Adding a 12 volt outlet to rear of center console w/ pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatricioEV

With two teens in the car constantly, one of them usually needs to charge something. I added a 12 volt outlet to the back of the center console, so someone in the back seat can charge an ipod or phone while we're in the car. You don't really need to unplug anything; it's pretty easy. Remove two screws, pop off a few panels, fish some wire and tap into the existing 12 volt power in the dash. Step by step below:

Pretty much all you'll need (plus one small, thin flat head screw driver):

Here's the existing 12 volt source we'll tap into:

And where we're going to put the outlet:

First, pop off this panel that's just held in by clips:

Remove the two rearward, outer screws:

Move the seat forward and pop off rear cover of console (held in by clips only):

I think these brackets are to hold a slide out cup holder, but it was deleted so as not to impede access to "kill switch" in floor.

Move seat back and pop off trim around shifter and slide aside:

You can see all the empty space below to run the wires:

Pop off cup holder and slide aside:

Just pull the center stack face off (gently):

Pull up on the bottom to clear these two tabs:

Here's the existing wiring we're going to tap into:

Here's what the outlet looks like and how we install it in the rear panel. You'll need a 1 1/8" hole saw for this particular outlet:

So we just need to put some connectors on the wiring that came with the new outlet since it wasn't long enough to reach our destination:

And fish the wiring through to our destination:

Here is the final destination, but there's not enough room in there to work (blue +/black -):

We just pop this out of the console with a small, flat screwdriver:

And attach our new wires with some clips (blue Nissan wire is positive, black is ground):

From there, just push the power outlet back in and pop all the panels back on. Here you can see an iPad charger lit up in front and back.

Now, this is very important! If you decide to unhook the connectors in any of these panels to have more room to work, and then decide to turn the car on and test the new outlet before putting it all back together - then you'll probably throw a couple of bad codes when you're finally finished. You may have codes for an airbag or a "Visit Dealer" warning. Not to worry, do a google search for both of these. This forum already has quick easy fixes for them!

Would this be too much fuss?

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cigarette-3-Way-Car-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Power-Adapter-DC-USB-12V-24V-/321350610670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kieranmullen said:

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cigarette-3-Way-Car-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-Charger-Power-Adapter-DC-USB-12V-24V-/321350610670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously. When I got to "Just pull the center stack face off (gently)"
I thought "Why not just use a splitter and run an extension along the center console outer edge???" You could even push the wire up under the edge...

LeftieBiker said:
kieranmullen said:

Seriously. When I got to "Just pull the center stack face off (gently)"
I thought "Why not just use a splitter and run an extension along the center console outer edge???" You could even push the wire up under the edge...

Because that is far less cool and clean.

It is nice to see how the console snaps apart. It may motivate me to better hide my control head wires. I have been a big chicken on my leased car.

On a different subject, if you are adding an outlet then why not add one with USB sockets?

How can one change it to always have power to the socket?

Also it would be nice to wire to the drive train battery to run a 1000 watt act inverterrather than something small off the 12v battery

mxp said:
Thanks for the write-up! It looks factory oem.

kieranmullen said:

Those suck and the usb makes a damned annoying whining noise. Grrrrrr

Thanks OP for posting the how-to and pictures. Was very helpful when I installed my dual-usb in the back seat:

IMG_4593.JPG

A couple notes - use something smaller than 14awg (Nissan does, but I was overly cautious); also, my console didn't seem to have the brackets inside, so those of you hoping to install cupholders might want to check first! :eek:

Back