2016 LEAF Specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to pick Verizon out of those two...

JPWhite said:
Here's a question. If Nissan did provide an Android head unit, who would be the first upgrade their device to Marshmallow, Verizon or Nissan? Neither is a valid response :-(

GoldenDragon said:
TonyWilliams said:
Is the Kia Soul EV available in Ireland? It has almost an identical range at 62mph (100km/h), about 107 miles (171km).

Soul EV is available in Ireland according to a google search. I know they've had trouble meeting demand for the car with many people complaining about paying a reservation fee and then waiting 6-11 months. Hopefully that time is over... US EPA rates Soul EV at 93 miles while the 2016 Leaf gets 107 miles from EPA. Even if the Soul has slightly more usable battery, it must be heavier and/or less aerodynamic.

No it's not. Went to ask to a Kia dealer a few months back and confirmed that they wouldn't have it. Nothing either on http://www.kia.ie
95% of Irish EVs must be Leaf at this stage. Too small market for many manufacturers to launch a niche vehicle.

TomT said:
PC Mag was not that impressed by Nissan Connect... Other reviews that I have seen have given it 2-3 out of 5 stars on average...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2488968,00.asp

Alex Dykes (Alex on Autos) said it was one of his favorite (non-Android/Apple) infotainment systems. PCMagazine seems to suggest there's only one app, but Nissan's site shows several, depending on which flavor of NissanConnect you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPE75tGHyoA

http://www.nissanusa.com/connect/package-specs

DanCar said:
Well said. My experiences are the same. I'm amazed of people desiring a good car navigation system for thousands when a $200 phone will do a much better job.

Don't you mean a $200 phone plus $600/year for cell phone data to actually get navigation directions?

I bought a $250 7" Garmin GPS to avoid that cell phone data expense. It's got decent voice recognition, lifetime map updates, and lifetime realtime traffic updates. Why they can't put something like that in the car, I don't know.

EDIT: Although I now see that Google will support offline map navigation soon (or already?). Which is great if you pre-download the info for where you'll be traveling. In a car nav system I'm not sure how that would work... maybe connect to your home wifi if the signal is good enough. Still no real-time traffic, of course.

GoldenDragon said:
DanCar said:
Well said. My experiences are the same. I'm amazed of people desiring a good car navigation system for thousands when a $200 phone will do a much better job.

Don't you mean a $200 phone plus $600/year for cell phone data to actually get navigation directions?

I bought a $250 7" Garmin GPS to avoid that cell phone data expense. It's got decent voice recognition, lifetime map updates, and lifetime realtime traffic updates. Why they can't put something like that in the car, I don't know.

EDIT: Although I now see that Google will support offline map navigation soon (or already?). Which is great if you pre-download the info for where you'll be traveling. In a car nav system I'm not sure how that would work... maybe connect to your home wifi if the signal is good enough. Still no real-time traffic, of course.
There are many map/gps programs that can store the maps data on the device, so after the initial download, it doesn't need data, unless you want to update the maps, or maybe if you travel to another country/region.

GoldenDragon said:
DanCar said:
How much do you pay for your phone service? Does maps add to that cost? There are plenty of low cost cell phone services.
Check out project Fi for example. https://fi.google.com/about/plan/ Expect new phones that work with fi in about a month. Another one I like is pageplus. Both of these cost $30 per month and have excellent coverage.

Offline maps works on my phone.

GoldenDragon said:
DanCar said:

Republic wireless 1GB data per month $25 x12 = $300 (currently Sprint based MVNO, only Motorola phones, expensive for high data users)
Boost mobile 2GB data per month $30 x12 = $360 (Sprint Based MVNO, good phone selection, cheaper up front prices)
MetroPCS 1GB data per month $30 x12 = $360 (Tmobile based MVNO, good phone selection, more up front prices, nice data throttling policy)
Cricket 2.5GB data per month $35 x12 = $420 (AT&T bases MVNO, good phone selection, horrible data throttling policy)

Definitely many options for less than $600 a year for cell phone data and then if you get any use for the phone other than mapping/GPS use you can't assign all of that cost to the mapping/GPS functions. Or at least I don't think that is a fair assessment of cost to value.

RegGuheert said:
This is true even though the new battery is 7% heavier than the old one.
I wanted to correct this statement since I was really comparing the MY2016 30-kWh LEAF battery with the MY2011 24-kWh LEAF battery. In fact, the MY2016 30-kWh battery weighs 46 pounds more than the MY2016 24-kWh battery. But if the MY2016 24-kWh is the same weight as the MY2013 battery, then it weighs 66 pounds LESS than the battery which came in the original 2011 LEAF. The overall result is that the MY2016 30-kWh battery should weigh 20 pounds less than the original 24-kWh LEAF battery.

Bottom line for changes to the LEAF battery between MY2011 and MY2016 (SV and SL only):

- Capacity INCREASED by 25%
- Weight DECREASED by 3%
- Capacity warranty IMPROVED by 60% in terms of time and 67% in terms of miles

RegGuheert said:
Bottom line for changes to the LEAF battery between MY2011 and MY2016 (SV and SL only):

- Capacity INCREASED by 25%
- Weight DECREASED by 3%
- Capacity warranty IMPROVED by 60% in terms of time and 67% in terms of miles

Thanks for stating this I had wondered about that myself, glad you did the digging.

At danger of being a PITA I'd like to be pedantic and point out that the capacity warranty improvement is infinite, since the 2011 LEAF came without any capacity warranty, and 11/12 buyers signed a legal disclaimer stating we understood that.

JPWhite said:
At danger of being a PITA I'd like to be pedantic and point out that the capacity warranty improvement is infinite, since the 2011 LEAF came without any capacity warranty, and 11/12 buyers signed a legal disclaimer stating we understood that.
It's true. I almost stated that, but I decided to give Nissan credit for the fact that they did ultimately warranty capacity on the MY2011/2012 LEAFs. In fact, it really wasn't until MY2015 that they had a battery that was appropriate for that capacity warranty (and that is an assumption on my part since we don't yet have enough data on the MY2015s).

Freedom pop. 500mb a month for NOTHING. if you predownload map data so your not using data for "the maps themselves"

the actual data used for navigation is quite low. you can easily not exceed 500mb a month.

now your yearly cost is "zero"

a 7" galaxy tab 3 fits nicely over top of the virtually useless nissan head unit.

I wanted "more" so I pay $30 a month ($360 a year) and have a nice Note 10" tablet.

nerys said:
Freedom pop. 500mb a month for NOTHING. if you predownload map data so your not using data for "the maps themselves"

the actual data used for navigation is quite low. you can easily not exceed 500mb a month.

now your yearly cost is "zero"

a 7" galaxy tab 3 fits nicely over top of the virtually useless nissan head unit.

I wanted "more" so I pay $30 a month ($360 a year) and have a nice Note 10" tablet.

How do you mount the tablet in place?

New Nissan Leaf – longer driving range and Forward Emergency Braking as standard

...At this year's Tokyo show, Nissan will exhibit a new grade offering a single-charge driving range up to 280 km (Nissan internal measurements based on Japanese driving conditions) and advanced safety technology—standardized across all grades for the Japan market—including Forward Emergency Braking, which is designed to help drivers avoid or mitigate the impact of frontal collisions, and Lane Departure Warning. Nissan plans to announce the latest Nissan Leaf grades for Japan in November and begin sales in December...
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2015/_STORY/151005-01-e.html?rss

I wonder if these will be standard upgrades on all US market 2016 LEAFs as well.

Into the headwind of continuing low gas prices, I would expect that Nissan is going to have to add some value to the 2016s, if it wants to avoid the heavy discounting it needed to use to sell the last of the 2015 MYs.

I expect more advanced autonomous features for the LEAF are only ~one or two MYs away:

edatoakrun said:
Seems to confirm Nissan will into ‘traffic jam mode’ just about when the LEAF gen 2 and/or Infiniti EV is introduced:

Nissan plans autonomous tech in crossovers by 2017

Nissan will introduce autonomous technology into its model line-up by 2017, according to the vice president of vehicle design and development, David Moss...
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-plans-autonomous-tech-crossovers-2017
Autonomous driving LEAF, and the implications for BEVs.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&start=130

I don't believe that they deserve any credit for that! It was only the lawsuit that forced them in to doing so!

RegGuheert said:
I almost stated that, but I decided to give Nissan credit for the fact that they did ultimately warranty capacity on the MY2011/2012 LEAFs.

mkjayakumar said:
I want TACC. When will I get it in a Leaf?

For anyone wondering, this is Tesla's word for adaptive cruise.

But I agree. It's probably awesome and I've been dying to get my hands on a car that has it. So far, however, it's only been available on luxury cars at the top spec. The A3 E-Tron, for example, starts at $37,000, but it'll cost you about $38,000 to get adaptive cruise! Does Nissan currently have it on any cars? I'm assuming new Infinities have it.

pkulak said:
mkjayakumar said:
I want TACC. When will I get it in a Leaf?

For anyone wondering, this is Tesla's word for adaptive cruise.

But I agree. It's probably awesome and I've been dying to get my hands on a car that has it. So far, however, it's only been available on luxury cars at the top spec. The A3 E-Tron, for example, starts at $37,000, but it'll cost you about $38,000 to get adaptive cruise! Does Nissan currently have it on any cars? I'm assuming new Infinities have it.
Lots of cars have adoptive cruise control that aren't considered luxury. Hyundai Sonata, Subaru, Volt 2016, etc...

Back