Blink changes billing model for public charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
Is this the best you can do???
To address the issue of people staying in a spot plugged in while not charging??
Probably.. It's decent option for that..

It is not going to help spots that are ICEd by someone not plugged in, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
It's just not going to help that other situation.

Really, the ICEing problem needs to be addressed with enforcement, but that's a tricky one and not really something Blink (or any provider) can do much about...
Many more chargers (or EVSEs) available will help thru minimizing the issue, but that's much more cost in an already narrow profit margin business model.
Also, the 200 or so mile cars will help... Less need for charging outside...

desiv

desiv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Is this the best you can do???
To address the issue of people staying in a spot plugged in while not charging??
Probably.. It's decent option for that..

It is not going to help spots that are ICEd by someone not plugged in, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
It's just not going to help that other situation.

Really, the ICEing problem needs to be addressed with enforcement, but that's a tricky one and not really something Blink (or any provider) can do much about...
Many more chargers (or EVSEs) available will help thru minimizing the issue, but that's much more cost in an already narrow profit margin business model.
Also, the 200 or so mile cars will help... Less need for charging outside...

desiv

it would have been a non issue if Blink had it set up so multiple cars could park close enough to use a single charger or required hosts to enforce a parking policy

DaveinOlyWA said:
it would have been a non issue if Blink had it set up so multiple cars could park close enough to use a single charger

I wish everyone did that!! Agreed.
There's a Nissan provided (Thanx for that Nissan) QC here in Salem, Oregon, but the cord is kind of short and the way they laid out the parking, it will only reach the one spot.
Same with an OpConnect DCQC charger at a Roth's market.
And I've had issues with both of those having cars done or not plugged in at those spots...
But...
DaveinOlyWA said:
..or required hosts to enforce a parking policy
I'm not sure any provider has the ability to do that..
I'm sure they'd LOVE it if that would happen, but that's up to the location, not the provider...
And most locations just don't care..

desiv

desiv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
it would have been a non issue if Blink had it set up so multiple cars could park close enough to use a single charger

I wish everyone did that!! Agreed.
There's a Nissan provided (Thanx for that Nissan) QC here in Salem, Oregon, but the cord is kind of short and the way they laid out the parking, it will only reach the one spot.
Same with an OpConnect DCQC charger at a Roth's market.
And I've had issues with both of those having cars done or not plugged in at those spots...
But...
DaveinOlyWA said:
..or required hosts to enforce a parking policy
I'm not sure any provider has the ability to do that..
I'm sure they'd LOVE it if that would happen, but that's up to the location, not the provider...
And most locations just don't care..

desiv
Are their really any Blink L2s that see lots of use? Aside from the group of 10 near me that mostly go unused despite being located downtown and within easy walk of a BART (rapid transit) station, the rest in town are scattered in singles or doubles at various MickeyD's, which is just about the most useless location for an L2 imaginable. Although I don't go by any of them with any frequency, I've never seen one in use. The problem isn't people hogging the spots, it's the fact that Blink is charging $0.49/kWh from the wall for 'members' in California, or $0.59 otherwise. Gas is far cheaper per mile unless you're driving a big pickup or pickup-based SUV, so who beyond the math illiterate is going to use them with any frequency? Anything over $0.30/kWh just isn't going to cut it, and realistically, if they want to compete with HEVs they have to be around $0.25/kWh or less.

GRA said:
Are their really any Blink L2s that see lots of use?
Lots? Not sure..
But I have, on several occasions (although I wouldn't say frequently) pulled up to Blink L2 chargers with cars plugged in, but no longer charging (I'm assuming they were and completed). So this does happen, even here in Salem, Oregon.
GRA said:
The problem isn't people hogging the spots, it's the fact that Blink is charging $0.49/kWh from the wall for 'members' in California, or $0.59 otherwise. .
That is a problem, agreed.
I personally think it's related to the business model Blink is (and most/all? other providers are) following.

But I think there can be more than one problem.
I don't think Blink said with this statement they were addressing any/all issues. ;-)
I think they said there were addressing this one issue, and I think this is a good attempt to address that. And I think that's fine, even if it isn't their major issue. ;-)

desiv

desiv said:
GRA said:
Are their really any Blink L2s that see lots of use?
Lots? Not sure..
But I have, on several occasions (although I wouldn't say frequently) pulled up to Blink L2 chargers with cars plugged in, but no longer charging (I'm assuming they were and completed). So this does happen, even here in Salem, Oregon.
We do get people here parking in the spots and either finished with charging or not charging at all, but given the small % of them ever being used for charging, its not an issue here as of yet. Only the QC sees more than occasional use, and even that mostly goes unused.

desiv said:
GRA said:
The problem isn't people hogging the spots, it's the fact that Blink is charging $0.49/kWh from the wall for 'members' in California, or $0.59 otherwise. .
That is a problem, agreed.
I personally think it's related to the business model Blink is (and most/all? other providers are) following.

But I think there can be more than one problem.
I don't think Blink said with this statement they were addressing any/all issues. ;-)
I think they said there were addressing this one issue, and I think this is a good attempt to address that. And I think that's fine, even if it isn't their major issue. ;-)

desiv
And I've said that I think this is a good thing, so we're agreeing to agree. :lol:

So, apparently Blink is backing off (some)...

"A few days ago, we announced that we would be implementing post charging occupancy fees on Blink-owned Level 2 charging stations. As a result, we received a great deal of feedback, both positive and negative. While we understand that not everyone will be supportive of the new policy, we do understand that the new fees may not be practical at all locations. Therefore, in order to review the charger locations more carefully, we have chosen to delay the implementation of the new charger occupancy fees.

In the meantime, please allow us to reiterate and clarify that the new charger occupancy fee will not be applied at all Blink EV charging stations. The policy will only be applied to certain Level 2 charging stations and as noted above, the policy may vary by location. Once implemented, the charger occupancy fee for each charging station will be displayed on the charging station details on the Blink Network map and Blink mobile app, as well as the station's touchscreen.
To help ensure that you receive updates on your charging status as well as when the applicable charger occupancy fees will apply, we encourage you to double check the email and SMS notifications set up for your account. To do so, please visit the Blink Network at www.BlinkNetwork.com and login to your Blink account. The notification section is on the right side of the "User Info" tab. You may also review and set the notifications in the "My Account" section of the Blink mobile application.
We thank you for your patience as we continue to implement policies that provides EV drivers with easier access to the Blink chargers. Should you have questions about the new Charger Occupancy fee, please contact Blink Customer Support at (888) 998-2546 or [email protected]"

Wouldn't it be great for the consumer to have a government run charging system. It would remove the middle man, the corporation, and regulate the cost. Corporations need to compete. When they do not, it is time for the government to regulate or provide a more affordable service. This is typical of a capitalistic system where profits are the only determinant while being morally and at times ethically deficit. There is no violation of law here, it is the fiduciary responsibility of corporations to their CEO's and Shareholders to maximize profit. This is what I would call vulture capitalism where the corporation feeds upon those in need of an affordable service and this service is now run by corporations through acquisitions and mergers appearing monopolistic and controlling the market share. Thank you for a previously relative affordable service.

John James

Governments have a lot of people competing for things they believe they should get at below market prices. Look at all the various needs out there. Does getting cheaper juice for the cars of a small share (the non-home chargers) of the < 1% of public driving plug in cars really have a priority on that list? I doubt it.

From: Lindsay P. (Blink Network Customer Support) <[email protected]>
To: Jack Meyer <[email protected]>
Sent: Sat, Jul 18, 2015 5:18 am
Subject: [Blink Network, A Car Charging Company] Re: Thank you for contacting Blink Network

Lindsay P.
Lindsay P. (Blink Network, A Car Charging Company)
Jul 18, 5:18 AM
Hello Jack,
Thank you for contacting Blink Network. We appreciate your feedback in regard to our new post-charging occupancy fees. We believe that this new policy will have a positive impact on the EV community as a whole. We are simply trying to encourage our customers to share the charging units and only be plugged in for the amount of time it takes them to charge their vehicles. We understand that not all drivers will be supportive of the new policy, however, please note that implementation of the policy will vary based on contract and location type.
We are open to specific suggestions by location that may need to be exempt from the program. We are still working on adjusting the policy at this time.
We thank you for voicing your concerns. If you have any additional feedback regarding the new pricing structure, please respond directly to this email.
Thank you,
Lindsay
Lindsay P.
Blink Network

Lindsay,
Good PR that does not address a capitalistic policy that will in time involve acquisitions and mergers to control market share and drive up prices due to monopolistic tendencies. It is simply the capitalistic way. Who is looking to purchase you and who are you looking to purchase. Monopolizing market share is the goal and customer service is diminished. No need to respond with another corporate form letter. I will post this to the Nissan leaf forum.

Jack Meyer

Back