Hawaii Leafs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingwindwardnissan said:
man......when are they going to release the RAQ for Hawaii? Anyone know?

There are still some people (could be many) that haven't ordered from their Sept. ordering dates because of the delay with ECOtality. Nissan said their would be no October ordering emails until all the Sept. people have had a chance to order. If it is like the Sept. ordering, I'm going to guess it will be toward the end of Oct. before anyone in Oct. will be able to order.

Ok, placed my order. I am a bit peeved at Nissan for making Level III charging capability a $700 option but I opted for it because I think in the long run the re-sale value will be higher with this option in place. I went with Windward Nissan since they are near my house. It seems every dealer on the island is giving MSRP plus Destination ($820) for a price. I could have gone with a California Dealer for less, even with shipping it to Hawaii, but it wasn't a big enough savings to be worth the extra hassle and it might have delayed me getting it.

My experience with AeroVironment so far leads me to the conclusion that they are complete clowns. They quoted my $4,000 to install the level II charger. This was based on upgrading the house from 100 amps to 125 amps on the theory that with my oven, all the burners on the stove, the dryer, the hot water heater, the microwave, and a whole bunch of other things on at the same time I would be using the level II charger I could exceed 100 amps. This is crazy because it will never happen, and even if it did, it would just mean turning something off and resetting the master breaker which is no big deal. They even assumed 30 amps for the hot water heater but I've never had it on (it is solar, and I've never used the electric backup, ever) which I told the assessor. I asked them over a month ago for a new quote without the upgrade but they have yet to provide one. I'm looking at other options to getting a level II charger and will let you know if I find someone who will give me a price. In the mean time my advice is don't waste your $100 with AeroVironmental. I wish I could get my $100 back. I think they are using their Nissan connection to bilk customers who don't know any better. In any case, level I should be adequate for my needs if I can't get a level II before I take delivery on the Leaf since it will be a rare day that I put more than 30 miles on the car.

See http://www.kaleo.org/news/resistance-to-electric-cars-shocks-one-professor-1.2359399. There is no question under Act 290 that UH and ALL state and county agencies must provide free parking to electric vehicles but that doesn't stop them from trying to weasel out of it. I am quite sure UH will be forced to follow the law and hopefully this will happen before I get my Leaf. Next, I take on the Airport, Blaisdell Center, Aloha stadium, and the Convention Center, all of which are also required to provide free parking under Act 290 but don't seem to be doing it. BTW, the free parking alone will save me as much as the fuel savings. Act 290 has no expiration date for the free parking but we will want to keep an eye on the Legislature to make sure they don't repeal it.

akohekohe said:
My experience with AeroVironment so far leads me to the conclusion that they are complete clowns. They quoted my $4,000 to install the level II charger. This was based on upgrading the house from 100 amps to 125 amps on the theory that with my oven, all the burners on the stove, the dryer, the hot water heater, the microwave, and a whole bunch of other things on at the same time I would be using the level II charger I could exceed 100 amps. This is crazy because it will never happen, and even if it did, it would just mean turning something off and resetting the master breaker which is no big deal. They even assumed 30 amps for the hot water heater but I've never had it on (it is solar, and I've never used the electric backup, ever) which I told the assessor. I asked them over a month ago for a new quote without the upgrade but they have yet to provide one. I'm looking at other options to getting a level II charger and will let you know if I find someone who will give me a price. In the mean time my advice is don't waste your $100 with AeroVironmental. I wish I could get my $100 back. I think they are using their Nissan connection to bilk customers who don't know any better. In any case, level I should be adequate for my needs if I can't get a level II before I take delivery on the Leaf since it will be a rare day that I put more than 30 miles on the car.

Well, AeroVironment finally revised my quote and it came in just over $2,200. Seems I finally got someone there who had some authority but I might add I had to really let them know how aggravated I was with them, stand my ground and be assertive. I really dislike having to be in people's face to get something accomplished but that is what I had to do. Once I got this straightened out there was only one date available for me to have the installation which fortunately was a day I could be home when they come to do the install. I hope they are able to do the install when they say so I can get the $1,000 federal tax credit this year. Who knows if the new congress will renew it.

kingwindwardnissan said:
The crappy thing is that Nissan is now restricting each dealer to a certain # of units allowed. Sucks because once we reach our quota, we cannot sell anymore. And they based the number on a volume basis.

So, how many does that give for the total allocation on Oahu and for the state?

If you are thinking of waiting for an electric Ford Focus in Hawaii you may have to wait until at least 2012:

In late 2011, customers in the following market will be eligible to purchase Ford's first electric vehicle: Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Houston; Boston; Chicago; Denver; Detroit; Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego; New York, Orlando, Fla.; Phoenix; Tucson, Ariz.; Portland, Ore.; Raleigh Durham, N.C.; Richmond, Va.; Seattle; and Washington, D.C.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-11-ford-cities-focus-electric.html Not sure why they didn't include Honolulu in the roll-out but we are often an after thought it seems.

Article in today's Star Advertiser

I'm not sure what Mr. Preble is talking about when he says "the electrical contractor, who is installing a charging station at his home, won't do the job until he commits to buying the car. But Preble said he first wants to know when he'll be getting the car." The only thing I can figure is he hasn't ordered the car yet. I can't see any downside to ordering the car since it does not require any additional deposit (I don't even think you lose your $99 if you cancel the order) so why doesn't he just order the car?

The "my account" page now says "month of February" for the estimated delivery! I wonder who will get the first LEAF on O'ahu? Anybody have an exact date yet?

akohekohe said:
The "my account" page now says "month of February" for the estimated delivery! I wonder who will get the first LEAF on O'ahu? Anybody have an exact date yet?

Would be interested to know your order date....

Kataphn said:
akohekohe said:

October 28.

I would love to move back to Oahu. With my LEAF. Been away to long :( Do they still get pissed if you try to bring your car over from the Mainland???

akohekohe said:
Kataphn said:
akohekohe said:

October 28.

How were you able to order on Oct 28th... I registered on April 21st day after website launch and did all that was requested as soon as it was requested. I also inquired as to when Hawaii residents were going to be able to order and I was given the date of Nov 24th, I place my order on that day. I still I do not have a date as to when my arrives at the dealer. I am hoping for a March date if your vehicle comes in February.

I already installed my charging system so as to take advantage of the tax credit (expires on December 31st). Just turned off my breaker in the meantime in anticipation.

As to your original question... I am only guessing, but I would be willing to guess former Gov Linda Lingle. Rumor has it she ordered one.

akohekohe said:
Well I got the AV EVSE installed today and I filed for my $500 rebate from the state of Hawaii.

For anyone else who has installed the charger from AV... you can fill out the rebate form and send it in right away. I am a little concerned that the permit no. listed is really an Building permit application number and not an actual permit no. don't know how this will ultimately affect the rebate.

You can download the rebate application here: http://hawaii.gov/dbedt/info/energy/evrebatesgrants/rebates

Back