sub3marathonman
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2012

Re: Pls clarify the "garage" jack points for Leaf -

mxp wrote:
Incidently, the cost of purchasing both jacks needed for D-I-Y cost more than paying for the service.
Just today I rotated the tires on the LEAF using two Prius jacks, lifting at the correct points on the same side of course. At 3375 lbs, so half is 1688 lbs supported on two Prius jacks, which are rated for 800 kg each, so even just one jack would still be within the safety margin, although not by a huge amount.

I have two Prius jacks because we have one Prius and my mom has a Prius too. And Prius jacks should be pretty cheap to find if somebody was looking for them, I doubt if I would pay more than $5 or $10 each from a junk yard.

And, as aqn stated, it is a good idea to leave the doors and hatchback shut while the car is on jacks. With a sedan it probably isn't as critical as if it was a convertible, but it is always better to be safe. Also, slamming the door shut while up on jacks could be a problem.
GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

Whenever I rotate my tires, I like to get all four wheels off the ground so I can do it in one shot (front goes straight back, rear cross and goes forward). I use a hydraulic jack and four jack stands. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to jack up the car and then get the stand underneath it. It seems like there is only one small reinforced point in each corner. Am I missing something? Or is this car just not capable of being jacked up and placed on stands?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package) - sold
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

GetOffYourGas wrote:Whenever I rotate my tires, I like to get all four wheels off the ground so I can do it in one shot (front goes straight back, rear cross and goes forward). I use a hydraulic jack and four jack stands. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to jack up the car and then get the stand underneath it. It seems like there is only one small reinforced point in each corner. Am I missing something? Or is this car just not capable of being jacked up and placed on stands?
If I need to get two or four wheels off the ground and supported, I usually use the suspension pick up points. For a front MacPherson strut suspension as on the LEAF, I place stands under the A arms, towards the inboard end, at the white arrows in this pic. I usually don't put the stands under the outboard end because the wheel is in the way until I remove it, and because the strut's spring pushing the outboard end down and the wheel's weight would make the outboard end droop too far to fit a stand under it.

For rear torsion beam suspension, also as on the LEAF, I place the stands under crosswise beam, where it meets the trailing arms, at the left side in this pic.

FWIW, I have never bothered with swapping sides when rotating tires. I always just swap front & rear on the same side. I jack the car up (at the front jack point) high enough to get both wheels on one side off the ground at once.
Anna Nguyen
GetOffYourGas
Delivery Date: 09 Mar 2012

aqn wrote:
GetOffYourGas wrote:Whenever I rotate my tires, I like to get all four wheels off the ground so I can do it in one shot (front goes straight back, rear cross and goes forward). I use a hydraulic jack and four jack stands. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to jack up the car and then get the stand underneath it. It seems like there is only one small reinforced point in each corner. Am I missing something? Or is this car just not capable of being jacked up and placed on stands?
If I need to get two or four wheels off the ground and supported, I usually use the suspension pick up points. For a front MacPherson strut suspension as on the LEAF, I place stands under the A arms, towards the inboard end, at the white arrows in this pic. I usually don't put the stands under the outboard end because the wheel is in the way until I remove it, and because the strut's spring pushing the outboard end down and the wheel's weight would make the outboard end droop too far to fit a stand under it.

For rear torsion beam suspension, also as on the LEAF, I place the stands under crosswise beam, where it meets the trailing arms, at the left side in this pic.

FWIW, I have never bothered with swapping sides when rotating tires. I always just swap front & rear on the same side. I jack the car up (at the front jack point) high enough to get both wheels on one side off the ground at once.
Awesome! Thanks for the advice and the pics.

I know it's easier to just swap front-to-back, but it's generally recommended that you cross them as well. Is this recommendation simply outdated? Or is the benefit just really small compared to back-to-front?
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package) - sold
2017 Bolt Premier
2021 Mini Cooper SE Signature+
aqn
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 1333

GetOffYourGas wrote:I know it's easier to just swap front-to-back, but it's generally recommended that you cross them as well. Is this recommendation simply outdated? Or is the benefit just really small compared to back-to-front?
I have no idea! :) I've always just done it front-to-back because it's easier than also doing side-to-side. AFAICT, most of the wear is on the front tires so I figure front-to-back is sufficient to even out the wear.
Anna Nguyen
harrier

It has been on the blocks all week, and I have shaken the car to try to induce a fault.
harrier

If you are interested, my jack blocks:

The tabs that stick out on the bottom are to accommodate a floor jack with a disk on the top.

You can jack the entire rear end of the Leaf using a floor jack beneath the rear suspension beam, then put jack stands at the jack points. My car has been on these for two weeks while I wait interminably for parts from Nissan.
RPaulThomas
Delivery Date: 05 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 316353

GerryAZ wrote:For those looking to jack up their Leaf, I suggest getting hockey pucks and cutting slots in them. I used 4 hockey pucks with slots cut in them to lift my Leaf on a hoist using the jacking points. For the best fit, the slots are different widths between the front and rear (I am traveling and cannot remember which are wider). I keep one set with the hoist and I am planning to make another set to carry in the car to use with a floor jack or to offer to a tire shop.

Gerry
Hi Gerry,

I have heard of the hockey puck adapter version as well. Could you supply the dimensions of the slots you cut?

Thanks, Paul
GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

RPaulThomas wrote:
GerryAZ wrote:For those looking to jack up their Leaf, I suggest getting hockey pucks and cutting slots in them. I used 4 hockey pucks with slots cut in them to lift my Leaf on a hoist using the jacking points. For the best fit, the slots are different widths between the front and rear (I am traveling and cannot remember which are wider). I keep one set with the hoist and I am planning to make another set to carry in the car to use with a floor jack or to offer to a tire shop.

Gerry
Hi Gerry,

I have heard of the hockey puck adapter version as well. Could you supply the dimensions of the slots you cut?

Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul,

I am not going to publish dimensions because they are different front/back and not the same for different years. I made my sets to fit perfectly on the 2011 and they work on the 2015, but the slots are not the correct widths or depths. Therefore, I suggest you measure your car and cut the slots accordingly. I used a router table to cut the slots.
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL Plus purchased 8/10/2019

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”