URGENT! - Cannot charge anymore !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys, good to know !

got a call back from the dealer, they found a dozens of error codes, after clearing them the car started charging again.

While investigating they found the weird trunk cable i was asking about here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After seeing that after market mod they stopped and put the blame on it, they recommended removing it and sealing the battery, guy say it could be water condensation through the cable holes giving those error codes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and labor to clear the code and find that cable $200 ish.... :oops: :cry:

Now the here is the killer, they estimate a few grand to get that cable removed and battery sealed to avoid condensation :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Im going to pick the car tonight and think this through, im thinking about calling Nissan to see if they can help me, dealer want $$, Nissan might be kinder i hope...

Question for you guys, the dealer got this resolved by clearing the codes, how can i do this on my own next time it happens to me? im not ready to spend a few grand on getting a cable removed yet. want to balance all my option first but need to drive the car until then

keydiver said:

Oh geez, so i need to buy a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an android phone ? is there an easier way? i've got the leaf stat app working fine, too bad it doesnt support code clearing grrrr

511 Gids is obviously non nonsensical. There are other flags that essentially say "ignore this because of X error".

That cable could easily have caused the HV isolation failure. The system is quite sensitive.

Leaf spy will work with WiFi adapters now, so you don't need a new one of those. You will need an Android phone/tablet and $14 for the LeafSpy Pro. You can get cheap android phones for $40 (search the forum). Doesn't need to have service, obviously.

I believe Engineer (the one on the forum, not the bankrupt company) has removed one of these cables before. My guess is that it taps into HV wiring for the charger, not the actual pack itself.

If it were my car, I'd pay the money for the diagnostics and thank goodness that it wasn't more. I'd then find a way to better seal the pack. I'd get it removed, ASAP. I'd either go ahead and pay the few grand to the dealer, find out what shops were/are doing the installations and see if they would give you a quote on the "deinstall", or see if the forum could give you a referral to someone who could fix it without killing the car or themselves.

As far as getting an android device, check around on eBay or amongst your acquaintances. I'm sure you can find someone's antiquated android smartphone for almost nothing. Pretty despicable for someone to sell you the car without disclosing that cable.

kilimats said:
Question for you guys, the dealer got this resolved by clearing the codes, how can i do this on my own next time it happens to me? im not ready to spend a few grand on getting a cable removed yet. want to balance all my option first but need to drive the car until then
Do you mean the LEAF will now charge once they cleared all the high voltage codes?

But even if you use LEAF Spy Pro to clear codes that is a short at best and dangerous unwise at worst approach.
Clearly the range extension cables tie in to the high voltage wiring "splice" is failing and the failure is getting worse with time, which usually happens with that kind of failure.
You just need to find someone like the person that put in the range extension cables that can cost effectively and properly remove them and long term properly repair the high voltage cables.
Of course who put it in to start with may have done a poor job or it would not be failing this soon.
No way it should be direct into pack.
Pack is pressure test and leak tight with contactor inside and has been demonstrated to survive severe flooding.
If that is what was done --- Incompetent.

Was bad practice for anyone to sell the car with these in place, unless they disclosed the fact.
But used vehicle sales are often done under an as is buyer beware basis.
You may have just lost big in the game of chance of used car purchasing.

kilimats said:
Thanks guys, good to know !

got a call back from the dealer, they found a dozens of error codes, after clearing them the car started charging again.

While investigating they found the weird trunk cable i was asking about here http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18074" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After seeing that after market mod they stopped and put the blame on it, they recommended removing it and sealing the battery, guy say it could be water condensation through the cable holes giving those error codes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and labor to clear the code and find that cable $200 ish.... :oops: :cry:

Now the here is the killer, they estimate a few grand to get that cable removed and battery sealed to avoid condensation :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Im going to pick the car tonight and think this through, im thinking about calling Nissan to see if they can help me, dealer want $$, Nissan might be kinder i hope...

That looks like a hack installation job and the tape used to isolate that cable is an extreme hazard waiting to happen. If that is connected to the pack and is not properly installed and isolated you have a huge HV hazard. That picture is very scary and moisture is the least of the concerns I would have.

Ya this is scary stuff, turns out the trunk cable rubber cap came off (probably from a stuff moving around in the back), they've dried it, put the cap back on and tape it real good. the code didnt come back after that and charging worked fine.

If this issue comes back ill have to spend the $$ to take it off, they actually traced the cable and it goes through that OEM hole on the floor, goes along the bottom of the battery pack and goes back above it, they couldnt find any holes on the battery so seems safe, its just that exposed connector that was EXTREMELY dangerous (now sealed with rubber cap and gorilla tape)

I'll get an android ready just in case, ill keep you guys updated. Charged me $250 after tax, could have been worse

sucks that i got this poorly made modification on my car, i guess the dealer didnt know, the previous owner brought it in for a quick sale and didnt mention what he did grrrr

kilimats said:
... the previous owner brought it in for a quick sale and didnt mention what he did grrrr
Sad that so many individuals and even large corporations such as Disney have adopted the approach that anything legal is OK :cry: :cry: :cry:
Why do so few care about ethical behaviour :?: :?:

TimLee said:
kilimats said:
... the previous owner brought it in for a quick sale and didnt mention what he did grrrr
Sad that so many individuals and even large corporations such as Disney have adopted the approach that anything legal is OK :cry: :cry: :cry:
Why do so few care about ethical behaviour :?: :?:

Came out wrong, that was just my guess, no idea what happen

kilimats said:
Ya this is scary stuff, turns out the trunk cable rubber cap came off (probably from a stuff moving around in the back), they've dried it, put the cap back on and tape it real good. the code didnt come back after that and charging worked fine.

If this issue comes back ill have to spend the $$ to take it off, they actually traced the cable and it goes through that OEM hole on the floor, goes along the bottom of the battery pack and goes back above it, they couldnt find any holes on the battery so seems safe, its just that exposed connector that was EXTREMELY dangerous (now sealed with rubber cap and gorilla tape)

I'll get an android ready just in case, ill keep you guys updated. Charged me $250 after tax, could have been worse

sucks that i got this poorly made modification on my car, i guess the dealer didnt know, the previous owner brought it in for a quick sale and didnt mention what he did grrrr
Wait. Did a DEALER sell you the car in this condition? If so, I'd push back REALLY hard, and take it up the line to Nissan corporate. Stress how unsafe this is, and how outrageous it is that it wasn't disclosed...cause it is REALLY outrageous. They should remove it for free and be glad they aren't on the hook for someone getting killed.

davewill said:
kilimats said:

Wait. Did a DEALER sell you the car in this condition? If so, I'd push back REALLY hard, and take it up the line to Nissan corporate. Stress how unsafe this is, and how outrageous it is that it wasn't disclosed...cause it is REALLY outrageous. They should remove it for free and be glad they aren't on the hook for someone getting killed.

unfortunately it was from a private dealer and was 6 month ago and they made me sign an AS IS / no warranty from us form, lesson learned i guess.. :(

kilimats said:
unfortunately it was from a private dealer and was 6 month ago and they made me sign an AS IS / no warranty from us form, lesson learned i guess.. :(
Ah. At least they didn't breach the pack. That should make this repair much less expensive. I bet you can find someone to fix this for a LOT less than the dealer quoted you, in that case. I'd search for a reputable shop that does EV conversions in your area to do the fix. It's important that they really know what they're doing around HV.

davewill said:
kilimats said:
Ah. At least they didn't breach the pack. That should make this repair much less expensive. I bet you can find someone to fix this for a LOT less than the dealer quoted you, in that case. I'd search for a reputable shop that does EV conversions in your area to do the fix. It's important that they really know what they're doing around HV.

Thanks, ive got a handful of way to deal with this, ill think about it over the course of this month...IF THE CAR LAST THAT LONG haha

is it possible to run leaf spy on a PC using http://www.andyroid.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

davewill said:

I didn't read where it doesn't breach the pack; seemed the dealership only got as far as following the cable to somewhere above the battery. At this point I haven't seen anything to show that these cables don't have the potential for ruining someone's day with 400 Volts DC.

kilimats said:
is it possible to run leaf spy on a PC using http://www.andyroid.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
In theory, that would work. However, I got a $25 pre-paid Kyocera Hydro phone from Boost Mobile (it runs Android 4.03) and it runs LeafSpy Pro just fine. Sometimes a small amount of money means a lot more convenience. :)

Back