Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My LG G4 died today (apparently a well known problem) so until the warranty replacement comes in, I've switched back to my LG G2. This used to run LeafSpy Pro just fine. However, after I re-installed it, I can't get it to start. Whenever I open it, I get the "Unfortunately, LeafSpy pro has stopped".

What can I do to debug this? I've made sure this was a fresh install from the play store, and I've also cleared data+cache just in case there was something left over.

jlv said:
My LG G4 died today (apparently a well known problem) so until the warranty replacement comes in, I've switched back to my LG G2. This used to run LeafSpy Pro just fine. However, after I re-installed it, I can't get it to start. Whenever I open it, I get the "Unfortunately, LeafSpy pro has stopped".

What can I do to debug this? I've made sure this was a fresh install from the play store, and I've also cleared data+cache just in case there was something left over.
The problem is that LeafSpy will try to restore the previous settings from the SD directory so if that is bad reinstalling will not fix it.

Go to your SD storage and clear the LEAF_BT_CAN directory or just erase it.

The next release of LeafSpy Pro should better handle this case so the app will not crash if the backup settings data is not right.

analyser said:
- Ah
- SOC
- SOH
- Hx

How are those Leaf Spy metrics related:
- to design capacity (of XX AH),
- to each other,
- to other [energy, kWh] metrics reported by Leaf Spy
- to the 2 levels of charge - 80% and 100% and
- to the lowest allowable threshold (minimum left in the tank - when you are no longer be able to drive)?

Is there any capacity number used as a reference (e.g. 60AH)?

Full Charged Capacity (AH) could be below or above Desing Capacity. That has been captured by Idaho Lab tests in 4 brand new Leafs.

I've got used to terminology utilised by Texas Instruments for "gas gauges" utilised in majority of Li batteries in Laptops and tablets (almost any Laptop make and model nowadays):

- Design Capacity (e.g. 4.4 Ah)
- FCC - Full Charged Capacity. That is discharge capacity of the battery (Ah), i.e., the size of the “tank”
- RM - Remaining Capacity of the battery (Ah), i.e., the amount of “fuel” that is left in the “tank” RM = RSOC*FCC
- RSOC - Remaining State Of Charge (%). Percent full. RSOC = Remaining Capacity/FCC
- ASOC - Absolute State Of Charge (Ah). ASOC = Remaining Capacity/Design Capacity

2014 Leaf Service Manual suggests that VCM captures couple of capacity related metrics reported by LBC (aka BMS) but those are not defined in SM.

Edited on 5 May to expand the question.
AHr is calculated by the Leaf BMS ECU and read by LeafSpy. It is assumed by LeafSpy to be the AHr rating at a nominal pack voltage of 360 but that voltage can be changed on the Settings/Battery panel. It is the full charge capacity.

SOC is read from the Leaf and is the state of charge of the battery. It is the true state of charge. That is, when you charge to 100% as indicated by the later model year Leaf dash gauge the real SOC will only be around 95%. To protect the battery the BMS never lets it charge to a real 100% level. The dash gauge is adjusted to make the consumer happy and so they don't get calls to explain why charging to 100% does not show 100% on the dash.

SOH is read from the Leaf and relates to the battery capacity bars but not exactly. Starts out around 100% and drops as battery capacity drops.

Hx is read from the Leaf and inversely related to the battery internal resistance and starts around 100% for a new pack. As the pack ages and internal resistance increases and the percentage drops.

AHr and SOC are used by LeafSpy to generate the Wh used and remaining values.

I think most of this is in the Help file. Keep in mind that only the Nissan engineers in Japan know the real meaning of these values. Their meaning has been deduced (by others here on the forum) based on how these values change over time.

brycenesbitt said:
Why does Leaf Spy require so many permissions on Android? Read current phone number, look at pictures, and more.
LeafSpy uses libraries which include access to many functions. So even though LeafSpy never calls those functions they are still in the library and cause all those extra permissions to be listed even if never used.

The compiler I use has been updated to allow excluding individual functions in a library. When I have time I can go through and manually exclude those functions that are not needed. But that is a low priority item at the moment.

GuinnessFR said:
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a (probably used) Leaf (2014 or after, made in UK for Europe if I'm not mistaken) and I already have a BT OBD Can device that I use with my Prius.
I tried Leaf Spy lite (won't buy the full version until I actually buy the Leaf) on a demo car in order to get familiar with the application and to later be able to check that the SOH or Ah of the car that I am going to use reflect the number of bars shown on the dash.
However the connection is erratic (the green rectangle keeps flashing and showing retries), I'm suspecting an issue with multiframe but I am not sure if this is fixable or if I should invest in another device.
I was able to read once the nummber of charges and the SOH, but after that it kept failing...

I'm currently using an OBDLink (reports version 1..3 when asking ati) and here is a log:
You can try going into the Settings/Options panel and checking the Enable slow Leaf transfer mode.

But the trace looks more like your OBDII adapter does not support multi-frame responses. I see the first frame but then the NO_Data response back from the adapter. I never see any of the continue frames.

Turbo3 said:
analyser said:
- Ah
- SOC
- SOH
- Hx
AHr is calculated by the Leaf BMS ECU and read by LeafSpy. It is assumed by LeafSpy to be the AHr rating at a nominal pack voltage of 360 but that voltage can be changed on the Settings/Battery panel. It is the full charge capacity.

SOC is read from the Leaf and is the state of charge of the battery. It is the true state of charge. That is, when you charge to 100% as indicated by the later model year Leaf dash gauge the real SOC will only be around 95%. To protect the battery the BMS never lets it charge to a real 100% level. The dash gauge is adjusted to make the consumer happy and so they don't get calls to explain why charging to 100% does not show 100% on the dash.

SOH is read from the Leaf and relates to the battery capacity bars but not exactly. Starts out around 100% and drops as battery capacity drops.

Hx is read from the Leaf and inversely related to the battery internal resistance and starts around 100% for a new pack. As the pack ages and internal resistance increases and the percentage drops.

AHr and SOC are used by LeafSpy to generate the Wh used and remaining values.

I think most of this is in the Help file. Keep in mind that only the Nissan engineers in Japan know the real meaning of these values. Their meaning has been deduced (by others here on the forum) based on how these values change over time.

Jim, Thank you very much.
Some readings from the bench test may be of interest for you:

LBC (BMS) standalone (no VCM connected) reads: AHr = 57.57 and Hx = 86.76% (calc: 57.57 / 86.76% = 66.35AH new capacity, based on the assumptions as above) That BMS is from 2013 wreck with only few kms;
VCM standalone w/o BMS attached (different Leaf, about 12000 kms) reads: Ah, Soh, Hx = 0; SOC = 102% which is somehow related to what you said about 95%, perhaps 0.98? (1/102*100%)

Turbo3 said:
The problem is that LeafSpy will try to restore the previous settings from the SD directory so if that is bad reinstalling will not fix it.

The next release of LeafSpy Pro should better handle this case so the app will not crash if the backup settings data is not right.
I got it to work by restoring 0.36.75 from my backups. But when I let the Play store upgrade it again, it stopped working.
Do I just need to erase the BACKUP directory? I'd rather not nuke the log files, etc.

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:

I got it to work by restoring 0.36.75 from my backups. But when I let the Play store upgrade it again, it stopped working.
Do I just need to erase the BACKUP directory? I'd rather not nuke the log files, etc.
To be safe you can just rename the BACKUP directory to BACKUPx but first uninstall the old version or it will recreate BACKUP with the old files. If you have a file in the SETUP directory that should also be renamed.

Is it possible for Leaf Spy to read the friction brake status: e.g. provide an indicator that friction brakes are currently applied?

Turbo3 said:
jlv said:
Turbo3 said:
I got it to work by restoring 0.36.75 from my backups... Do I just need to erase the BACKUP directory?
To be safe you can just rename the BACKUP directory to BACKUPx but first uninstall the old version or it will recreate BACKUP with the old files. If you have a file in the SETUP directory that should also be renamed.
I'm still not able to get 0.38.xx to work. Now I've got my replacement G4 and have restored it via TitaniumBackup, but it continues to fail "has stopped" immediately.

I've tried renaming BACKUP and SETUP (both of which do get recreated). I tried renaming LEAF_BT_CAN. It still dies.

I just updated to 0.38.84 and it also still has this problem.

I'm surely doing something wrong!

jlv said:
I've got logcat output with a stack trace and some error messages. I'll PM it.
Please don't use PM. Use the support email address of [email protected].

I am turning off PM as it is too hard for me to keep track of people on PM. Always use the email address listed on the About screen.

With PM I get an email alerting me about a message. Then I have to log into the web site, free up space to accept the PM as it is always full. Then finally get to the PM.

Much simpler if you just email me. I see your question right away and can more easily follow the thread and respond.

Thanks for your help so I can provide the best support.

==========

To make it easier I have updated my signature to the email address you should use.

jlv said:
Turbo3 said:
jlv said:
I got it to work by restoring 0.36.75 from my backups... Do I just need to erase the BACKUP directory?
I'm still not able to get 0.38.xx to work. Now I've got my replacement G4 and have restored it via TitaniumBackup, but it continues to fail "has stopped" immediately.

I've tried renaming BACKUP and SETUP (both of which do get recreated). I tried renaming LEAF_BT_CAN. It still dies.

I just updated to 0.38.84 and it also still has this problem.

I'm surely doing something wrong!
The correct procedure to handle this type of problem is to:

1. Uninstall LeafSpy Pro
2. Delete or rename the Backup folder in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder
3. Install LeafSpy Pro

It must be in this exact order to work around the problem.

Turbo3 said:
The correct procedure to handle this type of problem is to:
1. Uninstall LeafSpy Pro
2. Delete or rename the Backup folder in the LEAF_BT_CAN folder
3. Install LeafSpy Pro
It must be in this exact order to work around the problem.
That did the trick. Thank you!

Also, I restore the TB backup with the old BACKUP folder and then upgraded to 0.38.85, and that was able to handle the old BACKUP folder without crashing (and without make me reselect settings). So your update worked well.

(Sorry about the PM!)

Will the LELink work with leafspy 0.34.42 or do I have to upgrade to Pro to use BT4?

My existing OBDII is flaky and I have to unplug it / replug it once or twice a week to keep it working. Would love to be able to avoid that.

dhanson865 said:
Will the LELink work with leafspy 0.34.42 or do I have to upgrade to Pro to use BT4?

My existing OBDII is flaky and I have to unplug it / replug it once or twice a week to keep it working. Would love to be able to avoid that.
No Android version of LeafSpy currently supports Bluetooth 4.x LE and the LELink.

However, I just released for testing the Android version of TM-Spy (used with Tesla Model S) with Bluetooth 4.x LE support. If that goes well I will update the Android versions of LeafSpy with the Bluetooth 4.x LE code.

My Log_CT016156_2139e.csv is 158MB now I'm wondering if it might be the reason my screen 1 has bars that cover the bottom stats (cell voltage bars continue to bottom of the screen no matter what the scale is, covers all the text but doesn't affect any other screen).

It's my trip data from Nov 2015 to May 2016.

Uninstalled, renamed the folder, reinstalled.

Just remembered my phone updated to Marshmallow aka Android 6.x so that's probably why the screen draws differently. I'll email you the screenshot.

I guess it's either time to either kill off the mid price Leafspy and force us to upgrade to Pro or release a patch for the mid priced version. :)

I'm cool either way. I don't mind paying to upgrade.

Back