Hacking the VSP Box (Noise Maker)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to get an opinion on what you all feel I should charge for my hour of labor. Typically I charge 120 an hour, but I would like to give you guys a good deal. Let me know what you would all feel a fair price is for this. I'm not making money off parts, I'll show receipts. Just trying to be of help to anyone in need, but I'm also a busy man so I'd like this project to feel it was worth my time in R&D. My neighbor came to me as he is constantly coming home or leaving at late hours and was worried about waking the neighbors with his Leaf, which is how this project came about. I won't be offended by your answers, but keep in mind what the dealer charges an hour and give me an honest opinion here.

Cheers!

Msportronics said:
I'd like to get an opinion on what you all feel I should charge for my hour of labor. Typically I charge 120 an hour, but I would like to give you guys a good deal. Let me know what you would all feel a fair price is for this. I'm not making money off parts, I'll show receipts. Just trying to be of help to anyone in need, but I'm also a busy man so I'd like this project to feel it was worth my time in R&D. My neighbor came to me as he is constantly coming home or leaving at late hours and was worried about waking the neighbors with his Leaf, which is how this project came about. I won't be offended by your answers, but keep in mind what the dealer charges an hour and give me an honest opinion here.

Cheers!

See PM.

I was very interested in one of these, until I heard your hourly rate. I'm not saying your time isn't worth that much; only that I likely can't afford that much as I only make 1/6 of that. I'd say I'm still mildly interested, but I'd definitely have to budget/save for it.

Yes, I know my hourly rate is high. I am typically designing and building systems with over 200 hours involved for ground up car builds. This project as I mentioned was more of a side project and a way to help people find an easy solution to solve the VSP issue. I don't expect to charge you 120 an hour. I was thinking more around the 60 dollar range, but this is why I wanted some honest opinions from you all. I don't want to set the price, I would like for the group to throw around some affordable numbers that works well for all of you. I'm not a greedy person, so like I said, I won't be offended by any suggestions. Throw out some final price numbers: shipping not included. $80, $100..... don't be afraid!

I have the 2012 with the "Off" button. But when it is on the sound is very minor. We drive it to school, work and only city. I would very like to make it louder when I want. It would be ideal to use a potentiometer instead a button. That way you could turn it off on loud whatever ypu like.

If I can replace my off button with the potentiometer I'm in for it.

jlv said:
I'd be interested in one (although I'd prefer "Jetson's Noise" mod!).

Me too!! But I think that's another hack....

I say $80 + S&H + parts. How would the transaction be handled? Paypal?

Thanks again for doing this in the first place :!:

You could always have two kits: One with the parts and wires, and one assembled. That would eliminate some of the time necessary for building all the harnesses.

For a pre-built kit, I would pay $80-100. For the built-it-yourself kit, I would charge parts + a reasonable markup for your sourcing the parts, maybe $30-50?

I pretty much agree with the previous post. I would easily pay 100-125 for a prebuilt kit. The backup/space vacuum noise annoys me that much. But for a tinkerer who just wants the parts and plans half that at 50-60.

I ordered enough supplies for 25 kits. Some of the order came in today, the rest will be here tomorrow. There are only 17 switches in the US currently and I have ordered all 17. My parts guy is pulling some strings to get us all of them. Once we receive them, he will keep me posted on how long it will take Nissan to restock the US supply. I guess Nissan doesn't like when dealerships corner the market, so we had to break up the orders. Got the price down to 10.50 a switch and they are covering the freight to my place. We should have most if not all of the 17 switches within 5 business days. I'll update more as we progress.

Cheers

0329161417a.jpg

My guy at the dealership has 16 switches ready for us, with 6 more on the way. Nissan has already been trickling in new switches to the US (eight more currently in the US), so it seems as though these will not be the last of them. I have a total of 25 switches coming in and enough connectors and terminals for 25 kits currently. The switches should all be shipping on Friday, so we can finally move forward with this little project. If you would like to reserve a kit, just paypal me the cost of materials and we can do the rest when it is time to ship. PM me for more details.

I would be interested in one of these kits too whenever they're ready.... I will soon be taking delivery of a 2016 SL, and the biggest annoyance even on the test drive was the VSP

Hello everyone, I suppose it is time for an update. I have been quite busy in the last few weeks. Just signed on a new lease and have been moving/setting up the office. I'm about a week out before I can start hammering these kits through. I'll be sweeping through all of them at the same time for manufacturing purposes. Hang in there! We will defeat the VSP together!

Cheers

Back