Hacking the VSP Box (Noise Maker)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an easy and reliable source for the VSP off switch that fits the newer 12' and up Leaf. I have tested the switch itself and have everything working. Waiting on some Sumitomo terminals and connector to finalize the design. More info soon.

Look forward to an update Msportronics! While most of the time I'm fine with the VSP, sometimes I really want to shut it off -- like backing out of my driveway at 2am.

ltbighorn said:
Look forward to an update Msportronics! While most of the time I'm fine with the VSP, sometimes I really want to shut it off -- like backing out of my driveway at 2am.
That's what Neutral is for :D

I hooked up a temporary switch to momentarily ground pin 5 on the VSP on my 2013. Thank you all for this info - I like being quiet early in the morning when I leave for work. I would really like to get a hold of that switch in the picture.

knightmb said:
ltbighorn said:

Believe me, I've been tempted. The street is a little too tight and the drive not quite sloped enough to make that a "safe" maneuver, but boy have I been tempted.

ltbighorn said:
knightmb said:
ltbighorn said:

Believe me, I've been tempted. The street is a little too tight and the drive not quite sloped enough to make that a "safe" maneuver, but boy have I been tempted.
That's how I sneak away from my wife :mrgreen: Otherwise the Reverse "ding" alerts the whole family that I am trying to escape.

knightmb said:
That's how I sneak away from my wife :mrgreen: Otherwise the Reverse "ding" alerts the whole family that I am trying to escape.

Well played. The garage door unfortunately ruins my chances of that. It'd be nice to escape without the entire neighborhood knowing though. :D

Sorry for the delayed update, I have been pretty busy at work. My neighbor had contacted me about turning the VSP off, which is how I found my way into this project. I have a reliable source for the factory Nissan switch at a cost around $20 with shipping. I am looking for a closer source to possibly drop that price in half. I have tested the switch and it works perfectly. I have a few sources for the connector and terminals, but I am attempting to find a local source that doesn't require a large minimum order. The pin allocation for the switch is as follows:

PIN #
1 Blank
2 VSP Indicator Light (Trigger from VSP Control Unit)
3 Ignition +12V Supply
4 Illumination Ground
5 Illumination +12V Supply
6 Ground
7 Switch Output (Trigger to VSP Control Unit)
8 Blank

I will try to get everything setup this week and hope for a shipment to arrive by early next week. I'll write up an install procedure and make a how-to video. Thank you for your patience.

Good news, I have found a local supplier for the connectors and terminals that require no minimum order. Prices are reasonable and they have plenty of stock. I should have some time over the weekend to build the prototype harness and post results next week.

0210161113.jpg

Could this easily be done with a leased Leaf? In other words would it be easy to return to stock when it's time to turn the car in at the end of the lease? If so I'd definitely be interested. I feel like a big dork with that back up beep!!

Yes, you won't have to wire in a single thing. Just unplug a few connectors and plug in the adapter harness. When you take your car in for service, or turn it in for your end of lease, simply unplug the adapter harness and connect the factory connectors back in to their original location.

Got some time yesterday to get around to the prototype. Flawless results and a clean install. For those with the right knowledge and tools, I will gladly give out the design to build yourself. For those that just want to plug in and be done, let me know if you are interested and I'll do the math to see how cheap I can sell them for. I don't really care about making money on parts, so they will be billed at cost. The final revision will come with heat shrink, strain relief, and for a little extra I'll even label them. I will of course make an install video before shipping out the product and will be accessible to everyone publicly. Below the prototype is an example of the products I build and what to expect.

Cheers

0303160058a.jpg

0303160235a.jpg

0303160235.jpg

0303160235b.jpg

0303160235c.jpg

12357392_184790805198704_290961341_n1.jpg

12353931_1118879991485482_875260662_n1.jpg

I have a 2012, and in the absence of a "Jetson's Noise" mod, I would love one of these.
Let me know.
I'm in.

P.S. - Any way to select default "ON" or "default "OFF"?
Maybe by switching a couple wires during the build?

Impressive work! Do you all think this could introduce liability issues... say if someone gets hit by you and they claim they didn't hear you?

KillaWhat said:
I have a 2012, and in the absence of a "Jetson's Noise" mod, I would love one of these.
Let me know.
I'm in.

P.S. - Any way to select default "ON" or "default "OFF"?

Whenever you cycle the power button, the factory VSP unit's default setting is VSP sound active. In my opinion, I think it is best to leave the factory default VSP sound to the active setting for safety reasons. From a liability standpoint, this button should only be used for off road use and with supervision of a spotter. :)

Hi,

I would love to pick one of these up. But I'm not very good with a DIY build. Let me know what the cost is and I would pick one up.

Thanks and great work.

KillaWhat said:
... Any way to select default "ON" or "default "OFF"?
See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3296&hilit=vsp#p77995.

Back