2013 Nissan LEAF with a Spare tire and no Trunk space lost!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#SpareTire is still in it's Void at least I think it's still under there, I've never used it yet. (knock on wood)

I still like the Setup.

#Lasareath

#UBUYGAS

#NissanLEAF

lion said:
This is awesome, nice job!

I'll have to watch this thread, and see if you still like this setup in a few months.

I am going to find out. I have a hitch and I Have a donut from an altima or whatever. I have a feeling i twill fit fine jsut without the belly pan. I may make a new one to protect the tire from "debris" hitting it.

in the next week or so I will give it a shot installing it see if it fits well enough to do.

David,

The best trailer hitch I found for the LEAF will block my flap for the spare tire.

But you may be able to mod your flap so it fits.

Best bet is to buy the trailer hitch first and install it, or ask the trailer hitch people to provide a measurement from their bracket to the rear axle.

This is the company I found: http://www.torkliftcentral.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here is their PDF to install it: http://www.UBUYGAS.com/x7221_x7222_2013_Nissan_Leaf.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vwDavid said:
I really want to mount the spare up there AND a trailer hitch for bikes. does anyone know what the main impediments to this are? Anyone tried it?

This is the section where I think you'll have an issue, their bracket takes up this area, my flap is right there.
over_my_flap.jpg

Looking to buy an altima spare donut, however, this e-bay listing states it is take out of a 2013 altima but list compatibility 2002 to 2012. Wil that work on a leaf?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-NISSAN-ALTIMA-SPARE-TIRE-WHEEL-DONUT-135-90-16-/271944726332?hash=item3f512b373c&vxp=mtr
-David

Just, wow. I'll be doing this SOON. I get more flats than anyone I know. On our last vacation we got a bad tear in a sidewall. In the rain, I had the tire changed and we were back on the road in just over five minutes. Doing it often makes one fast!

I figured this would be the best thread to post this up.

I noticed in the shop the other day a versa note up on the lift and it had the spare tire hanger under the rear. It's ridiculously expensive but I wonder if it could be adapted to the LEAF with little modification. May be a good option if someone can find one at the junkyard or on ebay on the cheap.
I do wholesale to body shops in the surrounding states so I've gotta come across one at some point hopefully. If I come across one I'm going to see what it would take to install it and I'll post my findings so it is on record for future inquiries. (unless someone has already done this and I missed the thread)

http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/?action=replacement&groupid=J&sectionid=570&jointvehid=18974&siteid=14
Part#: E7210-3WCMA
Retail Cost: $512.81

570A01.jpg

Nissan used a very similar apparatus with the LEAFs they sold in Australia. In Australia the spare tire is mandatory by law.

SLCSlugger said:
I figured this would be the best thread to post this up.

I noticed in the shop the other day a versa note up on the lift and it had the spare tire hanger under the rear. It's ridiculously expensive but I wonder if it could be adapted to the LEAF with little modification. May be a good option if someone can find one at the junkyard or on ebay on the cheap.
I do wholesale to body shops in the surrounding states so I've gotta come across one at some point hopefully. If I come across one I'm going to see what it would take to install it and I'll post my findings so it is on record for future inquiries. (unless someone has already done this and I missed the thread)

http://parts.nissanusa.com/nissanparts/?action=replacement&groupid=J&sectionid=570&jointvehid=18974&siteid=14
Part#: E7210-3WCMA
Retail Cost: $512.81

570A01.jpg

There's a mathematical formula on page 4 that shows you how to calculate the spare based on your current full sized tires.

What you need all depends on what tires you currently have. Do you have 16" wheels or 17"?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

205/55/R16 - The Ecopia's have a diameter of 24.87"

Tony Williams Spare is T125/90D16 = 24.85"

The Spare Tony Williams talks about is clearly made for the Ecopia's

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

215/50/R17 - The 17" Michelin's have a diameter of 25.46"

The spare I just bought is for a 2010 to 2012 Altima, it is T135/90/R16 which = 25.56"

Here's the calculator I used:

http://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart_diameter/

That above link is dead. Maybe this will work. Sorry can't test it now.

http://m.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.do

vwDavid said:
Looking to buy an altima spare donut, however, this e-bay listing states it is take out of a 2013 altima but list compatibility 2002 to 2012. Wil that work on a leaf?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-NISSAN-ALTIMA-SPARE-TIRE-WHEEL-DONUT-135-90-16-/271944726332?hash=item3f512b373c&vxp=mtr
-David

Lasareath said:
Nissan used a very similar apparatus with the LEAFs they sold in Australia. In Australia the spare tire is mandatory by law.

not strictly mandatory, it's just seen as very important in the market because we are a backwards thinking lot. given the choice I would probably prefer the diffuser which they didn't fit in Oz because the spare is there.

I like the solution in this thread....simple and keeps the diffuser too.

Well I'm stuck on the side of the road again! :(

I was all ready to drop the trap door on my diffuser and get the spare tire but the pot hole I hit blew out both left tires!!!

At least this time roadside assistance estimates they'll be here in an hour.

Does anybody know if the AutoKnight Tire & Rim protection works at all dealers or just the one where I bought the LEAF?

Lasareath said:
Well I'm stuck on the side of the road again! :(

I was all ready to drop the trap door on my diffuser and get the spare tire but the pot hole I hit blew out both left tires!!!

At least this time roadside assistance estimates they'll be here in an hour.

Does anybody know if the AutoKnight Tire & Rim protection works at all dealers or just the one where I bought the LEAF?

Damn Brah,
I thought the roads were bad in hawaii....

Just received a call from the dealer. Wheels are fine.

Inside of right wheels must have scrapped whatever I hit because they were slashed!!!

Tire insurance will only cover 80%.

Need a wheel alignment.

Getting 4 Brand new Michelin Tires! :D for $255 installed with tax. That includes $129.00 wheel alignment.

Bearings are fine they claim.

The AutoKnight Wheel & Tire Insurance cost me $700 when I bought the LEAF.

This will be the 2nd claim I made.

1st claim was just one tire with a final cost of $263

$263 X 5 = $1315

Last time I paid nothing.

This time $255

So I've gotten back $1060 In tires so far.

Still have 26 months left on coverage. Sounds like a Great investment.

#UBUYGAS

Attachments

• Blown_Tire001.jpg
    Blown_Tire001.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Blown_Tire002.jpg
    Blown_Tire002.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 154
  • New_Tires001.jpg
    New_Tires001.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 154
Duncan said:
Lasareath said:
not strictly mandatory, it's just seen as very important in the market because we are a backwards thinking lot. given the choice I would probably prefer the diffuser which they didn't fit in Oz because the spare is there.

I like the solution in this thread....simple and keeps the diffuser too.
We also have some of the 2012 models from Australia here in New Zealand with the spare but no diffuser. I have a 2014 model and did the mod (many thanks for the guide) with diffuser installed (the stainless piano hinge was the biggest expense but worth it).

For those with 2012 models without the diffuser, are there any estimates on whether any noticeable difference in energy consumption at higher speeds (e.g. 100 kph) ? The rear bumper looks like a big scoop without the diffuser but maybe the difference in range is minimal. Any thoughts welcomed.

Lasareath said:
The pouches just came in. The jack, both tire irons, tow hook and hex security Allen key all fit very nicely.

I wonder if I should include anything else?

nissan_leaf_spare_tire20_sm.jpg

nissan_leaf_spare_tire21_sm.jpg

nissan_leaf_spare_tire22_sm.jpg

Can you provide info on the tow hook / eye bolt ? Thread size & thread pitch ? Vendor ?

I took the 4-way lug wrench out of a car we no longer drive & put it in the Leaf . Need to see if the Chevy scissor jack will work also .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

I found the tow hook / eye bolt in a little pouch behind the air pump & slime .

I previously mentioned the 4 - way from our old 1996 Chevy Lumina , one of the 4 ends fit the Leaf lug nuts . The scissor jack from that car works also . The lug wrench does not , but with the 4 - way , probably do not need a lug wrench . No hub cap to remove with the alloy wheels .

The jack fits in the bracket in the car , but the bracket is way too wide . Right now I have it tied down with a bungee strap .

Thanks for the help . :)

God bless
Wyr

Back