Nissan Dealership Charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironmanco

I assume that charging at a Nissan dealership is really just a bonus and there is no requirement for the dealership to provide this? I ask, because our local Nissan dealership has decided to "throttle" it's DC charging station in order to avoid hitting the higher demand rate structure with the local energy company.

-Andrew

Correct.

Nissan provided some incentive for dealers to install charging stations, but I don't believe there's any requirement to make them available to the public. Some dealers allow public charging. Some dealers refuse to allow charging except to people who bought a Leaf from them, and then only during business hours.

For longer trips, this means that you can't rely on being able to access dealer chargers unless you call & ask beforehand. It's a terrible way to build out a charging network.

At Campbell-Nelson Nissan in Seattle I ran into a 15 minute limit on charging. I've noticed when passing through the Olympia - Everett area on I-5 there are a lot of locals using the dealer DCQC's. That makes it pretty hard sometimes if you are anxious to get to British Columbian or Vancouver, WA before night fall.

garsh said:
Correct.

Nissan provided some incentive for dealers to install charging stations, but I don't believe there's any requirement to make them available to the public. .

One of the employees at one of the dealerships here in this area said that Nissan paid half the cost of the DCQC, including installation- about $50,000 I think.

There are 4 Nissan dealerships in this area and I've charged at 3 of them. I've always had good luck- 3 of them have DCQC stations, including the one near my house. I've used it a few times when my daily driving has exceeded my charge-comfort-level. I also sent a message to them letting them know that I appreciated them providing it for free for the EV community and that it was a big help for me.

Unfortunately the dealerships here all have gates & the stations are only accessible during business hours. That's a minor inconvenience for me, as there are many L2 chargers around that I can use as an alternative, if necessary.

Back