Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are free)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redLEAF said:
I'm bringing my LEAF in the day before its 36 month anniversary so no charge for this 3rd battery check -- ... Had a 'free' tire rotation that was offered by the dealer awhile ago and the brake fluid is still fine so that's it
How does day before 36 month anniversary have anything to do with whether you are charged for the battery "test" :?:

Nissan warranty maintenance requirement on brake fluid flush is two years / 30,000 miles whichever comes first.
The maintenance requirement has nothing to do with the fluid condition or whether it technically needs to be flushed :shock:

TimLee said:
redLEAF said:
I'm bringing my LEAF in the day before its 36 month anniversary so no charge for this 3rd battery check -- ... Had a 'free' tire rotation that was offered by the dealer awhile ago and the brake fluid is still fine so that's it
How does day before 36 month anniversary have anything to do with whether you are charged for the battery "test" :?:

Nissan warranty maintenance requirement on brake fluid flush is two years / 30,000 miles whichever comes first.
The maintenance requirement has nothing to do with the fluid condition or whether it technically needs to be flushed :shock:

At least according to my Nissan dealer, if I waited one day past the car's 36 month anniversary, they would charge me for the battery 'check' that's to be done every 12 months (regardless of actual mileage); as far as the brake fluid, as long as it hasn't absorbed water, etc. (past its prime, so to speak) and passes the litmus test on acid levels, etc. it doesn't need to be changed yet -- I'd have my non-dealer mechanic do it anyway when needed; no real choice on the battery check by the Nissan dealer; that's BS on changing brake fluid before its due ... same aspect as changing the oil too often on an ICE, just more profits for the dealer/service center and a real waste of money

I had my 3rd battery test done today. Technically, my car is exactly one week out of warranty, but there was still no charge! :p I don't know if its because I called in before December 8th for the appointment, or if that is the dealership's policy. Either way, I was pretty relieved, after hearing about some owners in California getting charged $150 for their 3rd battery check.
Of course, although I am now down to 76% capacity, I got all 5 stars in every category. It actually surprised me that I didn't get dinged a star for either:
1) how quickly I accelerate off the line when the light turns green, or
2) I have occasionally restarted charging when *supposedly* the car has already performed a 100% charge.

keydiver said:
... after hearing about some owners in California getting charged $150 for their 3rd battery check.
Of course, although I am now down to 76% capacity, I got all 5 stars in every category ...

1) Not sure what my dealer would charge for the battery check but one good reason to ask first ... for $150, do they send the battery to a day spa or what, that's ridiculous

2) how many 'bars' have you lost? sounds like at least 3 because 80% charge (on a normal pack) will take off 2 bars from 'full'

redLEAF said:
how many 'bars' have you lost?

I have lost 2 Bars. I need to lose another 3 to 3.5% before I lose the 3rd Bar. With the cooler weather settling in, I doubt I will lose any % capacity for several months now.

I had my 3rd battery check done back in September, called 2 more or less conveniently located dealers, one wanted $125 (or was it $135?) another $65. Anyone can guess which one I went to?

I just did my 3 year check at Cool Springs Nissan. No charges and they did a dip test on brake fluid which showed no hydrogoscopic infiltration. I used my "points" which I didn't know I had to get new front and rear wiper blades. This dealership, especially Derrick the LEAF Guy, have been outstanding since delivery. Only 1 mile from Nissan HQ, so that may be the reason.

Started calling around for quotes. Unfortunately, the dealer closest to me (Imperio Nissan Garden Grove) wants $110. Ermm...no. I've got a call in to Costa Mesa Nissan (former Connell)...hope their prices haven't gone crazy with the new management. Stay tuned for more quotes.

Tustin Nissan - $57.50 (was $34 last year, according to Jeannie)
Surf City Nissan - $65
Stadium Nissan - $120 (but I'm to call him back once I'm done calling around and he'll give me the best price?).

So basically all over the place, price-wise.

I can't understand why the prices are all over the place like this. There has to be a book labor time for this, which should simply be multiplied X the shop's hourly labor rate. When I get by my dealer next time I'll stop and ask the shop supervisor, because this is ridiculous. If we knew the book time for the test, we could call out the dealers that are scamming.

keydiver said:
I can't understand why the prices are all over the place like this. There has to be a book labor time for this, which should simply be multiplied X the shop's hourly labor rate. When I get by my dealer next time I'll stop and ask the shop supervisor, because this is ridiculous. If we knew the book time for the test, we could call out the dealers that are scamming.
My Nissan service rep. looked it up when I called and said it was 0.3 hours. I got charged $27.60 for it.

dgpcolorado said:
keydiver said:
If we knew the book time for the test, we could call out the dealers that are scamming.
My Nissan service rep. looked it up when I called and said it was 0.3 hours. I got charged $27.60 for it.

I would certainly expect local labor rates to factor into a level of variation (eg: I wouldn't expect to pay $28 here in LA), but some dealers are simply taking the piss. :x

I think it's time we all started calling our local dealers for quotes, whether or not we actually need the service. We'll tabulate the data here, and MNL members will know which dealers deserve our custom and which should be given a wide berth.

I called Tustin Nissan back, to book my car in for Monday, since theirs was the best quote of the ones I got (my dealer - the former Connell Nissan - didn't call back at all, nor did the dealer closest to my office). Once again I asked how much, just to make sure it wasn't going to be any more than previously quoted. Well, all of a sudden we're back down to the $34 that Jeannie remembered it to be as of last May, and this guy inadvertently told me the book time as he was figuring it out what it would cost in his head - 3/10ths of an hour, as noted by dgpcolorado.

So Monday it is, and I'm going to have the much despised P3227 update done while I'm there. :(

mwalsh said:
... I'm going to have the much despised P3227 update done while I'm there. :(
I guess with less than one year and a little less than 11,000 miles left for the capacity warranty and the hope to clear B0133 with the new settlement you need to know where you really stand on capacity bars.
Good luck.

Impressed with Tustin Nissan. Price as agreed. No upsell pressure for other stuff (even stuff on the maintenance schedule that I'm skipping for now, like cabin filter replacement), which is weird, because their Yelp reviews are all over the place on this issue.

Dredging up a thread from a year ago...

It's that time of year - i'll need my 3rd (four years of leafing) annual battery check. I guess I call around to my local dealer options for prices, but do I really need this? warranty is for 5 years, right? Or does the battery check support a different warranty? I've got just under 24k miles on the car and still show 12 bars...

essaunders said:

It's that time of year - i'll need my 3rd (four years of leafing) annual battery check. I guess I call around to my local dealer options for prices, but do I really need this? warranty is for 5 years, right? Or does the battery check support a different warranty? I've got just under 24k miles on the car and still show 12 bars...

Technically it affects the 8 year/100,000mile manufacturing defects warranty as this was the only available warranty for 11/12 Leafs at the time of purchase when new and the annual battery check is the original requirement.

Valdemar said:
essaunders said:

Technically it affects the 8 year/100,000mile manufacturing defects warranty as this was the only available warranty for 11/12 Leafs at the time of purchase when new and the annual battery check is the original requirement.

So does this mean say a 2012 Leaf would have 8 years/100,000 miles to qualify for a new battery once it's down to 8 bars?

No, capacity loss is covered for 5 years/60k miles only, but Nissan will replace a failed battery module or dead LBC under the manufacturing defects and workmanship coverage up to 8 years/100k miles, and to maintain this warranty one must perform annual battery checks, according to warranty terms anyway.

Just dropping in to say that I did actually skip the annual battery check this year - coincidental to the anniversary of my in-service date they were pulling the old battery pack out and installing the brand new one, so (to myself) I'm like, "Umm...I really don't think that's necessary".

Back