Spare Tire Carrier

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been Following this thread for a while, and excited to see the outcome.
After your beta batch please add me to your list for purchase.
I was wondering if your spare tire kit will be compatible with the Bill Davis quick release hitch.
Thanks for all your hard work
Hairy

HairyCairy said:
Been Following this thread for a while, and excited to see the outcome.
After your beta batch please add me to your list for purchase.
I was wondering if your spare tire kit will be compatible with the Bill Davis quick release hitch.
Thanks for all your hard work
Hairy

No, it is not compatible. There's no easy way to make it compatible.

I did start to build a hitch for me, but I've been completely sidetracked since about May. My own 2012 LEAF still does not have a spare tire carrier; the old one off the 2011 LEAF is sitting in my garage, gathering dust.

:(

I would like one SoCal LEAF that I can use for a few days as a model for the revised spare tire carrier. You get the whole thing installed (with tire) for $100.

FOB San Diego.

I need the car for several days.

First come, first served. One only.

Tony

I'd be interested in the spare tire carrier (I am in NorCal) - I have the Altima spare.

Thanks,
Raoul

I just added a spare to my Leaf, this thread shows how i did it:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am interested in the spare tire carrier if you are still selling them. Please send me more info on purchasing.

Thanks,
Rich

If that is the case how about specifics detsils and pictures so people can diy it?

IBELEAF said:
I am interested in something like that and i would consider getting one if the price below $50 for the kit and assuming the installation is straightforward.
what a CHANCER (cheapskate)

I'd prefer to get this as a complete kit - hardware, installation, wheel, tire, jack, handle - and installation. For that I'd probably pay $350, maybe $450 if there was some kind of warranty, for any more than that it would have to have a way to raise/lower the spare without crawling under the car.

Just to reconfirm: US Nissan Dealerships CANNOT order non-US market parts. I just received a call from a guy looking for 403001YA7A. Anyone wanting this will have to consult a dealer outside the states.
Thank you.

LEAF spare wheel (rim)
Part number 403001ya7a
66.1mm center hub diameter
Bolt pattern 5 x 114.3 or 5 x 4.5 inches
Can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA or Canada

Almost 10 years ago, I started this thread about a “spare tire carrier” project. I had this installed on my very first 2011 Nissan LEAF, and maybe my second 2012 Nissan LEAF (don’t remember). My third LEAF was a 2017.

Now (October 2021), I’ve purchased a 4th LEAF, a used 2011 model that will used to drive the 10th anniversary of BC2BC electric vehicle rally from Mexico to Canada.

I just mounted the old spare tire carrier on the car, and made some minor improvements to the unit. The tire drops out of the bottom with a cable, and a small “winch” sucks it back up.

Is this a product anybody would have an interest in? It was hard to get people interested in it when the cars were brand new in 2012, so I can’t imagine that has changed much.

I have no idea what changes, if any, would be required for a 2013-2021 LEAF. The 2011-2012 were more complicated because there was an electric parking brake mounted in the same spot, so 2013-2021 should be easier!

Here are some Nissan parts (and their prices in 2012) that would be associated with this project:

SPARE WHEEL / TIRE:

$140.40
Tire - T125/90D16 98M

LEAF spare wheel (rim)
Part number 403001ya7a
66.1mm center hub diameter
Bolt pattern 5 x 114.3 or 5 x 4.5 inches
Can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA or Canada

-or-

$184
Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership
Part number 40300-L31010, 66.1mm center hub diameter

LIFT / JACK:

LEAF jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties)

-or-

$33.08
2002-2006 Nissan Altima Jack: 99550-L31001

TOOL KIT:

The tool kit 99501-4J800 sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

-or-

$7.15
Nissan Altima 2002-2006 Lug wrench: 99545

Back