Heater OFF switch on 1. gen. "plug &play" solution!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
I have an unused one that is up for grabs if anyone wants it. Just pay the shipping...
I'm interested, I just purchased a used '12 and coming from a '13S the inability to turn off the heater killing me :(
PM sent.

Does anyone one have one of these for sale? I recently bought a 11 and would like to be able to control the heater.

Thanks!

Tonyt said:
Does anyone one have one of these for sale? I recently bought a 11 and would like to be able to control the heater.

Thanks!

Why not just buy one from the designer/builder? They're not that expensive and you can use PayPal:

http://betterev.tabetalt.no/

Dear fellow LEAF-owners,
I big "thank you" to all that has bought my "Climate control harness"! I have almost sold enought to cover my cost, and I am very greatful for all support.

The problem now is that I am starting to run out of harnesses. I am planning to order another 200 units, but raising cost due to currency change has forced me think keep cost down. And I have tried to keep cost down by using cheap wrapping, but that has consumed a lot of time. However the shipping cost has been the main driver of cost.

A solution to keep cost down is to find someone in the US that can help me by shipping harnesses to US-adresses. This will lower the shipping cost significantly, and it will also lower the production cost since I have to pay 25% VAT on harnesses sent from Norway. (And another issue is the enviromental cost).

If someone is willing to be a local "warehouse" in the US I am not able to pay a lot, but I will cover the cost, and a dollar or two per parcel.

I do not want to raise the price of the harnesses, but I need some help. This is NOT a business opertunity, but a pleading for help from the community.

If you are willing to send up to 50 harnesses at a less than minimum wage, please contact me.

EDIT 13th of June 2016: I have arranged with a trusted US forum member to help me sent the harnesses out. That will cut shipping cost by 2/3 for US addresses. Due to long production time this will not be available unit late July. The harness is still available from my Norwegian website. if you want to save the $ 5-6 on shipping, and a few ounces Co2 you can order the harness via PM or e-mail, but delivery will not be done until late Juli, early August.

Stanton said:
Tonyt said:

Thanks!

Why not just buy one from the designer/builder? They're not that expensive and you can use PayPal:

http://betterev.tabetalt.no/

I was just seeing if I can recycle from someone who has returned their leaf for lease. I did buy some from Tor, actually I got some extra ones. So anyone in the so-cal area I have 2 available for $20 each. I think the exchange rate was better in the past. This is what they cost me now. Available to meet for pickup.

This mod doesn't really doesn't "let you use the heater without draining the battery" but rather allows you to run the climate control on pre '13 models without the heater coming on. On '13 and on Leafs you can already force the heater to not come on(by pushing the heater button off) so you wouldn't really gain anything.
If trying to save battery power but still get some heat on any Leaf your better off to use the seat and steering wheel heater which uses far less power than the climate control heat. Also on post '12 Leafs(except the base S models) you get the more efficient heat pump heater, which helps in all but the most bitter conditions.

On a 2013 Leaf just push the HEAT button so the light goes out, if you want the heat to be able to come back on simply push the HEAT button again so the LED lights back up. Note pushing the AUTO button may also bring the HEAT back on, pushing HEAT again will turn it off.
The older Leafs(pre '13) this mod was meant for lacked the HEAT button and would bring the heat on anytime the car called for it.

bluepassion said:
well i still can't just get the fans to blow cold without dropping the range

Are you talking real range using leafspy or driving until the car turtles or are you talking about the GuessOMeter (GOM for short)?

Turning on the AC might lower the number on the GOM but it really won't affect range much if the temps outside are above 50F.

Set your inside temp for 60F and the fan speed to 1, 2, 3, or 4 bars and let it run, if you get too cold turn the fan speed down, don't change the temp setting unless you have the heat cut off switch.

Cooling is nearly free on a long trip, cooling costs a bit extra in the first mile or so.

Heating is the one that really drops range.

GOM is worthless.

@TorC

I've ordered one from your website and I've just sent you a PM.

I'm from Portugal.

Thank you for developing this!

Sorry for not replying on several posts here. I have been very busy lately.

sparrow79 said:
@TorC

I've ordered one from your website and I've just sent you a PM.

I'm from Portugal.

Thank you for developing this!

I have recived your order, and is processing the order. It will be sent to Portugal. :)

bluepassion said:
Hi does anyone know if this will work on my 2013 leaf so i can use the heater without draining the battery,
thanks in advance

You have got several very good replies to this to I will not repeat them. To see the actual power consumtion you have to look at at power consumtion screen.

I am going to by very busy for the next couple of months, but will ship out orders within two or three days.

Soon shipping will also start from the US, lowering the shipping cost for US-owners to 1/3.

I also have gotten some very interessting prototypes for resolving the issue with rusting on the top of the front dampers.

I am also negotiating with my supplier for a fix for the poor grounding to the headlights, but as of now the cost is to high, and the problem to little.

I have however had some progress on making a better switch for the heater-harness. And it even has its own circut for backlight. As of now I just need to get the provider to make covers with "ON/OFF" or "Heater". And the switch looks very OEM. It will look very simular to the VSP-switch.

Best regards,

Tor

TorC said:
I have however had some progress on making a better switch for the heater-harness. And it even has its own circut for backlight. As of now I just need to get the provider to make covers with "ON/OFF" or "Heater". And the switch looks very OEM. It will look very simular to the VSP-switch.

Best regards,

Tor

Very cool upgrade, I like it! I received my harness a week or two ago, but have yet to have a chance to install it. Thank you so much for developing a complete solution to this pesky problem!

TorC said:

That would be very cool if it fits into the "heated seats" space/hole/blank. Hope you can offer as a stand-alone item (although the shipping could cost > the switch)!

Back