Lizard Pack Holding Up

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
you are not wrong and we need to understand that small tweaks to the chemistry is not limited to MY releases. It is an ongoing process which would imply that the later the car, the better the battery pack. Now all of this might even qualify as baby steps but the one thing that is sure is that Nissan is not done or even taking short breaks on their better battery quest.

Your battery capacity at 32K miles versus my 2013 (31.5K miles) at about the same delivery time (mine late 11/2013)
has almost an additional 10 Ahr of capacity (mine @ 53 Ahr). Although your production number is about 6K units
later, that's very strange!

oh... I suppose its not a good time to mention my ahr was 64.45 this morning?...
my "build date" was 11/2013. delivery 3 weeks later...

DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
you are not wrong and we need to understand that small tweaks to the chemistry is not limited to MY releases. It is an ongoing process which would imply that the later the car, the better the battery pack. Now all of this might even qualify as baby steps but the one thing that is sure is that Nissan is not done or even taking short breaks on their better battery quest.

Your battery capacity at 32K miles versus my 2013 (31.5K miles) at about the same delivery time (mine late 11/2013)
has almost an additional 10 Ahr of capacity (mine @ 53 Ahr). Although your production number is about 6K units

oh... I suppose its not a good time to mention my ahr was 64.45 this morning?...

Must be some sort of sampling error, right? So you either have to bring your Leaf to SoCal or I need to
drive to WA so we can use the same diagnostic tools. Without that, who knows whether there's a real
difference. Seriously, you need to locate another Leaf owner in WA to corroborate your data!

Bottom Line: Your are one of the very very few that reports this great of a delta for your mileage.
Your battery in some cases has more capacity than a new 2015, which indicates a potential error
somewhere.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:

Must be some sort of sampling error, right? So you either have to bring your Leaf to SoCal or I need to
drive to WA so we can use the same diagnostic tools. Without that, who knows whether there's a real
difference.

Bottom Line: Your are one of the very very few that reports this great of a delta for your mileage!
Your battery in some cases has more capacity than a new 2015, which indicates a potential error
somewhere.

actually I think its a question of unity and shared vision. My electricity is nearly all renewable and it simply recognizes the value of putting extra effort into powering a transportation system that uses renewable electricity. This is the reason (I choose to think) why my LEAF goes a long way on so little while some others do not... ;)

In reality; I have degradation. nowhere nears yours by any means but definitely more than recent readings suggest. But like all LEAFs, the battery stats swell with greater usage. It seems like the more I drive (I drove 193.7 miles on Friday) the higher the stats. If I were to guess what my "real" stats were, I would say its more around 61 ahr or.... halfway to losing my first bar.

obtw; I have over 34,000 miles...

Screenshot_2016-03-20-11-48-38.png

Screenshot_2016-03-20-11-48-24.png

Screenshot_2016-03-20-11-47-52.png

Guess it's down father than I thought, but still much better than the 2011.

lorenfb said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
lorenfb said:

difference. Seriously, you need to locate another Leaf owner in WA to corroborate your data!

Bottom Line: Your are one of the very very few that reports this great of a delta for your mileage.
somewhere.

I agree with you in the sense that Nissan instrumentation and its measurements should not be taken too seriously. Other than using them for reference points (at least they are consistent in their inaccuracies...) but either way your comments told me that a range test was in order. unfortunately, my area does not lend to much wide open driving especially on a Sunday and I did actually have things to do but I did post pix and as always there are a few different ways you can take the data

OHH, I'm halfway theeerrree! Living on a Prayer!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2016/03/2013-batteries-better-unofficial-range.html

turbo2ltr said:
Guess it's down father than I thought, but still much better than the 2011.

Two things, when I get the time or another mod beats me to it we'll have to move these posts to the 2013 battery thread. Just don't want to confuse people about the "lizard pack" terminology and this is a lizard pack specific thread.

The other is your screenshots. seriously old leaf battery check app? I assume that is android? Why not upgrade to leafspy?

Yes, sorry, feel free to move my posts.

Because I haven't used it since that version. And the only reason I used it in the first place is because I left my USBCAN adapter at work so I couldn't use my own CANMon program. I'm kinda over tracking data. I just drive and enjoy it. It's a lease so as long as it satisfies my needs until the end of the lease, I'm happy. At this point, barring catastrophic pack failure, it should do that without an issue.

turbo2ltr said:
Yes, sorry, feel free to move my posts.

Because I haven't used it since that version. And the only reason I used it in the first place is because I left my USBCAN adapter at work so I couldn't use my own CANMon program. I'm kinda over tracking data. I just drive and enjoy it. It's a lease so as long as it satisfies my needs until the end of the lease, I'm happy. At this point, barring catastrophic pack failure, it should do that without an issue.

If you are having better results than normal for Arizona, We want to discover what you may be doing so we can duplicate it to help make our batteries last longer.

Just to add a data point in a climate that is not Arizona, the PNW, or coastal California, I have a 2015S which I'm assuming has a lizard pack. Sorry if this is wordy but I want to try and be thorough. I bought it new just before Thanksgiving 2015. Judging from the manufacture date it had likely sat on the lot for 9+ months before I bought it. I am in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk VA area which is about 150 miles southeast of DC as the crow flies (for folks out west not familiar with the area). We have a similar climate to DC but slightly more moderate due to our proximity to the ocean. All indications from the dealer were that it sat in the sun, fully charged for that time in a non-covered spot on a blacktop parking lot. The daytime highs are above 80 degrees here pretty much June - September.

631291Norfolk.png

When i purchased the car it had been testdriven about 10 times and had 22 miles on it. Leafspy told me the had 98% SOH and ~62ahr. Seemed reasonable compared to what I had read on the forum given that the car had sat for almost a year. Having now driven ~6500 miles, L2 charged about 200 times, and QC'd about 35 times in the last 5 months it now shows 100% SOH and ~63aHr.

I charge to 100% daily during work week using a timer to get super off-peak rates after a ~55 mile round trip commute, and usually do not need to charge on the weekend as we stay close to the house. I use the heat and AC when needed and I keep up with traffic on the interstate which means somewhere between 60 and 75 mph (most of it closer to 60) depending on traffic and if I get in the HOV. I do drive pretty smoothly, coasting a lot and using regen to do a lot of braking before a stop but I am not actively hypermiling or anything like that. My dash display says I average 4.2 miles/kWh.

I usually get home from work with 20% - 30% of my battery capacity remaining on the dash depending on HVAC use, how fast I drive, and ambient temperature. The rare times that I discharge the battery below 10% remaining, I usually get to about 80 miles on that charge. Miles / percentage used is definitely non-linear. I usually drive about 6 miles to go from 100% to 90% in the morning, but recently drove 26 miles (all interstate 55mph) to go from 29% to 5% when I pushed it a bit in order to get to a QC station and went over 90 miles on that charge despite mostly interstate driving.

I don't have gid numbers because I haven't purchased leafspy pro yet but based on SOH and real-world range at this point I am very happy with the battery performance of the car. It is as good, if not better, than expected. We'll see soon how the hot weather + daily use impacts it since it just sat on the lot all last summer this will be it's first summer of regular driving.

ahagge said:
Since the latest posts have been about 2011 Lizard Pack retrofits (and since I live literally blocks from TomT), I'll update my previous post. I have a 2011 SL-e with a Lizard Pack (-E variant), installed in April and surviving one San Fernando Valley summer thus far:

Degradation.png

BTW, here's the actual numbers (about 10,000 miles of driving):
  • GIDs went from 278 to 259
  • AHr went from 66.14 to 59.749
  • SOH went from 100% to 93%
  • Hx went from a high of 102.30 (about a week after the new battery was installed) to 89.47

So as you can see, this new Lizard battery has suffered a 10% capacity (AHr) loss in about 8 months. What's interesting is that as Tom said, the capacity drop is continuing even though colder weather is setting in. I'm not a happy camper... :x

Update: Updated graph showing correct SOH values

As I've now had my battery for just over a year, so here's another update:

Battery%2BDegradation%2B2016-05-05.png

Comments:
With the colder weather of winter and spring, the battery has been holding pretty steady. I'm currently at about 258-260 GIDs, 60.25 AHr, 94% SOH and 90.4 Hx. We'll see what happens during the next 6 months...

ahagge said:
ahagge said:
Since the latest posts have been about 2011 Lizard Pack retrofits (and since I live literally blocks from TomT), I'll update my previous post. I have a 2011 SL-e with a Lizard Pack (-E variant), installed in April and surviving one San Fernando Valley summer thus far:

Degradation.png

BTW, here's the actual numbers (about 10,000 miles of driving):
  • GIDs went from 278 to 259
  • AHr went from 66.14 to 59.749
  • SOH went from 100% to 93%
  • Hx went from a high of 102.30 (about a week after the new battery was installed) to 89.47

So as you can see, this new Lizard battery has suffered a 10% capacity (AHr) loss in about 8 months. What's interesting is that as Tom said, the capacity drop is continuing even though colder weather is setting in. I'm not a happy camper... :x

Update: Updated graph showing correct SOH values

As I've now had my battery for just over a year, so here's another update:

Battery%2BDegradation%2B2016-05-05.png

Comments:
With the colder weather of winter and spring, the battery has been holding pretty steady. I'm currently at about 258-260 GIDs, 60.25 AHr, 94% SOH and 90.4 Hx. We'll see what happens during the next 6 months...

check my post above. these lower readings very well could be more a result of your driving habit than the real condition of the battery.

my stats were lower than yours but a change in driving habits (extreme change I do admit) changed that.

Keep in mind; I only believe about half the change as there is an obvious increase in range, slight though it may be and the battery will drop back down to normal in a day or two when the extreme driving stops.

Did 475 miles from Friday to Sunday night with multiple quick charges, 2-3 per day. Hx jumped from 102 to 108. Ahr hasn't changed since the battery was installed end of March. Haven't quick-charged since the replacement until this time. Just sharing my observation.

Screenshot_2016-05-09-08-53-56.png

I can't get AHr = 66.14 out of my head. That's what I've been "stuck" on (not complaining) since I got my new battery pack, and it seems to me that might be the "max" number a 2011/2012 Leaf is able to read from the BMS.

opencar said:
Is there a Lizard Pack that has dropped the 1st bar? When do we estimate the first Lizard Pack got installed?

I haven't heard of one losing a bar yet. I think the first packs could have been "officially" installed as early as 4/14. My 2015 Leaf has a MFG date of 4/14 and has the lizard battery installed. I think they started selling 2015 cars in 7/14 or so. There are cars out there that have lizards and 2 years of life on the pack (like mine) and I'm nowhere close to losing a bar. I'd be willing to bet that I get to close to 50K miles or so before that happens.

tkdbrusco said:
opencar said:
Is there a Lizard Pack that has dropped the 1st bar? When do we estimate the first Lizard Pack got installed?

I haven't heard of one losing a bar yet. I think the first packs could have been "officially" installed as early as 4/14. My 2015 Leaf has a MFG date of 4/14 and has the lizard battery installed. I think they started selling 2015 cars in 7/14 or so. There are cars out there that have lizards and 2 years of life on the pack (like mine) and I'm nowhere close to losing a bar. I'd be willing to bet that I get to close to 50K miles or so before that happens.
FWIW, I think it's too early to tell on 2015 model year cars. Heck, I didn't notice any 2014 model year Leafs losing a bar or more at http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Loss.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I'm looking at a used 14 with a build date of January 2014. Are we fairly confident that would not have a lizard pack?

Not a lizard unless it had a replacement pack put in after initial build.

Lizard packs annouced here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17168 on Jun 27, 2014 meaning you'd have to have a July 2014 build date to have any reasonable hope of getting one.

You might hope for an outlier if you got a tail end 2014 Model made right at the end of the 2014 MY run but the odds are they put out 2014s with the leftover 2013 packs and started the 2015 MY with the lizard pack when it came out.

Besides the "lizard pack" is only barely better than a 2013 pack which is only barely better than a 2012 pack. It really isn't worth much of any difference in money to me.

The 30 kWh pack is a different story. We can measure it's worth easily.

Back