main switch is held down on a SL/SV...

Normally I would assume pin 111 is pulled up anyway on both VCM versions so a jumper/resistor would not be needed but it's possible it's not so when I have a minute I'll take a look at the VCM circuit board to see what I find. One side effect to finding and removing a jumper would be the possibility of gaining B-Mode on a Leaf S.

If I find anything I'll post about it here...

Good luck and keep us posted!

I opened the VCM for the second time today. The 1st time was a little while ago to add a wire to enable DC Quick charge. Anyway, I traced pin 111 and found several "no pop" sites connected to it. I'd need way more information and schematics to go any further though AND it's still possible the cruise control is purely in software and removed for the S.

That's it for now...

Hello to all!
I can tell you about the retrofit Leaf ZE0 (2010-12) cruise control:
On the electrical part in the car, everything is already there (wires, connectors), only the cruise buttons are needed. The main problem is the VCM block, which cannot digest all control signals that come to it. It is necessary to implement the appropriate firmware in the "cruiseless" VCM block. The problem with programming VCM on ZE0, though not the most usual way, is solved because the producer of the block is Hitachi, but with AZE0 (2013-17) -?, there is the block Denso.

Prokop said:
Hello to all!
I can tell you about the retrofit Leaf ZE0 (2010-12) cruise control:
On the electrical part in the car, everything is already there (wires, connectors), only the cruise buttons are needed. The main problem is the VCM block, which cannot digest all control signals that come to it. It is necessary to implement the appropriate firmware in the "cruiseless" VCM block. The problem with programming VCM on ZE0, though not the most usual way, is solved because the producer of the block is Hitachi, but with AZE0 (2013-17) -?, there is the block Denso.
In the US, ALL 2011 and 2012 Leafs were only available in SV or SL trims and both of them came w/cruise control. There was no such thing as a 2010 model year Leaf. The 1st Leaf to go on sale in Dec 2010 was model year 2011.

It wasn't until model year '13 that we got the cheaper S trim which had no cruise control (not even as option). '14 S didn't have CC either. '15 S got it standard and it became standard thru model year '17 even on S.

I did read a lot about adding cruise to S leaf. I did succeed in it.
What do you gonna need:
1) steering wheels buttons.
2) shift indicator with B/D mode(optional, just a cosmetics).
3) set of computers from a cruise control leaf(2013-2017, 24 or 30kWh does not matter). You will gonna need VCM+BCM+key from the same car(or VCM + access to Consult 3+).
4) pins for connectors. Not sure where to get a pins for under steering wheel connectors (I had a whole steering spring cable with pigtails and this is where I took pins from), but VCM pins I took from 2000-2008 3 pins Nissan ECUs. I have tons of them.
P.s. trying to load images, have a hard time doing so. It will be here some day.

Back