E-MotorWerks JuiceBox - an open source 15kW EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
emotorwerks said:
racpuc said:
I have also tried calling them but have not reached anyone. Luckily my unit charges but the wifi does not work.
My first unit required me to ship it back (they upgraded my unit to their new AP ackme wifi module) and my current unit requires a power cycle to connect to my wifi but loses connection after less than 30 mins of charging. Trying to access the setup.com page of the juicebox yields a "page not found" site.

Anyone experiencing the same issues as me?
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with WiFi connectivity. I would encourage you to contact us directly at [email protected], as we don't have the resources and time to monitor all social media outlets. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I'm in contact with someone at emotorwerks now. Thanks for the follow up.

racpuc said:
emotorwerks said:
I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with WiFi connectivity. I would encourage you to contact us directly at [email protected], as we don't have the resources and time to monitor all social media outlets. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Glad it finally worked out! I will follow up on this internally as well.

jpadc said:
emotorwerks said:
And that is what tone deaf sounds like.
EMotorWerks is a start-up, and like with any start-up, there are some growing pains. We are actively recruiting customer service and sales personnel, and welcome any referrals. Thanks again for your confidence, and for being a JuiceBox customer.

jpadc said:
racpuc said:
So complaining here did work :shock:
We actively monitor all the major forums, and have a social media presence as well. Unfortunately, our staffing levels are not quite what we would like to see. Sending an email to [email protected] would be the preferred route, but posting here or elsewhere will get our attention as well. You can also send a PM to this account.

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/emotorwerks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/eMotorWerks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/juicebox.powe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I ordered juicebox Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB9R4KO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This forum was a huge driver to go with this purchase, packaging was excellent, arrived on time and works great, I even left a 5 start ratting.

But I have started noticing WIFI issues now, the app seems to not recognize the charger at times, I will monitor for some more time and then open an issue with there support team.

hariinfo said:
I ordered juicebox Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UB9R4KO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This forum was a huge driver to go with this purchase, packaging was excellent, arrived on time and works great, I even left a 5 start ratting.

But I have started noticing WIFI issues now, the app seems to not recognize the charger at times, I will monitor for some more time and then open an issue with there support team.
Thank you for being a JuiceBox customer! I'm sorry to hear about the WiFi trouble. Have you been able to make headway on that front?

The WiFi module is supplied by ACKme, a start-up company in Los Gatos, CA. The chips themselves are from Broadcom, and ACKme provides a software layer on top of them. Their product just became available late last year, and we are working with them through some of the use cases, which have proven to be problematic. Overall, it's a great improvement from the popular Arduino WiFi shield from Roving Networks (now Microchip). We are looking at other options down the road, and we value your feedback.

Worst comes to worst, we will have to reprogram the WiFi module or swap the entire JuiceBox out.

WiFi related issues have been my only problem with my JuiceBoxes (2), as well. My first JB (purchased last July) has the original Roving Network WiFi module, and all other available options. My other JB, which I purchased recently, is the option-less Basic model, with the new AckMe module. In my case, the RN module has worked well since it was reprogrammed by the eMW, but unfortunately only enables the Android app to be used in a "read only" mode. My AckMe equipped JB fully support the app, but I had a difficult time getting it to work initially. The WiFi "pairing" procedure did not work, especially using the built-in, local web browser. eMW had to reprogram it as well, and even after that, I had issues with the WiFi pairing procedure. Nevertheless, it has been working fine ever since reprogramming.

What I like about the RN implementation in the old JB is it supports "WPS", which can be activated with the remote key fob option using the menu driven uLCD display. My new JB does not have this option, so it does not have WPS support. I do not think WPS can be used to pair to a home WiFi network without getting deeper into the AckMe programming mode with a USB cable.

On another subject related to the CPUC PEV Sub-metering Pilot, many here, like myself, have been waiting to start soon with a UL approved (Version 12) JB. I am still on the waiting list for this program as a Northern CA PG&E customer. Once shipped, this will be my third JB and replacement for JB#2; a $10/week loaner unit from eMW.

Fwiw, I made a recent discovery that may interest some of you. In order to be fully safety approved, the new sub-metering pilot JB was designed with only a 12" long AC input cord. Such a short cord makes it much more difficult to plug in to the AC outlet mounted on the same wall as the JB. I will need a NEMA 14-50 male to female extension power cable long enough to loop down from the bottom of the JB, around and back up from beneath the outlet to plug in the power cord.

I found a suitable extension cord that is 15' long available on Amazon.com for a fairly good price on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XL2IG8...qmt=p&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_5jscdkimbn_p

I have had a functional juicebox since the initial set of units was sent out from the kickstarter campaign. When I got my juicebox it worked great. Then after a few weeks my car started showing a service light when I would start it in the morning after charging. I found that lowering the charging current the evse was allowed the car to pull seemed to alleviate the issue. But unsatisfied with the work-around I took the car to Nissan and they updated the charging firmware. This solved that car's issue for the most part. Now I have a new Leaf. I have been using the same juicebox to charge the car for several months. Within the last couple weeks it started showing the same service light in the morning after charging. However, after the last time I had it plugged in I found that the car did not fully charge. For some reason shortly after plugging in the juicebox and charge beginning it halts, and does not begin again on it's own. I have attempted altering the output current but this doesn't help. I have checked my voltage supply connections, and even tried using the juicebox at the lower 115 volts. Still after a few minutes of charging I hear the click of the relay shutting off power, when I check the car I see all lights; it has stopped charging. Can you all tell me how to trouble-shoot this issue?

If you have an early Juice Box you need to update the firmware. They have made many changes. I do know that the current version will not work since it expects different hardware. I an sure someone will tell you what version is best for you.

Are there currently any cars being sold that can L2 charge faster than 7 or 8kw?

I see 11 and 15kw j1772 evse units but I am not aware of any cars that charge much faster than 8kw.

I tried searching for 11 and 15kw charging and this is the only thing that came up.

^^ common in Europe up to 22 kW. In the US I am only aware of Tesla, up to 19.2 kW

Both of the above cases are 80 Amps but Europe has a more common non-commercial distributed 400v infrastructure that supplies ~ 273V to the outlet while the US L2 voltage is 240V

The Tesla Model 3 with the Long Range battery can be charged at 48 amps, so that works out to be a little above 11 kW at 240 volts.

Randy said:
The Tesla Model 3 with the Long Range battery can be charged at 48 amps, so that works out to be a little above 11 kW at 240 volts.
In the US, yes. I'll guess that in Europe the car reaches 48*0.273 = 13.1 kW

Addendum: or maybe not. There are subtleties related to 3-phase charging that I do not understand.

I was thinking if anyone had one it would be tesla.
Everyone is still playing catch up to them.
(Except for some of the evse manufacturers)

I have the 4 gauge welder circuit in the garage that could easily power a 15kw evse.

Oilpan4 said:

I have the 4 gauge welder circuit in the garage that could easily power a 15kw evse.
Depending on the model, Tesla ranges from 32 to 80 Amps. My LR Model 3 takes up to 48 Amps. I've yet to take advantage of the maximum but I like knowing that it is available. It makes going off the Supercharger path on long trips something to barely think about.

I don't see the advantage of charging over ~ 8 kW at home since I can always stop at a Supercharger on my way out of town if I leave home with a partially depleted battery. My home routine is to charge when the battery drops to ~ 100 miles range, and then I charge up to 250 miles.

SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:

Depending on the model, Tesla ranges from 32 to 80 Amps. My LR Model 3 takes up to 48 Amps. I've yet to take advantage of the maximum but I like knowing that it is available. It makes going off the Supercharger path on long trips something to barely think about.

I don't see the advantage of charging over ~ 8 kW at home since I can always stop at a Supercharger on my way out of town if I leave home with a partially depleted battery. My home routine is to charge when the battery drops to ~ 100 miles range, and then I charge up to 250 miles.

Do not forget that the car sets the maximum current. Your 3 tells the EVSE it can use up to 40A. The EVSE tells the car what it can supply and the car respects that. Ie if the supplied EVSE says 24A then the car:s charger charges at 24A, Going ovr=-er the car's max is a wasdte of money.

I just changed cars and my 40A evse charges my new car at 28,5A. Today I would make s 30A EVSE but the 40 works fine per the J1772 protocol. I just waste 10A.

GlennD said:
SageBrush said:
Oilpan4 said:

Do not forget that the car sets the maximum current. Your 3 tells the EVSE it can use up to 40A. The EVSE tells the car what it can supply and the car respects that. Ie if the supplied EVSE says 24A then the car:s charger charges at 24A, Going ovr=-er the car's max is a wasdte of money.

I just changed cars and my 40A evse charges my new car at 28,5A. Today I would make s 30A EVSE but the 40 works fine per the J1772 protocol. I just waste 10A.
I think you are saying that the charge rate is the lesser of of the maximum that the car can take or the EVSE can supply. That is correct.
My case is the reverse of yours: my home EVSE maxes out at 32 Amp while the car is able to take up to 48 Amps so I end up with a 32 Amp charge rate. That is fine for home; on the road I appreciate knowing that that my car can take advantage of 48 Amp Tesla destination EVSEs.

Back