iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
SalisburySam said:
Let me thank mjblazin, EV4EVer, hieronymous, and LEAFMuranoDriver for their suggestions to help me pick out an OBDII WiFi reader. I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. I downloaded LEAFSpyPro, it installed on my iPhone6 without problem, and connected quickly to the OBDII device. Now I see what all the wonder is about, and I add my $20 and praise to Turbo3 for this amazing bit of insight into my LEAF. Not sure what it all tells me yet, but this and related MNL threads certainly mean a lot more to me now than before. Thanks again all.
Does this mean they have fixed the bug in the iCAR3 (not iCAM3) where you need to unplug it and plug again after it goes into sleep mode?

Thanks for the correction: yes, it is an iCAR3, my bad.

I can't directly speak to a fix, but I've left the device in place since installing it, and it connects quickly and with no interaction on my part. I've driven my LEAF about 8 times since I've had the device and LeafSpy Pro, and have had to do nothing to connect other than ensuring my phone's WiFi is turned on. Works on both iPhone6 and iPad3, the only devices I've tested to date.

Lastly, the iCAR3 does indeed appear to go into sleep mode correctly. I've come back to the car about half an hour after shutdown, tried to connect with the iPhone6, and there is no connection. After starting the car, the connection self-establishes quickly. So far, all appears well.

TimLee said:
SalisburySam said:
... I chose an iCAM3; it is the current model of one of the recommendations, and I was surprised how small the device is. ...
Why the iCAM3 instead of LYL that Turbo3 uses?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18917&p=429802#p429802

Size?
Price?

Hi TimLee, fair question, happy to share my thinking. I'm frequently wrong, but I take comfort in the satisfaction of having made a decision.

I picked the iCAR3 (not iCAM3, as Turbo3 correctly pointed out) because it met all of my requirements, recapped below. The LYL is a larger device that either will interfere with my left shin or will require an extension cable and mounting/hanging somewhere else, and therefore doesn't meet requirement #2. I respect the comments from others who suggested the OBDII port on the LEAF is pretty weak and could break over many connect-disconnect cycles, however I don't plan to remove the device, except for the annual State inspection when they plug in their own device for their tests, or unless it fails. To date, my first week or so with the device has been flawless.

Original requirements:
1- must work with the amazing LeaSpyPro and all of its features
2- prefer a smaller device that doesn't need an extension cable but doesn't attack knees either
3- prefer automatic shut down and reboot, since I don't drive my LEAF every day
4- iPhone, iPad compatible, at least the more current models
5- under $100

Just downloaded LSP and discovered it will not run under IOS9. Opens, then crashes. :(

Awaiting an update I guess...

Marty

otbiker said:
Just downloaded LSP and discovered it will not run under IOS9. Opens, then crashes. :(

Awaiting an update I guess...

Marty
Unfortunately iOS 9 has dropped support for the method LeafSpy Pro uses to read the Network SSID which is used to check if the network is attached to a WiFi OBDII adapter.

I have a simple workaround for now that just skips trying to read the SSID until I find another way to do this under iOS 9.

This fix should be in the next test release. If you would like to test this version of LeafSpy Pro send a request to [email protected] to joint the iOS test group.

Newbe here. I bought the iCar3 and downloaded LeafSpy Pro. Tested it yesterday and after correcting for some errors on my part, everything seems to be running well.

I’m not sure that I’ve done the automatic shut off test correctly yet, but I think the unit does shut off. Although the instructions that came with it say that there is a light on it, I can’t find one. It’s a very small. Barely extends below the dash so there’s no problem leaving it there if it does indeed shut off. If it shuts off, will it wake up when my iPad tries to make contact (before the car is on)?

I’ve just used the software once and I’m not up to speed at all. I got these so I could see how the battery was doing without having to insist that the dealer tell me at the annual service (they like to hand out that sheet that rates the battery in stars). So I think I’m in good shape.

The car is a 2011 coming up on 19,000 miles. I did a charge to 100% last night. Page 3 of the App showed:

SOC 96.5%
GIDS 246 (87.5%)
kWh 19.1
Ah 55.38
Volt 394.0
Wh 447

So I’m thinking that perhaps the battery is at about 87% of its original capacity. The car still shows all 12 bars when fully charged, however. If it is indeed at 87%, I think I should have lost a bar by now.

I’ve been looking at the instructions in the App for column H of the Log file in which it says current capacity can be calculated by: SOC% x AHr x 360 which shows an estimate of kWh.

I did a little futzing in a spreadsheet, but I’m really not inclined to get too obsessed.

If you don’t mind answering:

What is the kWh capacity of a new 2011 HV battery?

What does the acronym GID stand for?

rdhauser said:
Newbe here. I bought the iCar3 and downloaded LeafSpy Pro. Tested it yesterday and after correcting for some errors on my part, everything seems to be running well.

I’m not sure that I’ve done the automatic shut off test correctly yet, but I think the unit does shut off. Although the instructions that came with it say that there is a light on it, I can’t find one. It’s a very small. Barely extends below the dash so there’s no problem leaving it there if it does indeed shut off. If it shuts off, will it wake up when my iPad tries to make contact (before the car is on)?

I’ve just used the software once and I’m not up to speed at all. I got these so I could see how the battery was doing without having to insist that the dealer tell me at the annual service (they like to hand out that sheet that rates the battery in stars). So I think I’m in good shape.

The car is a 2011 coming up on 19,000 miles. I did a charge to 100% last night. Page 3 of the App showed:

SOC 96.5%
GIDS 246 (87.5%)
kWh 19.1
Ah 55.38
Volt 394.0
Wh 447

So I’m thinking that perhaps the battery is at about 87% of its original capacity. The car still shows all 12 bars when fully charged, however. If it is indeed at 87%, I think I should have lost a bar by now.

I’ve been looking at the instructions in the App for column H of the Log file in which it says current capacity can be calculated by: SOC% x AHr x 360 which shows an estimate of kWh.

I did a little futzing in a spreadsheet, but I’m really not inclined to get too obsessed.

If you don’t mind answering:

What is the kWh capacity of a new 2011 HV battery?

What does the acronym GID stand for?
Gary Giddings first discovered the CAN message that provided the battery charge level so he got to name the units just like when people discover a new star.

A new 2011 Leaf typically had a maximum Gids reading when charged to "100% " of 281 Gids.

The first bar goes away at 85% SOH which is shown on the first screen. What are your SOH and Hx values from the first screen?

First Screen (the one with the 96 HV battery cells) shows:

AHr 57.39
SOH 87%
Hx 74.88

And I did confirm that the iCar3 shuts off after a bit (about 1/2 hour) because when I select WiFi in the iPod settings, it searches but does not find the iCar3 (while I'm standing just outside the car).

rdhauser said:
First Screen (the one with the 96 HV battery cells) shows:

AHr 57.39
SOH 87%
Hx 74.88

And I did confirm that the iCar3 shuts off after a bit (about 1/2 hour) because when I select WiFi in the iPod settings, it searches but does not find the iCar3 (while I'm standing just outside the car).

I lost my first bar at a bit lower level than most. My AHr was 53.98 and my SOH was 82% at the time. You've still got a bit to go before you have to worry about losing your first bar. Congrats! :)

Hi guys,

I have done my best in trying to get the LeafSpy app working. A trail of google breadcrumbs led here.

LeafSpy Pro: 1.0.10
Leaf: MY15 made in Sunderland, UK.
iPhone: iPhone 6
iOS: 8.4.1
OBD2 scanner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AOIM2CC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The app connects fine but doesn't seem to pull any info. Please see screen shots

It stays at Connected 14 00 and doesn't budge off that for the majority of the time. Once it changed to 102 00.
I have left the app connected for 10 minutes plus and it never pulled any info from the Leaf.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Ronan

f0x8o0.png

351sv4o.png

Ronan said:
Hi guys,

I have done my best in trying to get the LeafSpy app working. A trail of google breadcrumbs led here.

OBD2 scanner: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AOIM2CC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

The app connects fine but doesn't seem to pull any info. Please see screen shots

It stays at Connected 14 00 and doesn't budge off that for the majority of the time. Once it changed to 102 00.
I have left the app connected for 10 minutes plus and it never pulled any info from the Leaf.

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Ronan

f0x8o0.png

351sv4o.png
Assuming your Leaf was turned on when LeafSpy was running I would take an ELM trace of about one minute and send it to me at the address listed on the About screen.

You will need to use iTunes to move the TRC_xxxx.txt file to a PC to send it to me.

Ronan said:
Hi guys,

Any help appreciated.
Regards,
Ronan

f0x8o0.png

351sv4o.png

Hi Ronan

Your purchase is not working at all. Clicking on the OBD2 link you provided above shows an Amazon listing for a bluetooth ANDROID scanner. If this is what you purchased then it is NOT compatible with iOS. The website listing clearly states this in at least two places. Return it if you can.

To use Leaf Scan Pro with your iPhone 6 you need a wifi scanner, not a bluetooth scanner. Make sure when searching for something suitable that the provided info clearly states that the device is compatible with CAN bus protocols.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply hieronymous. The link I pasted in was the one I bought, not the one that the forum software generated.
The one I bought states that it does work with iOS/iPhone.

Oddly enough I tried it again this morning after a 25km drive and it worked fine. I'd have to put it down to pilot error, despite following the manual to the letter. Car was switched in the on position at all times when trying it, so it worked this time but not the others. Only difference was it was at the end of a drive, not just switched on sitting in the drive for the evening.

More worrying for me is SOH of 96% in a three week old car....

2llow7o.png

Thanks for the input LeafMuranoDriver.
I've done a bit of digging and it appears normal alright. Good to get confirmation.
I got a bit flustered at first!

Ronan said:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply hieronymous. The link I pasted in was the one I bought, not the one that the forum software generated.
The one I bought states that it does work with iOS/iPhone.

Oddly enough I tried it again this morning after a 25km drive and it worked fine. I'd have to put it down to pilot error, despite following the manual to the letter. Car was switched in the on position at all times when trying it, so it worked this time but not the others. Only difference was it was at the end of a drive, not just switched on sitting in the drive for the evening.

More worrying for me is SOH of 96% in a three week old car....

Hi ronan

Your link generated a 404 hence my thinking you wrote the OBD2 link as well - glad yours is working. Sounds like it is occasionally 'freezing' though; I clear mine by closing the app, closing the wifi connection as well, checking for light(s) on the wifi sender and reseating if necessary, then restarting the app. Doesn't happen very often....
It is easy to get initially hung up on the data from Leaf Spy, but the battery stats can be quite variable - best to look for any trend over weeks or months instead, and in the meantime just enjoy your Leaf!

None of the run of the mill OBD-applications for iPhone work for me. They all say they can't connect to the ECU. I'd really like to try with LeafSpy boy is it expensive. Why can't I find the Lite version on the App Store, does anyone know?

What are the numbers in red dot appearing next to LeafSpy Pro icon as you exit/enter the app? Normally when I see that graphic next to an app icon, it means waiting messages or exception conditions. Since my numbers are usually 65-69, I initially got a little concerned. I could not match it to any status in the app. I guess it is a byproduct of being able to run app in background.

mjblazin said:
What are the numbers in red dot appearing next to LeafSpy Pro icon as you exit/enter the app? Normally when I see that graphic next to an app icon, it means waiting messages or exception conditions. Since my numbers are usually 65-69, I initially got a little concerned. I could not match it to any status in the app. I guess it is a byproduct of being able to run app in background.
Open the built-in application help and scroll down to Recent Changes/Background Operation.

When background operation has been enabled the badge number indicates the status of the app running in the background. The units digit cycles between 1 and 9 to indicate the app is still running. The tens digit is the status: 6x connected, 5x and 7x means the WiFi connection is being retried.

This is done to alert the user that LeafSpy is still running in the background and consuming power. If you did not intend for LeafSpy to be running in the background then open LeafSpy and go to Settings and disable keeping GPS always active.

ballbeam said:
None of the run of the mill OBD-applications for iPhone work for me. They all say they can't connect to the ECU. I'd really like to try with LeafSpy boy is it expensive. Why can't I find the Lite version on the App Store, does anyone know?
There is currently no LeafSpy Lite for iOS.

Back