Is there any way to add a cruise control kit to the S?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From your profile it looks like you JUST got your Leaf (welcome to the forum).
Unfortunately, I think that "kit" is called an SV :roll:

I share your pain. I bought a base S, a few weeks later my wife decided she liked the Leaf but wanted the alloy wheels and white interior (only available on the SV). The one the dealer had on the lot already had the QC package. The things I miss most on my S are the Cruise Control and the Quick Charge... Ah well, live and learn.

BTW, one thing I now would have paid for on both is the backup camera, this car has the worst back window visibility of any car I've owned.

arjcom29 said:
Looking to add cruise control to my S if it's possible..Any ideas?
I'm sure it is possible, but I have not read of anyone doing this yet. Whether it can be done cost effectively is another matter.
Last experience I had with retrofitting cruise control was on an early 1980s Chevrolet Chevette. Worked for TVA a federal agency and GSA at that time would not buy anything but the most stripped down Chevrolet Chevette (no cruise control, manual shift, might have had a radio). We bought aftermarket cruise control (J C Whitney if I recall correctly) and had installed. Total cost under $200 at that time.
I did check J C Whitney, they still sell aftermarket Rostra Precision Controls cruise control for many vehicles, for prices in the range of 150.45 - $353.36. But the pull down for 2013 LEAF only had SV and SL options, and it didn't work.
That's probably where you should start looking, although I'm a bit skeptical that the LEAF S volume will be enough to get an aftermarket kit. But you never can tell. Maybe :?

I looked into this when I was spending 4 hours in 90+ degree weather at the dealer's lot. The cruise control's controls are built into the steering wheel, and would require a wheel transplant/control splice from a non-S donor car. Or all new parts, to the tune of just-lease-another-Leaf.

I have looked into it more in depth. There are two wires that run from the VCM to the cruise buttons on the wheel. I have verified that the wiring is not in place on the "S" so plug and play will not be an option. The clockspring (the devise that passes the wiring from the steering column to the steering wheel) is the same on all trim levels but there are different part numbers for the "S" VCM vs. the "SL" & "SV" models. There are other significant differences between them than just the cruise control so there is a chance that the programming is there. The VCM is easy to get to so my next test will be to add the two wires and test to see if the programing is in the unit. I have already acquired a set of LEAF cruise control buttons but just about any Nissan cruise buttons should work. After Halloween is over and I have more time I will run the extra wires and see if anything happens.

I'm also curious about this. It's not a big deal, since I never drive the car for hours at a time (obviously), but I do like cruise control. Assumng the programing is there, and if someone can figure out the electrionics, it shoud be pretty easy. You could just put a momentary "set" switch on the dashboard, and wouldn't need to worry about the steering wheel. I assume if the programing is there, it will know when you apply the brakes too.

A very inelegant solution, if one really wanted it badly, they could add an aftermarket electric (not vacuum) system and connect the throttle servo to the accelerator pedal. I don't think I want it that badly.

Looking to do the same here. I'll post if I find anything. I'm only posting now so I can get the email notifications to this thread. Sorry I don't have anything useful to add yet.

I am looking into adding cruise control on my 2013 S and wondering if anything has changed out there in the past year? Has anyone added it ?

I'm in the same boat. Unfortunately, I think it's more of a pain to add the cruise control than it would be to just live with it. As for the backup camera. I bet a car stereo shop could fix you up.

People have had success adding backups cameras to the Leaf's. Not sure on the 13+ S models if they have the harnesses installed or not like the older cars. However for most it was just a matter of buying the bezel, camera, and installing the stuff. I would think for the S it should be plug and play as well because it seems Nissan doesn't like spending money designing special parts.

As far as the DCQC plug goes don't feel bad guys. I bought the QC option on my car thinking they would be rolling these chademo stations out, and I have never even seen a single one. I think the next time I drive the truck or our diesel car to DC I am just going to go see one so I can at least see what it looks like.

Roadburner440 said:
People have had success adding backups cameras to the Leaf's. Not sure on the 13+ S models if they have the harnesses installed or not like the older cars. However for most it was just a matter of buying the bezel, camera, and installing the stuff. I would think for the S it should be plug and play as well because it seems Nissan doesn't like spending money designing special parts.

As far as the DCQC plug goes don't feel bad guys. I bought the QC option on my car thinking they would be rolling these chademo stations out, and I have never even seen a single one. I think the next time I drive the truck or our diesel car to DC I am just going to go see one so I can at least see what it looks like.

I agree, the cruise control is probably there, just missing the buttons to activate it. Since the leaf is drive by wire, adding cruise control should be as simple as getting the buttons and the car to recognize it. Not like the cruise control on a gas car that requires actual mechanical components to be installed.

knightmb said:
I agree, the cruise control is probably there, just missing the buttons to activate it. Since the leaf is drive by wire, adding cruise control should be as simple as getting the buttons and the car to recognize it. Not like the cruise control on a gas car that requires actual mechanical components to be installed.

Interesting theory, and it should be very easy to find out:
cruiseswitch.jpg

As you can see, all of the cruise related switches are simply different resistors to ground, which will send a different voltage/signal to pin #104 of the VCM. The voltages are on this chart:
cruisevolts.jpg

Without having a cruise switch to measure the 4 different resistor values, or knowing the resistor value of the divider network built into the VCM, you will just need to use trial-and-error to find the correct resistor values. I'd just use a potentiometer. The first one I would try is the simple 4 volt/switch to ground=turn cruise ON/OFF. If the dash display comes on, I'd say your theory is correct. :)

keydiver said:
knightmb said:

Interesting theory, and it should be very easy to find out:
cruiseswitch.jpg

As you can see, all of the cruise related switches are simply different resistors to ground, which will send a different voltage/signal to pin #104 of the VCM. The voltages are on this chart:
cruisevolts.jpg

Without having a cruise switch to measure the 4 different resistor values, or knowing the resistor value of the divider network built into the VCM, you will just need to use trial-and-error to find the correct resistor values. I'd just use a potentiometer. The first one I would try is the simple 4 volt/switch to ground=turn cruise ON/OFF. If the dash display comes on, I'd say your theory is correct. :)
The only issue I see is if the dash even has a "cruise on" light, even if we did figure what turns it on/off, we would not know when we had it "on" but only by memory or the car keeps driving when letting off the accelerator. Thanks for the diagram, it does look straight forward for testing. :D

OK, so im dying to know, has anyone tried this..
Tech seems simple enough, and should absolutely work...
also, forgive me, I am new, if NO one has tried this I will!!
Where is the VCM? is in behind the glove box with the pedestrian sound module??

I will absolutely try this..

In addition, I cant help but ask.. any one know or have done this.. I
was to TURN OFF the VSP NOTHING else, I was able to remove all sounds from the car by unplugging the VSP module..
however I got rid of the back up beep, and the turn on chimes..
All I want to be able to turn on and Off is the VSP sound when im moving..
any one done this?? know what PIN on the VSP I need to put a switch into??

<BUMP>
Anyone got anything on this??
I might try and locate the VCM myself, im thinking behind the glove box.. BUT any help would be much appreciated...
also, Im still hoping to hear back as to which PINS I need to interrupt with a switch to be able to turn on and off the JUST the VSP
Thanks everyone

Thetaz01 said:
OK, so im dying to know, has anyone tried this..
Tech seems simple enough, and should absolutely work...
also, forgive me, I am new, if NO one has tried this I will!!
Where is the VCM? is in behind the glove box with the pedestrian sound module??

I will absolutely try this..

In addition, I cant help but ask.. any one know or have done this.. I
was to TURN OFF the VSP NOTHING else, I was able to remove all sounds from the car by unplugging the VSP module..
however I got rid of the back up beep, and the turn on chimes..
All I want to be able to turn on and Off is the VSP sound when im moving..
any one done this?? know what PIN on the VSP I need to put a switch into??

I am preparing to, still getting warranty work finished up on mine before I start really diving in to this. Probably going to suspend the front wheels off the ground when testing in case cruise gets stuck for example :eek:

knightmb said:
I am preparing to, still getting warranty work finished up on mine before I start really diving in to this. Probably going to suspend the front wheels off the ground when testing in case cruise gets stuck for example :eek:

HAHAH.. Nice..
can you tell me.. where is the VCM Module??
is it behind the glove box.. I have time this weekend, I am all for giving it a shot if I can get a firm location on the VCM..
also would you happen to know what pins on the VSP would allow me to shut off the VSP Sound??
PS great point... I think I will also jack up the front with a jack and some jack stands.. JUST IN CASE!!

Thetaz01 said:
can you tell me.. where is the VCM Module?? is it behind the glove box..

Yes, it appears to be behind the glove box. This picture is with the glove box cover removed:
vcm.jpg

I think I will also jack up the front with a jack and some jack stands.. JUST IN CASE!!

I think that is a bit extreme. The CC will not engage unless you are already doing 25 mph. So, you should be able to see if the "Cruise" lamp on the dash comes on, and even test for the different resistor values without the car even moving or taken out of Park.

Back