iOS Version of LeafSpy Pro development discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lwong said:
Turbo3,
Is there a particular adapter that works best with Leaf Spy and iPhones? Which adapter do you primarily use?
I use the LYL brand WiFi adapter with a Y-Cable.
EqV4Wy.jpg

ZTIAg8.jpg

To install this Y-cable you remove the under dash cover then pop out the current OBDII socket and connect it to the black plug on the Y-cable. Then you plug the closest white socket back into the original OBDII socket opening so the service people can still access the OBDII. The other white socket you route out near the hood release lever and plug the OBDII adapter into it. I use a twist tie to hold the LYL up out of the way.

The Y-Cable is $8 on amazon with free shipping. I actually use a cable with three ends since I also have a WattsLeft plugged in as well. It makes for a nice clean look with nothing to hit and accidentally unplug with your leg. The white connectors are exactly the same as the factory connector so the mounting clips are the same and it just snaps back in.

You can also use this short adapter plugged directly into the under dash OBDII socket.
uv30.jpg

(This website has gotten so slow after the upgrade that is very difficult to use. Wish we could get the old fast one back.)

Thanks! I just ordered the LYL and the y-cable. Here are the links in case anyone else is interested:

LYL WIFI Wireless OBD2 scan tool $19.98
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R59EMJY

OBD 2 16 Pin Y Splitter Extension Scanner Electronic Dual Cable $7.99 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V81XICW

Just uploaded the next test release to iTunes for review. Should be available sometime tomorrow (July 21).

Version 1.0.16 (Test Release)

- Added Climate Control status to the bottom of screen 3

- For 2013 and newer Leafs the motor power displayed on screen 4 will switch to displaying battery power during regeneration. This is to address the change Nissan made to not report regen power with motor power in the parameter LeafSpy reads. The label "motr" will switch to "batt" when power is being calculated based on battery data. The label will also change to "batt" during charging.

- The elevation and speed log file now includes epoch time as the third entry.

- Rearrange battery temperatures on screen 4 and labeled ambient temperature as outside temperature.

- Fixed bug that prevented non-standard VINs like Japan's registration number from being displayed.

- Removed the Multi-Frame delay option. The OBDII adapter is now allowed to operate at the maximum transfer speed.

- Display Ambient temperature in Centigrade.

- Corrected mislabeling of screen 1 help overlay that had Zoom In/Zoom Out areas reversed.

- If the Leaf has never been Quick Charged the charge log name will be in the format Lxxxx instead of Q65535_Lxxxx where xxxx is the number of L1/L2 charge/plugs.

- Added date to most screens to help in later identifying screenshots.

- Fixed bug that caused state information not to be saved if the option to run in the background was enabled (i.e. always keep GPS active).

- For Trip and Charge efficiencies on screen 4 support Wh/mile and Wh/km formats.

- Updated help file.

- Compiled using B4i 2.0

MIpKmj.png
DZFXDh.png

I didn't receive an invite for .17 and the invite for .18 gives me 'The requested app is not available or doesn't not exist. Was there a problem with .17 and .18? Or are my testflight skills lacking?

jhm614 said:
I didn't receive an invite for .17 and the invite for .18 gives me 'The requested app is not available or doesn't not exist. Was there a problem with .17 and .18? Or are my testflight skills lacking?
Version 1.0.17 never made it out as a couple of bugs were reported after it was uploaded to iTunes and I released 1.0.18 which killed 1.0.17 since it had not made it through the iTunes review process.

I added one more feature to allow the outside temperature to be calibrated with an adjustment of -5 to +5 degrees to the Dash display. When I released 1.0.19 to iTunes it automatically kills 1.0.18. I wish iTunes would keep the previous release active until they finished the review of a new release but they don't. So there is always a gap of a day or more between release updates when Testflight will not let you install any version.

Not sure how much reviewing they do on Sunday so it may not be until Monday when you get the invite for 1.0.19.

I recommend installing as soon as you get the invite as I think 1.0.19 will be the final test release before I go for a full release. When that happens if you have not upgraded to 1.0.19 you will be locked out for one or more weeks while iTunes does a full review. The review does not take that long but the minimum wait time for a full review is one week with each reject/review cycle taking an additional week.

When testing 1.0.19 outside temperature adjustment feature this should only be done when the Leaf has been sitting at the same temperature for several hours to be sure the dash outside temperature display has stabilized. Best to do the adjustment in the early morning . This is because the LeafSpy reading responses very quickly to temperature changes whereas the dash display takes a long time to respond.

For my 2011 Leaf I need to do a +1 adjustment to bring it into sync with the dash.

Be sure to report any problems with 1.0.19 or earlier versions as I would like it to be as clean as possible given the long time it would take be to fix a bug if it made it to the full release.

I can confirm that .19 displays my VIN. (much appreciated on the quick turn for something that affected a very small number of users)

snuddi said:
When will a version that suports IOS 9 be out? Mine just opens and closes in 1sec.
That would be either a bug in the iOS9 beta or B4i.

If in the iOS beta then be sure to run the latest version of the beta to see if it has been fixed.

If it is in B4i then we will need to wait for the problem to be identified and an updated compiler to be made available.

Please post the iOS Beta version you are having trouble with.

Also what version of LeafSpy are you running?

ccna101 said:
I have a OBD2 (non-wifi) and willing to be test the code with Iphone6+.

Let me know,

Dong
I assume by "non-wifi" you have a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. LeafSpy for iOS does not support those adapters. It might in the future but the adapter needs to be Apple approved or it will not be seen by an iOS device (unless Jail broken).

snuddi said:
When will a version that suports IOS 9 be out? Mine just opens and closes in 1sec.
I should have an iOS device I can install iOS 9 beta on later today to start working this problem.

===================================
Installed iOS 9 beta 4 and confirmed crash on startup. Also identified the line of code which causes the crash which is one I actually got from the B4i developer so I have asked him for a fix. It is a line of code that calls an Objective-C routine to read the current WiFi SSID.

Once I commented out the code LeafSpy Pro runs fine on iOS 9 beta 4.

===================================
Apple has stopped supporting the method I use to read the SSID in iOS 9.

Until I find a new way and I am able to port it to B4i I will just need to skip reading the SSID if you run LeafSpy Pro on iOS 9. This means there will be no registering of the OBDII SSID. That means LeafSpy has no way to know if the WiFi is connected to the OBDII adapter in the Leaf or a Network so it will try to communicate with the Leaf over the Network.

Great app. Any idea when the App Store version will be updated? I just bought it the other day - everything seems to be working well, but I noticed that the App Store version (1.0.10) is now well behind the latest betas.

My car recently lost its 4th capacity bar, which prompted me to get the OBDII adapter and the app, so I could collect some data prior to going to the dealer. I'm getting plenty of good info so far, but would love to get the Dropbox syncing as well as other new features.

Thanks!

baronvonshush said:
Great app. Any idea when the App Store version will be updated? I just bought it the other day - everything seems to be working well, but I noticed that the App Store version (1.0.10) is now well behind the latest betas.

My car recently lost its 4th capacity bar, which prompted me to get the OBDII adapter and the app, so I could collect some data prior to going to the dealer. I'm getting plenty of good info so far, but would love to get the Dropbox syncing as well as other new features.

Thanks!
I submitted 1.1.0 to Apple a week ago. It takes around seven days before they review it. Yesterday they rejected it asking for more information which I provided but the seven day clock starts again so won't know until next week if it will get released or they need more information/changes.

If you send me your email address ([email protected]) I can add you to the testers group and you can install the new version while we wait on Apple.

Test version 1.1.2 is now available to testers.

This adds better support for the standalone Climate Control unit used on the base mode Leaf that does not have the Navigation screen. The mode (A/C, Heat, Auto) should now be correctly displayed on Screen 3.

Also added auto units (C or F) detection for the Set Temperature. The units used on the CAN bus that LeafSpy reads match the Leaf units selected for the Climate Control unit. For the standalone Climate Control unit this is hard-coded by Nissan and is fixed at time of manufacture so it may not match what you want. If you have the Navigation unit you can change this in Settings. By automatically detecting the units used on the CAN bus LeafSpy can now convert to whatever units you have selected on the LeafSpy Settings/Units panel.

Auto detection may need help if your normal Set Temperature is between 60 - 64 F or 30 to 32 C. In that case you will need to temporarily change the value to be above 64 F or below 30 C for LeafSpy to learn the correct CAN units used. After it is learned it is saved and you can change the Set Temperature back to any temperature you want.

If the heater is used its energy should now show up in the energy used value shown on Screen 3 above the Fan image.

I have version 1.1.1 and use a Veepeak OBDII WiFi adapter. I am set-up with a static on my iphone 6, 9.1. When I open the spy pro app it searches then I get a one second flash of the green "connected" box then the app drops. sometimes it works and I get all the data displayed and other times the above drop occurs. The drop occurs quite often and when it is occurring it continues. If I turn off the WiFi on the iphone then the Spy Pro boots up and stays but, of course, no data is received. Any Ideas?
Murray

It may be your adapter. I have seen intermittent connection and then the app shuts down. I first tried various phone actions, none worked. I then disconnected the adapter from my extension (not messing with the under dash connection) and reconnected. Connection and operation went fine. Disconnect/re-connect i found did not need any phone actions to work.

I leave my adapter connected to car. Maybe the adapter gets confused and needed a restart. It dies not have an on/off switch so I do the disconnect.

Test version 1.1.3 for iOS is now available to people in the current test group.

Added support for the new 30 kWh battery and fixed a bug that limited reported Gids to 349. If you have or have access to one of the new Leafs please charge it to 100% and report back the maximum reported Gids.

Once connected to your Leaf you can see the detected pack size in Settings/Model Year. This is automatically set based on the last Leaf you connected to or the Leaf you are currently connected to. When not connected to a Leaf the selection can be changed to allow you to properly review previously saved charge graphs taken from a Leaf with a different size battery than your normal Leaf.

Fixes a bug in the standalone BMS mode that prevented clearing DTCs.

Back