2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that "exercising" the battery every so often gives data point to the software to make better educated guess on how much capacity still remains. At least that's my hope, looking at my terrible battery stats :)

Good to know that QC charge won't taper till 90%. Means fast charging will really be fast charging almost the entire time

babonbangke said:
I guess that "exercising" the battery every so often gives data point to the software to make better educated guess on how much capacity still remains. At least that's my hope, looking at my terrible battery stats :)

Good to know that QC charge won't taper till 90%. Means fast charging will really be fast charging almost the entire time

Exercising the pack provides a better balance. What is your voltage delta at 40-60%? This needs to be considered before a more informed comment can be made on the condition of the battery. The closer the pack is IOW, the lower the voltage delta, the longer the range, the better the numbers.

Get the delta under 10 mV then check your stats.

apacheguy said:
2016 SV 05/16 mfg date

82.34 Ahr
100% SOH
99.45% Hx
13 mV cell spread

Do you have Leaf Spy? If so, how many GID's do you have at full charge? 82.34 AH is the most I've seen reported for a 2016.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Exercising the pack provides a better balance. What is your voltage delta at 40-60%? This needs to be considered before a more informed comment can be made on the condition of the battery. The closer the pack is IOW, the lower the voltage delta, the longer the range, the better the numbers.

Never quite thought of it that way, but that does make sense. LeafSpy is currently showing 22mV delta at 65% SOC.

babonbangke said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Never quite thought of it that way, but that does make sense. LeafSpy is currently showing 22mV delta at 65% SOC.

that could be good, bad or not indicative which is the problem with random checks of voltage deltas. it depends on what the battery had just done.

For mine; I checked it regularly under the following conditions

after an overnight full charge
immediately after discharged to 20-40 % SOC
A few hours after the discharge to 20-40% SOC
Under 15% SOC

For the top 3 options, I improved from the mid teens low 20's to single digits over the span of a week of full cycle charging where I was taking LEAF from full charge to under 20 GIDs twice a day 5 times in a 6 day stretch.

Wow, that's quite a lot of driving!

I do see that the Ahr/SOH/Hx does improve whenever we drive more than ~20 miles in a day.

Finally got around to testing the L3 charging. On EVGO 40kW chargers, the LEAF is pretty happy pulling all 38-40kW until around 75% SOC, at which point it starts to slow down steadily. Not too shabby at all.

After putting in about 200 odd miles in the past 3 days, the battery stats has a marked improvement:
Date................odo miles......AHr........SOH....Hx
05/29/2016....1651 miles....72.017....90%....86.76%
06/01/2016....1886 miles....73.920....93%....88.72%

As you said, the leaf battery definitely likes to be exercised. In fact, this is the highest AHr seen ever since I've gotten LeafSpy. It'll probably start dropping again as we take it for our more typical 10-20 miles/day routine.

I've also paid a bit of attention to voltage spread. It's now usually around 10-15mV at 20-40% SOC.

babonbangke said:
After putting in about 200 odd miles in the past 3 days, the battery stats has a marked improvement:
Date................odo miles......AHr........SOH....Hx
05/29/2016....1651 miles....72.017....90%....86.76%
06/01/2016....1886 miles....73.920....93%....88.72%

As you said, the leaf battery definitely likes to be exercised. In fact, this is the highest AHr seen ever since I've gotten LeafSpy. It'll probably start dropping again as we take it for our more typical 10-20 miles/day routine.

I've also paid a bit of attention to voltage spread. It's now usually around 10-15mV at 20-40% SOC.

If you got it with only 72 amp hrs on the battery when new and It hasn't significantly improved since then, I'd complain to the dealer immediately. At least get it on the record for future warranty claims. The 30 KWH battery ought to be at 79-80 amp hrs. when new. You're showing a 10% loss just coming off the showroom floor. If you're only driving 20 mi per day, try to change your charging routine so that you only charge if you're below 40% If your routine is predictable enough, aim for around 20%-25% before charging.

Of course if you're leasing, you might not really care about the warranty too much but I'd still change your charging strategy.

363 gids is the most I've seen.

Degraded packs are certainly a possibility with Nissan dealers. That's why I looked at the VIN when making my purchase decision in addition to Leaf spy data. I would only buy a Leaf that's been on the lot for less than 2 months.

Manufacture date on the car was January 2016, we took delivery March 2016, so it did sit on the lot for a couple of months. On the flip side, it was sitting on the lot in cool winter months here in Pacific Northwest, so heat shouldn't yet be a factor. Of course, sitting at 100% charge for 2 months could be a problem.. but there's really no way to figure that out :(

OK, I've just cleared 10000 miles and the battery readings are as follows:

AHr=78.53
SOH= 98%
395.03 v
Hx=93.48%
odo=10071 mi
11QCs
206L1/L2s

359 GIDs at full charge 18mv differential between cells. I've never been able to get that lower than 12mv and I'm usually at 16-18mv no matter what the state of charge is. Lately I'm bouncing around 359-360 GIDs with an occasional 361 or 362 GIDs. The weather is warming up and so are my battery temps. Still mostly in the 6 bar range but I'm seeing 90-92 degrees in Leafspy and It has been as high as 102-104 with one flier at 112 degrees after a level 3 charge. I'm pretty happy with the battery so far but I need to see what happens during the summer. Should be at 15000 mi by the end of Sept. We'll see how the battery holds up over the summer.

I just got a 2016 SV after returning my 2013 SV at end of lease. I'm not too happy about this after 3 weeks.

AHr=74.46
SOH= 93%
Hx=89.50%
odo=967 mi
5 QCs
19 L1/L2s

When I returned my 2013 SV with almost 43K miles on it the SOH was 88% and the Hx was 88. This appears to me to have about 2 years of degradation (at least in Seattle).

How would I complain about this? Its not like anyone at the dealer is going to know anything. Any ideas?

jjgilham said:
I just got a 2016 SV after returning my 2013 SV at end of lease. I'm not too happy about this after 3 weeks.

AHr=74.46
SOH= 93%
Hx=89.50%
odo=967 mi
5 QCs
19 L1/L2s

When I returned my 2013 SV with almost 43K miles on it the SOH was 88% and the Hx was 88. This appears to me to have about 2 years of degradation (at least in Seattle).

How would I complain about this? Its not like anyone at the dealer is going to know anything. Any ideas?
Sometimes it takes a little while for the stats to go up if the car has been sitting for a period of time.

My stats didn't peak until around 1,400 miles. Mine started at 97% SOH.

How many miles do you drive per day? How often do you charge?

I drive about 1250 miles a month. My commute is 40 miles round trip and I get a good dose of errands and I generally have an even mix of highway and city driving. Most of my highway trips are short (3-10 miles). I do L2 charging at home almost exclusively. I live in Seattle so heat is not typically much of an issue.

Today my stats were:
Ahr 74.51
SOH 93%
Hx 89.43%
odo 1020 miles

The Hx is really bothersome to me although it doesn't seem anyone really knows what it means. This is about what my 2013 was I turned it in after 43k miles and close to 3 years.

jjgilham said:
I drive about 1250 miles a month. My commute is 40 miles round trip and I get a good dose of errands and I generally have an even mix of highway and city driving. Most of my highway trips are short (3-10 miles). I do L2 charging at home almost exclusively. I live in Seattle so heat is not typically much of an issue.

Today my stats were:
Ahr 74.51
SOH 93%
Hx 89.43%
odo 1020 miles

The Hx is really bothersome to me although it doesn't seem anyone really knows what it means. This is about what my 2013 was I turned it in after 43k miles and close to 3 years.

Try doing some dc fast charges. I'd try to get in 2 or 3 level 3 charges followed by topping off at home. Try to run the battery down to below 30% before charging. It may help to reform the cells. Since you're on a lease the battery dying is a moot point. If it doesn't improve after a couple of fast charges, I'd complain to the dealer and Nissan. The car is marketed as having a 30 KWH battery and the normal reading is 79-80 AH. I'd at least get it on the record that the readings are low. You might also see what the range is to Low Battery Warning. Low Battery Warning occurs at around 13% of charge so multiply your average mi/KWH by 26 KWH (87%) and see if it comes close to what you got. Hope that helps.

johnlocke said:
If it doesn't improve after a couple of fast charges, I'd complain to the dealer and Nissan. The car is marketed as having a 30 KWH battery and the normal reading is 79-80 AH. I'd at least get it on the record that the readings are low.
I don't think a dealer's going to do squat based upon a tool that's not from Nissan and based upon values that aren't even documented (to the public) by Nissan. We have no idea of their true meanings, typical variance/error range/precision nor what conditions they are or aren't accurate.

If there are DTCs, the car fails the CVLI test, is down 4+ capacity bars within the capacity warranty or has other noticeable symptoms, esp. that affect drivability or something that can Consult III+ can show the tech and is actionable, then they might do something.

johnlocke said:
jjgilham said:
The car is marketed as having a 30 KWH battery and the normal reading is 79-80 AH. I'd at least get it on the record that the readings are low. You might also see what the range is to Low Battery Warning. Low Battery Warning occurs at around 13% of charge so multiply your average mi/KWH by 26 KWH (87%) and see if it comes close to what you got. Hope that helps.
With either the 24 or 30, you aren't really getting 24 or 30 usable capacity. There is at least 6-8% hidden. The most I've seen on a 24 is 22.6.

cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
If it doesn't improve after a couple of fast charges, I'd complain to the dealer and Nissan. The car is marketed as having a 30 KWH battery and the normal reading is 79-80 AH. I'd at least get it on the record that the readings are low.
I don't think a dealer's going to do squat based upon a tool that's not from Nissan and based upon values that aren't even documented (to the public) by Nissan. We have no idea of their true meanings, typical variance/error range/precision nor what conditions they are or aren't accurate.

If there are DTCs, the car fails the CVLI test, is down 4+ capacity bars within the capacity warranty or has other noticeable symptoms, esp. that affect drivability or something that can Consult III+ can show the tech and is actionable, then they might do something.
As far as I know, only the loss of 4 bars is going to cause Nissan to replace your battery or a DTC read by a Consult 3+ showing a serious problem with the battery.

LeafSpy data is only for reference and has no value to a dealer. But any data LeafSpy shows can also be read with a Consult 3+ diagnostic tool.

Turbo3 said:
But any data LeafSpy shows can also be read with a Consult 3+ diagnostic tool.
Unfortunately, I have no insight as to what's viewable by the dealer/dealer tech relating to battery health and degradation when using Consult III+ software other than the crap near useless printout it generates.

There was http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=8260 from 2012 but that could've changed and who knows what part of that (if any) the dealer can actually see?

For those wondering what we're referring to by Consult III+, see https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=25 and http://www.nissantechmate.com/equipment/essentials_products.php?type=nissan#3.

Back