Formula E News

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rdhauser said:
Here's a link to the full race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8_63_hlhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very fun. I'd appreciate more audio from the cars.

Really? I had the opposite reaction but maybe it was a "Fox 1" thing. I often had a hard time hearing the announcers on Fox because the sound guys seemed intent on overlaying EVERYTHING so heavily with the sound of the running cars. I'ts nice to hear, but it doesn't have to be constant. I'd like to hear the announcers too, interspersed with intense cockpit sounds from time to time. They need to do a better job getting vocals "on top of" the ambient noise instead of buried in it, and then having periods where the announcers shut up for a minute and let the race sounds have full reign.

Nubo said:
I often had a hard time hearing the announcers on Fox because the sound guys seemed intent on overlaying EVERYTHING so heavily with the sound of the running cars.
+1. Audio sucked on the broadcast. It seemed like they wanted to make up for the lack of engine sound by drowning out the commentary with amplified tire and motor/gear noise. I missed much of what the announcers were saying.

TT

Is anyone going to the Formula E race in Long Beach on the 4th? I'm headed down and I'm going to be meeting a group of friends at Famous Dave's Bar-B-Que between 1pm-3pm for a meal between the practice session and the race. (Its at race turn 3). Were meeting out back on the patio, and it would be cool to meet some others there as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/wRnkC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

long_beach_carousel.jpg

I will be at the Marriott Renaissance both Friday and Saturday night.

During much of the race day, I should be with the "RushX" group (Tesla owners).

http://rushx.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This might be "off topic", but aside from the paint jobs and sponsors, they're the same car, right? Does(n't) anyone else find this unexciting/boring and/or a bit silly? Or is it only for the first couple of years? The regular F1 ICE cars aren't all the same, are they?! Formula 1 "newbie" here...

This is the first year, so they kept all the cars identical. Next year they will let each team build their own cars. Gotta' keep the permutations of complications at a lower level while everyone learns the ropes.

And yes, Formula 1 cars are different for each team, though they all use engines from one of 3 or 4 builders.

Formula E unveils their Gen 2 Formula E racecar:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TypQX-Jx0hI[/youtube]

Formula E said:
Designed to be used for the next three seasons, the car will make its competitive debut in the 2018/19 season of the series. With almost double the energy storage capacity and double the range of the current car, the Gen2 will enable the teams and drivers to complete a full race at higher speeds, without making a mid-race car swap. With all that, the Gen2 car is clear proof of the advancements in battery and electric motor technology achieved in the space of only four years, which will eventually make its way into everyday electric road cars.

mbender said:
This might be "off topic", but aside from the paint jobs and sponsors, they're the same car, right? Does(n't) anyone else find this unexciting/boring and/or a bit silly? Or is it only for the first couple of years? The regular F1 ICE cars aren't all the same, are they?! Formula 1 "newbie" here...
I realize your question is over two years old, but I didn't see a reply. It appears the new car is also the same for all drivers. But I will note that this is not the first race series where the drivers had the same car. IIRC, that was the entire point of the IROC racing series: identical cars, test the drivers.

Here's the news of the official release of the Gen 2 Formula E car:
Formula E said:
With a top speed of 280 km/h (174 mph) and the ability to travel double the distance of our current car, the Gen2 car means there's no need for a mid-race car swap from Season Five onwards.
Here's are the specifications:

Length - 5160 mm
Width - 1770 mm
Height - 1050 mm
Front track - 1553 mm
Rear track - 1505 mm
Ride height - 75 mm (max)
Wheelbase - 3100 mm

Minimum weight (inc. driver) - 900 kg (battery - 385 kg)

Maximum power - 250 kW, equivalent to 335 bhp
Race mode (maximum power available) - 200 kW, equivalent to 270 bhp
Maximum power regeneration - 250 kW
The amount of energy that can be delivered to the MGU (the motor) by the RESS (the battery) is limited to 54 kWh. This will be permanently monitored by the FIA.

Maximum speed - 280 km/h (174 mph)

Acceleration - 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 2.8 seconds

Tyres - Bespoke 18-inch MICHELIN Pilot Sport tyres for use in both wet and dry conditions.

Brakes - Brembo package; bespoke carbon discs and pads 278 mm in diameter at the front and 263 mm at the rear, callipers and tandem master cylinder - brake-by-wire at the rear.

InsideEVs had a piece on the two power modes in the new car. I found this statement a bit odd:
InsideEVs said:
It has declared that a point will no longer awarded for the driver who sets the fastest lap, and will replace this with a “new energy management parameter” to award a point to the most efficient driver instead.
I know that Indy Car races have been won with efficiency (by avoiding a pit stop), but it's almost like they are rewarding hypermiling on the racetrack. Wouldn't it be more interesting to make it damn-near impossible to complete the race if you remain in high-power mode for the full race so that this is something the crews have to manage to come out ahead?

The CEO of Formula E racing must see a LOT of value in that since he is proposing to BUY the whole shebang for €660M:
InsideEVs said:
In the letter, dated today and addressed to the chairman of the Formula E board of directors, Agag writes: “As an entrepreneur I would like to increase my interest in the business and influence in its future direction.

“I strongly believe in the future of Formula E and this offer is an expression of that confidence.

“For this reason I would like to make a proposal to buy all the shares in the company at a value of €600m equity value.”

Back