How To: Reverse Backup Camera for SV Model w/ OEM Telematics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in Seattle. We will only have the car for another year before the lease is up. Im just looking for a really cheap camera because my mom wishes she had one.

scottie said:
I am in Seattle. We will only have the car for another year before the lease is up. Im just looking for a really cheap camera because my mom wishes she had one.

In that case it may work out for you, only thing is the image will be reversed with an aftermarket camera.

Any updates on this?

I have a 2013 SL but no cameras. I would really like the reverse camera. I am still unclear if the wiring is somewhere in my car I can get to if I buy the camera and rear hatch handle to mount it to if this would be easy to get working. I really don't want to have to take out the nav screen and pull pins out o connectors.

kevinleaf said:
Any updates on this?

I have a 2013 SL but no cameras. I would really like the reverse camera. I am still unclear if the wiring is somewhere in my car I can get to if I buy the camera and rear hatch handle to mount it to if this would be easy to get working. I really don't want to have to take out the nav screen and pull pins out o connectors.

I was rear ended and bought the harness and stock camera wires etc online to give to the body shop to install. I also have a 2013 SL and he had to wire everything from the camera to the nav unit.

I have read through all the thread, however people who installed an OEM camera on 2013 SV model - can you confirm that all SV models miss the wire from C pillar to drivers side kickpanel?

Thanks for your answers.

4n7h0ny said:
scottie said:

In that case it may work out for you, only thing is the image will be reversed with an aftermarket camera.

There are tons of reversed cameras on Ebay. The real problem is mounting it in the right spot so the lines are accurate.

lipcius said:
I have read through all the thread, however people who installed an OEM camera on 2013 SV model - can you confirm that all SV models miss the wire from C pillar to drivers side kickpanel?

Thanks for your answers.

My 2013 SV did not have wires from the C pillar to the kickpanel so I added my own video cable and wires.

GlennD said:
There are tons of reversed cameras on Ebay.
Where? How do you find them?
Searching for "reverse" doesn't work - that just returns all the cameras ("back up", "rear view", "reverse").

After a quick search this one looks good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Car-Rear-View-Reverse-Backup-Parking-Camera-CMOS-CCD-IR-Night-Vision-/321412623559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad5af6cc7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weisea said:
lipcius said:

Thanks for your answers.

My 2013 SV did not have wires from the C pillar to the kickpanel so I added my own video cable and wires.

I have connected the OEM camera according to all instructions in this thread, however I get only black screen with parking lines. I saw couple of 2013 SV owners had the same and some gave up with OEM camera. Can please someone confirm to make this work with OEM camera?

lipcius said:
Weisea said:
lipcius said:

Thanks for your answers.

I have connected the OEM camera according to all instructions in this thread, however I get only black screen with parking lines. I saw couple of 2013 SV owners had the same and some gave up with OEM camera. Can please someone confirm to make this work with OEM camera?

I ran fire alarm cable from home depot since it's a 4 wire + shield. I'm going to show my list from B18 > B3:

1. V+ 13 > 6
2. V- 12 > 5
3. Sig 18 > 4
4. Shield 17 > 3
5. Signifier ground 11 > 22

I cajoled sumitomo to send me a "sample" of male terminal ends since there isn't enough in the old hatch harnesses for it to work.

Hope it works. I also have notes showing 57 V+, 58 V-, 59 sig, 60 Shield, 56 signifier ground. I'm not sure if that's what's on the connector case?

2jfDdT.jpg

mKJxUd.jpg

4pAOMS.jpg

ipcjPkGGj

U8mqtg.jpg

I know these are giant, I don't have the time or wherewithal to resize them.

I remember now: The schematic I was using was WRONG for a 2013. The pins were in the wrong spots, however the wire colors mirrored what went into B18 and I compared the "new" B18 to the old, isolated what wires were what, metered the connection from the camera (which didn't change) and at the camera Red = V+, White = V-, Black = Signal, shield was bare?, and the signifier came from the ground eye so that was easy to find with the DVOM. It's not super simple but if you're half-ass with a meter you should be fine. Oh, I also attached a pic of the hole I drilled - I used one of the brass colored step bits from HF and sorta eyeballed it, no leaks so far.

Man, reading back this is not a very helpful post, sorry. :(

Thanks everyone for the help. I finally got my backup camera to work. I used one (same as wires) from a 2012 Leaf. However my Leaf is 2013, so the connector's layout didn't match when "plug and play". We had to find and trace the right connections of the wires from the drivers kickside connector to the camera. Now it works flawless.

lipcius said:
Thanks everyone for the help. I finally got my backup camera to work. I used one (same as wires) from a 2012 Leaf. However my Leaf is 2013, so the connector's layout didn't match when "plug and play". We had to find and trace the right connections of the wires from the drivers kickside connector to the camera. Now it works flawless.

I have a 2013 leaf sv as well, how did you get your camera to work? I have been stumped trying to figure this out, going over this thread a bunch. I cannot for the life of me find how to wire my camera into my h/u. Do you perhaps have any photos of the connector inside your kickpanel? I'm using an aftermarket camera, so I don't have a 2012 harness to use.

dp9242000 said:
lipcius said:

I have a 2013 leaf sv as well, how did you get your camera to work? I have been stumped trying to figure this out, going over this thread a bunch. I cannot for the life of me find how to wire my camera into my h/u. Do you perhaps have any photos of the connector inside your kickpanel? I'm using an aftermarket camera, so I don't have a 2012 harness to use.

My 2013 SV was missing the harness from the camera to the drivers kick side panel. So I put the original harness (from 2012 car) from the camera to the C pillar in the back of the car (since it was OEM, there was no problem with these), and from there some 5 different color cables to the drivers kick side panel.

The connections between the connectors were mixed on the way, so we had to figure exactly which cable from the front goes to the camera and trace it. As I remember this is the correct layout in the drivers side kick panel:
B3 to M21 pins: 8,9,25,24 & 7: Shield, video, common, +6.2V & camera sense(grounded)

So be sure that video signal from camera goes to 8,9, the power for the camera goes to 24-25 and the 7 is shielded. That way it should work. It's easy to find these connectors as B3 in these places is empty, whie the M21 continues with cables (to the navigation unit).

Does anyone know what would be left if the LEAF's backup camera was liberated from the tailgate handle? My wife isn't all that happy with the $20 camera I fitted to her Volt and I was wondering if I could retrofit a LEAF's (since that's one I know I'm happy with). The only thing is, it would probably need to be inside a housing of it's own that, in turn, is fitted into the handle for that to work.

Edit: Never mind...found a good thread here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm having no luck on the install so far. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
My 2013 SV didn't have pins in 56, 59, or 60. So I added them from some motherboard header wires. The fit appears perfect, and I'm fairly confident that they should be making contact with the heady it.

56 is grounded to a head unit mounting screw and
59 and 60 are run to rear camera which is powered by the reverse lights.

When I put the leaf in reverse I get nothing, the head unit doesn't act like it knows that the car is in reverse,

Is there something that needs to be connected to reverse lights, or a setting that needs to be enabled?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tried and failed today to follow the instructions on my 2012 SV. Not sure which pins are which and my colors are different that described. The original images are gone, adding to the "ugh" factor. I am going to leave the camera installed in the back and try to pick this up later on when I am a little more comfortable knowing what I am tapping into.

Has anyone added a backup camera to a 2012 SV? Looks like the original post was for this model but the pictures no longer show and some additional info would be useful.

Back