Wholesale value of the 2013 Leaf @Auction-March '18

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The supposed Fire Sale on 2015 Leafs doesn't seem to be so Hot here in Upstate NY, so I will still be considering the option of following my car through auction and trying to buy it for less then the $13k residual next year. My first choice would be to lease another SV since I think mine will lose a bar soon, but it's looking like I can't afford to do that with an SV with Premium, and I don't want an S with these Cold Winters. I'd rather have a car I like with a 65 mile (40 in Winter) range than a new Stripped SV or even an optioned out S. The latter would probably have the same Winter range!

cwerdna said:
I called NMAC today to ask why I haven't received a bill for the $395 disposition fee for the '13 Leaf SV w/both packages I returned on 7/27/15. I also asked if I owed anything else, to which they said no. They said the car had been sold @ auction and I asked for how much (I guessed $10K to $10.5K). They said it went for about $10.6K (not sure it's before or after auction fees).

It had under 23.5K miles and was built 6/2013. I gave the VIN awhile ago to the used car dealer I used to buy my current Leaf so he could keep on eye on how much it sold for. He sent me the Manheim listing and it mentioned 3 tires were at 6/32" and 1 at 5/32". Manheim gave it a a grade of 4.5 (I believe it's out of 5).
It seems like the situation has changed for the worse for buyers now.

I just spoke to my used car dealer (had to because of a title and VIN mix up that appears to be the DMV's fault... they mixed up my name and address w/another Leaf w/a very similar VIN).

Anyhow, he said my former '13 Leaf SV w/both packages went for $11K at auction. I guess that'd be about right considering the $3xx-ish of fees it seems like dealers have to pay, on top of the selling price.

(Unfortunately, I was outside when making the call so couldn't hear him well and didn't take notes.) He said that at auction, there are a lot fewer Leafs now at auction now, maybe 40-50. Either in the previous or upcoming, he said there were 6 (or 8?) Leaf SV (vs. the ~20 or so during my auction). He said the Nissan dealers are snatching them up and willing to pay more for the cars, since they can mark them up to a higher price.

He said he got 2 Leafs at auction and neither has CHAdeMO inlet.

I mentioned this is all quite weird given the rumors of the '16 Leaf SV and SL's increased battery capacity.

Although I didn't mention it, this seems also a bit weird given how low gas prices have become. It'll be interesting to see if this is temporary or perhaps I just got real lucky to have bought at the right time.

I've also noticed a slight price increase in 2013 models. However, I'm convinced this is temporary and we will soon see prices continue to trend downwards. The majority of leased vehicles have only really begun to come off lease and enter the used car market. In addition, there is still a very limited market the Leaf. So an increasing supply and a limited demand can only result in lower prices. Well, unless gas prices start increasing.

There are a lot of new threads on MNL asking advice about a used Leaf purchase, this might be an indication of increasing demand for used Leafs.

I am one of the people looking to purchase a used Leaf...

Looking at the sales numbers from 3 years ago there is about to be a whole lot of 2013 inventory coming off of there leases...
There will be more cars coming off lease in the final quarter of this year than in the first three quarter of 2012 combined...
2012 Leaf Sales -- http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/
Sep 984
Oct 1,579
Nov 1,539
Dec 1,489

Yearly Sales...
2011 9,674
2012 9,819
2013 22,610
2014 30,200
2015 12,383 so far...

The used Leaf inventory is only barely starting to come in...
I only see the prices of used Leafs continuing to drop hard...
100+ and 200+ mile range electrics coming out will further drive them down...
I have to think they price will bottom out at some point when people realize electrics don’t break down and keep going...

Who knows how desperate NMAC is in not wanting to see these Leafs ever again. With a super-aggressive incentive to keep the car many might just do that instead of turning it in.

How is it possible to bypass a dealer and by from an auction? Is there anyone doing it for a fee? Rather than paying markup to a dealer?

Mreekster said:
How is it possible to bypass a dealer and by from an auction? Is there anyone doing it for a fee? Rather than paying markup to a dealer?
Get you own dealer license? Go to auctions that don't require a dealer license?

These might be insightful.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19362&p=429492&hilit=manheim#p429492
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20369&p=433850&hilit=manheim#p433850

The link for "Access to Manheim.com is limited to licensed dealers only. For information on sales open to the public, please visit our Public Auctions sale listing." leads to:
https://www.manheim.com/publicauctions/sales.do

At the time, I was in the market, there was nothing of use in California or at least that wasn't just a repo auction. I don't really want repo cars.

Mreekster said:
Is there anyone doing it for a fee?
Some people found a small used car dealer that was willing to buy at auction for them for a fairly modest markup, probably in the $300 to $500 range, as long as they committed in advance to purchase the vehicle.
There is some risk.
Often only the description with not much ability to inspect the vehicle or test with LEAF Spy Pro.
But one person bought a 2012 in very good condition for <$8,000 six months to a year ago with this approach.

I'm also in the used leaf market. A dealer I know picked up a 2013 SV with 30k miles today. I have first shot at it... the price is $6500 to $7000. The car is clean but has had the front fender replaced. Title is clean not salvage. I really don't care about the previous damage as long as it was repaired correctly.... however the car does not have the quick charge port....

I really wanted the rapid charge port primarily for resale value but at this cheap of a price, not sure it matters. The closest rapid charger is 55 miles away....

I have access to Manheim (my uncle is a dealer... ) right now there is 214 leafs listed (152 are 2013's)

I just keep wondering if I should wait as I expect the price to drop more (I don't expect much cheaper than this car... but the previous damage drove this price down)

That is nationally. I have been checking for a few weeks now and they seem to be getting in 150ish a week on average.

My contact at a local Nissan Dealership told me that there are tons of Leafs at the local processing centers, about to hit the auctions. He told me that over 100 will hit the auction this week in Atlanta. There is no doubt that prices will be dropping soon. I would say that if you are a potential buyer and can hold off for the next few months, you may end up saving significant $$.

Unfortunately, I decided the Leaf was not suitable for me and I purchased a used Prius. My main concern was that the Leaf would have been my only car and I did not like the idea of being stuck in cases of emergency -eg when the car is still charging or if I need to take an extended trip. Don't get me wrong, I love the car and will likely get one in the future- by then maybe one will be able to charge in a very short time and the range will be at least 200 miles!

308 on Manheim right now. I would expect prices to drop also.

2015 (3)
2014 (6)
2013 (209)
2012 (77)
2011 (13)

Hugh sale on Leafs at Manheim today in GA. I printed out a list and will post details of the sale results here... Might help someone who is looking to buy a used 13 negotiate on the price....

gemrough said:
Hugh sale on Leafs at Manheim today in GA. I printed out a list and will post details of the sale results here... Might help someone who is looking to buy a used 13 negotiate on the price....

update on the list?

Here are this weeks national results for 2013 LEAF SL wholesale auction sales

2013_LEAF_SL_Wholesale_10-08-15.jpg

Back